Taking Pics Of Moving Livestock

chris3_16

I just got a new camera for my birthday (Nikon L110) and I have ofcourse been trying to take some pics of my tank. Problem is, when I try to take the pics they turn out blurry unless I use sport mode. However when I use sport mode, there are lines running downward on the picture. Anyone know the cause of this. Is it the camera? Oh and by the way the lines only appear when I take pictures of the tank. If I use sport mode on other pics they do not appear.

The blur is most likely a slow shutterspeed. Taking sharp pics of moving fish in tanks can be tough, as tanks are relatively dark and in order to freeze motion, a fast shutterspeed needs to be used. In order to compensate for the quick shutter speed, lots of light is needed to expose the image sufficiently during that brief time.

As far as the lines go, sounds like it could be glare or a reflection. As Recty points out, a sample pic would really help here.

ok so here is a sample picture with all the lines i was talking about.

picture.php

Is that how the pic looks straight out of the camera or could it possibly be the result of compression being applied afterwards, such as during the conversion to jpg?

If you take a picture of a blank wall, are those lines there too?

nope that is the picture straight out of the camera, i dont adjust it or compress it at all. And it only does that when i use sport mode and take pictures of the tank.

are you using a point and shoot or dslr? in my experience to get good shots out of a reef tank you need to shoot in maunual mode and adjust the shutter speed and aperature yourself. to get good sharp shots of moving fish a nice flash is usually needed

its a point and shoot, not a dslr. But like I said before, it only happens with this camera on the sport/continuous mode, and it only happens when I take pics of the tank. I think it is a problem with the camera, I just wanted the expert's opinions.

Back