Tangs Thread

Salty_

Hey guys! So I’m getting some new fish in a couple weeks. I’ll be adding some fritz turbo start to my tank sometime this week, and after another week I should get my fish in. I have a blonde naso tang, powder blue tang, orange shoulder tang and instead of a purple tang I’m hoping to get a gem tang in the future. My LFS said he could order but I want to make sure my tank is all set before I get him. So the question is I’ll be introducing the other 3 tangs together, will it really have a big impact if I introduce the gem tang a week later or sometime in the future? I’m also getting two triggers that I’m excited for, but let’s focus on the tangs.

You can pour turbo start 900 in your tank and immediately after that introduce your tangs in the tank. We do this everyday after bleaching out a system. Make sure to have sand and rock or some sort of media like balls or blocks that harbor bacteria.
I wouls use 5x the dose first time and then 1x for next day 3 days and you will be fine.

Another thing, Buy turbo start 900 from a source that is fresh and kept in fridge. It needs to be pink like tramsimmion fluid, if its grey or black or any other shade other than pink its already exhuasted or going out. in such case will take longer to cycle the tank.

I hope you have a ginormous tank, because that is an incredible fish load. Pouring bacteria in the tank isn't going to cure the husbandry issues with that many tangs plus triggers.

You can pour turbo start 900 in your tank and immediately after that introduce your tangs in the tank. We do this everyday after bleaching out a system. Make sure to have sand and rock or some sort of media like balls or blocks that harbor bacteria.
I wouls use 5x the dose first time and then 1x for next day 3 days and you will be fine.
Thank you so much! My tank has been running for several months now but I rinsed my rocks and depleted a lot of my good bacteria. That caused a lot of my fish to die. I still have some hardy ones left so thanks for the advice before I get my tangs. Looks like I’ll need around 40oz, I’ll add those the morning of the day I get my tangs or should I really wait and add fritz as the tangs acclimate for 30-45 mins and then add them to the tank with fritz. Over the next three days I’ll add another 8oz so total of 64 oz of fritz. I already have marinepure biospheres, 1 marine pure bio block in the tank. I just got in 6 polylab genesis rocks. Should I add them while the tank is fallow for 2 weeks or add them after adding fritz? I really appreciate the input!

Another thing, Buy turbo start 900 from a source that is fresh and kept in fridge. It needs to be pink like tramsimmion fluid, if its grey or black or any other shade other than pink its already exhuasted or going out. in such case will take longer to cycle the tank.
I purchased the one bottle from Amazon, they come packed with a cold pack. I saw the 32 oz bottles on saltwater aquarium.Com I’ll check the color of the bottle I have. Any source you recommend to ordering from?

Hey guys! So I’m getting some new fish in a couple weeks. I’ll be adding some fritz turbo start to my tank sometime this week, and after another week I should get my fish in. I have a blonde naso tang, powder blue tang, orange shoulder tang and instead of a purple tang I’m hoping to get a gem tang in the future. My LFS said he could order but I want to make sure my tank is all set before I get him. So the question is I’ll be introducing the other 3 tangs together, will it really have a big impact if I introduce the gem tang a week later or sometime in the future? I’m also getting two triggers that I’m excited for, but let’s focus on the tangs.
Also I just tested my ammonia and it’s still at .25 ppm, before the rocks rinse I was at zero ammonia. I did a small water change today, 30 gallons. Will wait and see.

I'm sorry, I might have missed where you indicated your tank size.

Having an adequate bacteria load isn't the holy grail. There is much more to keeping fish than an accelerated cycle. You are planning on some very high maintenance and delicate fish that have specific husbandry requirements. You need to slow down and let your tank mature, and add fish slowly.

I agree with @BrianD, What is your tank size?

Seems to be a 160 gallon system.

I agree with @BrianD, What is your tank size?
Sorry I should’ve clarified. I have a RedSea 750xxl, 200 gallon system. My tank has been running for more than a year. Equipment includes, Aquamaxx protein skimmer, 2 RedSea Wavemakers, 2 Mp40s, 3 RedSea 90 LEDs, I use a combination of marine biospheres, blocks and genesis rocks along with sand and around 60 lbs of live rock in the tank.

I'm sorry, I might have missed where you indicated your tank size.

Having an adequate bacteria load isn't the holy grail. There is much more to keeping fish than an accelerated cycle. You are planning on some very high maintenance and delicate fish that have specific husbandry requirements. You need to slow down and let your tank mature, and add fish slowly.
I agree, my tank has been running for more than a year, in July will be 2 years. I agree certain tangs require much more space but I’ve also seen multiple tangs 6 or more in a smaller thank than mine. I guess at the end of the day it’s different for everyone, how many healthy and happy fish you have.

Does anyone have any other input or suggestions? I’d like to know.

Sounds like your rock has some die off and causing your ammonia? As far as you tang selection you are inserting some of the meanest. Purples, Powder Blue, Gem are on top of the scale. Luckily you are not adding a Sohal.

Sounds like your rock has some die off and causing your ammonia? As far as you tang selection you are inserting some of the meanest. Purples, Powder Blue, Gem are on top of the scale. Luckily you are not adding a Sohal.
Correct, I ended up not going with the purple, I’ve had one before and it was very chill but that’s also because it was the only tang other than a smaller yellow belly hippo. The gem I’m hoping to hold off on because of the price, man $800 is ALOT. I’ve had a powder blue before too and it was just a different creature it would literally just swim in circles, chasing its own tail. If I put something in front of it, it would bump into it and then start swimming in circles again. I was starting to wonder if it was blind or something but again it was very calm and I had a naso in tank with it.

I just searched a pic of the sohal, man they just look mean lol

I just searched a pic of the sohal, man they just look mean lol
1681997551740.png

@JohnL had ^ that tang years ago.

Back