Talk to me about stray voltage in a tank

And the voltage itself may not be causing any of the issues, but maybe the short is? I'm assuming that if it shorted that it could have exposed some wires which is why I was feeling it.

Did you find exposed wires/a short? Or put a meter on it? Just saying that I suspect many people 'think' exposed wires when it's actually just induced voltage. I'm not an electrician, but I would have thought that if there really was a short or exposed wires that you get a major zap.

I feel a tingle ..... remove power-head ..... tingle goes away .... power-head must be faulty ...... well, maybe not. That's all I'm saying.

Do GFCI circuits last forever or do they need to be replaced periodically?

As stated they do not.. (but some can last a LONG..LONG time)
Thats also why "test" buttons are mandatory so that you can periodically test them to verify they are still working..

Just another in a long list of things most people/homeowners are not aware of nor do they do routinely..
We just bought a new house and I was very impressed that the Home Inspector we used walked us through GFCI/AFCI functionality, showed pilot lights, water shutoff, HVAC components, etc... Even though I know all about that I still let him go on for the benefit of my wife and you never know you might pick up a little fact that you didn't know from his experience..

Because it was easier to copy and paste from the internet here is the following
Voltage without current; Voltage is the name for electric potential difference. Whenever there is an electric field, there's an electric potential difference (since the electric field is the gradient of the potential).
A simple point charge generates an electric field (and therefore a voltage), but in the absence of other charged particles, there will be no current.
Pumps can create the electrical field without any current.
I took some readings this morning from my office tank with a rio 1700 return pump, and a mj1200 skimmer pump. Total voltage 3.34 volts 0 current. If I left it on for a while .01 milli amps would show up which is .0001 amps. Also all new GFCI receptacles are now self testing, but it is still a good idea to perform a manual test. If you purchase a GFCI make sure it is the self testing, some of the big boxes may have old stock?

Attachments

• 3.3V.jpg
    3.3V.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 00MA.jpg
    00MA.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 01MA.JPG
    01MA.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 0
:rollface:
We are starting to see signs of recovery from whatever the issue was. GSP polyps have started to pop back up. Frog spawn is looking better and my SPS has close to full polyp extension.

I don't think my torch is going to make it. All 3 of the 4 heads completely melted away and there's barely signs of life in the 4th head. Didn't catch it quick enough :sad1:

If you had an exposed wire or a short, I'd hope to goodness your GFCI would trip.

I had stray voltage/current in my 120 for the longest time, and eventually figured out (way too late from a safety standpoint, no one hurt, just can't believe I didn't figure it out sooner), it was my homemade T5 lighting wasn't grounded properly. Coincidentally, I struggled with HLLE in a tang and two angels in this tank, which is one of those things that is identified as a potentially contributing factor to HLLE.

In terms of your coral's health, I highly doubt any stray current/voltage would be an issue. In some parts, they use voltage/current to help with coral growth and restoration...

http://trawangandive.com/diving-and...ogram-on-gili-trawangan-lombok-indonesia.html

Back