Tank Crashed help!!!!!!

Gueeto

My tank crashed and I don't know what to do. I went to work on Monday morning and didn't get back till about midnight, and when I got home my roommate hadn't paid the electric bill. Tank's water dropped to 60 degrees. My Atlantic pygmy was dead on the sand bed and my cauliflower coral is drooping like a wilted rose. :( My tank now is up and running and back to the right temperature and what not, but I don't know what to do. I don't know what is dead as far as clean up crew or not. What happens to LR and LS if it reaches that temperature, and is there anything I can do to possibly save that cauliflower coral? Thanks a lot guys. I am really sad and disappointed right now, because my tank was flourishing and doing excellent, and then the whole tank crashes out of my control.

0308061210.jpg

Your rock and sand are fine, but siphon out any dead animals (starfish, crabs, snails, etc..) you see. Your corals may come back with a little time. Most likely what happened when your tank was down is oxygen depletion. The cold helped, so hang in there. You may also need to do a few small water changes if your tank decides to cycle a bit due to anything that dies that you don't get out in time.

I know how you feel, the same thing happened to me, our power went out and the temp dropped into the 60's.

I never did get that tank up and running again. I placed all my rock and critters into another tank that I have.

You will want to keep an eye on your amonia levels, since there may be a lot of dead critters that you can't see and get out of the tank.

Good luck.

Back