tank disaster - center brace snapped and front frame split

The front edge of the plastic frame to the back edge of the plastic frame is 18 1/4". I measure mine every few weeks because I"m paranoid, but as someone else said steel > plastic. It will hold up way longer than the junk grade plastic MarineFail is using now on their tanks.

Big monster tank in my house, whenever i get it, will be custom.

Wait so they told you laying their junk tank isn't strong enough to be laid on its side and that drilling it weakened it? Wow, that is BS. Please link them this thread, please... they are so full of it and are definitely blacklisted in my eyes. Its a long time coming since their quality has been dropping rapidly with every new product release.

What a joke. Terrible customer service on this one.

Wait so they told you laying their junk tank isn't strong enough to be laid on its side and that drilling it weakened it? Wow, that is BS. Please link them this thread, please... they are so full of it and are definitely blacklisted in my eyes. Its a long time coming since their quality has been dropping rapidly with every new product release.

What a joke. Terrible customer service on this one.

Haha, good point.

"<i>Yea, the tank can support the weight and pressure of 120 gallons of water, your rock, and equipment... But don't you dare put it on its side to drill it!"</i>

Jedi and Jay, I really got frustrated for your situations and contacted a Marineland CS Manager (about other things as well) and had a rather good discussion with her. I am interested to see how things progress for you. She seems concerned with the way this has been handled.

I am in the market for a 7ft tank and had considered the marine land 265 an option... I will be taking my business elsewhere. Not even because the brace snapped. Stuff happens I get it, but because they wouldn't work with you about replacing the brace I won't take the chance.

I am in the market for a 7ft tank and had considered the marine land 265 an option... I will be taking my business elsewhere. Not even because the brace snapped. Stuff happens I get it, but because they wouldn't work with you about replacing the brace I won't take the chance.

The bottom line to me is that this shouldn't EVER happen in the first place. It's not like an impeller shaft wearing out, or a pump motor failing etc. This is a hunk of plastic that HOLDS THE TANK TOGETHER. It's like building a 747 with wings that fall off in flight. If they can't get that right...

Like I said, it stinks of outsourced production to a 20 cent an hour factory that uses unskilled, abused labor, and garbage materials made from recycled tires and used bubble gum.

This thread may only have 40 something replies at this point but it also has almost 2000 views. I have a feeling quite a few people are going to shy away from Marineland tanks.

For what it is worth.....

I bought a tank awhile ago as a second setup (90 gal) The previous owner had stored the new tank in his garage and never set it up. In the time it set in his garage, he manage to break the center brace. I called the shop that made my current DT and went down to look at how the cross bracing works. He showed me 3 of his tanks, all over 200 gal that they had cut the center bracing out and replaced the with two 1/4 strips of acrlyic. The acrylic and tank brace (running along the glass) is drilled with two small holes (1/4) and a small stainless bolt/nut lock washer was put in both. In addition, they used gorilla glue epoxy between the acrlic and brace. (sheer strength of 2600 PSI is what is advertised). Instead of one center brace, there is now two. The strips of the acrylic were 1 inch wide.

I did this on my 90, but instead just did the middle (with your tank seperating, you may not be able to do that and may need to do it in third sections. The tank was up and running for 3 years with zero problems. His tanks are still up and running.

The stainless bolt never touches the water and neither does the epoxy.

Everything could be bought from lowes (they stock 1/4 acrylic and can cut it for you, if you didnt want to yourself) for less then $50.

Sucks all of this happened to you. It is even worse with marine lands response.

The bottom line to me is that this shouldn't EVER happen in the first place. It's not like an impeller shaft wearing out, or a pump motor failing etc. This is a hunk of plastic that HOLDS THE TANK TOGETHER. It's like building a 747 with wings that fall off in flight. If they can't get that right...

Like I said, it stinks of outsourced production to a 20 cent an hour factory that uses unskilled, abused labor, and garbage materials made from recycled tires and used bubble gum.

I agree it shouldn't ever happen, just like the wings shouldn't fall off a 747 but every once in a while a plane crashes. As a potential customer I should have never heard about this incident. When stuff goes bad, as a company, they should do everything in their power to protect their reputation by satisfying all parties. The fact they didn't do that tells me they don't value their reputation and makes me assume they are not concerned about the quality of their product. For this reason I will not consider them for my future purposes.

tkeracer619 - replying from a phone, I've been working long days.

Thank you for going the extra step to help. I did originally speak with the same manager who told me the same story. They couldn't give me an RMA because I drilled it, laying on its side could have weakened it, the few tanks out of the thousands they sell is not a known issue. Nothing.

I then send a email with this link to the thread and got immediate response to call with the manager at her direct line. This time I actually got sympathy and an immediate RMA offer for an exchange or refund with a receipt. Still it would take 6-8 weeks for just a replacement rim.

I think I am going to run the tank as is until I get the brace in. Install it then add a steel frame around it. I could probably repair the current one since I'll be adding a steel brace anyway. I just don't trust it brand new either.

Jedi thank you fot the measurement. I guess they are not uniform cause even my two ends measure 18 1/2" measured the same way.

Thanks for all the advice. I can't see setting up a new tank and cycling all over while having my livestock on hold at a LFS.

Glad that worked out at least somewhat. A lot of things break eventually but the true measure of quality is how well a manufacturer handles it and they certainly get an F.

Never owned a Marineland product but the same thing happened to me with my first tank an AGA 55. It was a few years old and same crack and boom and my tank was blown up like a balloon. My center brace snapped and completely separated from the rim. That tank was stuffed with live rock, sand, coral and fish so I was out immediately looking for a tank. Fortunately there were a number of places in the area that actually stocked tanks and I came home with a 90g and stand a few hours later.

I know they are thicker glass but I just can't bring myself to do a rimless tank. I just bought a DSA 200 with heavy glass and full bracing with two center supports.

I then send a email with this link to the thread and got immediate response to call with the manager at her direct line. This time I actually got sympathy and an immediate RMA offer for an exchange or refund with a receipt. Still it would take 6-8 weeks for just a replacement rim.

Wow...amazing how they respond when the world of aquarist can easily see all of this. I hate how that works.

I would take the refund and find a AGA or Deep Blue tank

I would too if there were a 60" x 18" tank with black silicone available. I built this set up 5 months ago around the tank obviously.

Yes, I absolutely got a different response after I sent this forum link.

I would too if there were a 60" x 18" tank with black silicone available. I built this set up 5 months ago around the tank obviously.

Yes, I absolutely got a different response after I sent this forum link.

Found this thread just researching Marineland brace breaking. This post is to maybe get some more views and if Marineland is still monitoring - to let them know people are paying attention.

I think their response was abhorrent. I'm glad they did the right thing in the end.

Im going through this now with my 220 RR. My rim broke that same way, by pulling apart. This caused the other cross brace to break as well. I tried to order a new rim and just bypass the whole warranty thing. I was Just going to pay for it and get it done. Well they will sell it to me but cant seem to ship it. So a LFS had told me about replacing it with acrylic supports with nylon bolts. He also told me that some people cut the old bracing out and replace it with acrylic to rid the shadow casted by the plastic brace. So I think this will be my fixing method.

Glad I saw this post!

I have been debating between the Marineland/Perfecto 120 and the Aqueon/All-glass 150.

I much prefer the 60" length of the 120 - but don't want the headache of cheap Marlineland/Perfecto products.

Looks like it's the 72" Aqueon/All-glass 150 for me...

Is there any way of being proactive regarding these tanks...?

Any suggestions as to how to reinforce the frame prior to installing it on your stand/canopy that doesn't really show...?

:confused:

Back