Tank of the Month - December 2007

Just plain outstanding! You've proven you can feed your fish in a more natural way without sacrificing water quality. And the choice of fish are a little daring as well. The frequent feeding no doubt reduces temptation to sample the coral. Wow, I will never be able to achieve a tank like this and am in complete awe.

Great tank!
And thanks for providing a convenient list of reefsafe (I hope!)
Angelfish:

Goldflake angel â€"œ 4” Large number of gold-colored flakes throughout with a yellowish body and an extremely good appetite
Chrysurus angel â€"œ 6” Stately in appearance, it is also the largest and most aggressive fish in the tank
Scribbled angel â€"œ 3” â€"œ Female with vibrant colors; a good aquarium fish
Personifer angel â€"œ 4.5” Sleek black body with a charcoal-blue face and a peaceful personality
A pair of Regal angels â€"œ 2” and 2.5” Usually seen swimming together; very remarkable in color; shows no aggressive behavior toward one another
Mated pair of Flame angels â€"œ both 2.25” Striking red with clean black stripes; have managed to keep their original colors; swim together as a pair
Flameback angel â€"œ 2.25” Very timid in nature; loves hiding behind the rocks
Majestic angel â€"œ 4” Often seen swimming in the open, unlike most of its kind
Potter’s angel â€"œ 2.25” Interestingly patterned; aggressive towards smaller fish (flameback)

Skipper - I could not be more thankful for your time and effort in publishing my article. A million thanks!

Dxmarinefish - Thanks for all your compliments! Since I am using the Nikon DL camera, which doesn't come with a video component (function). I will try to get a new POS camera and post some videos of my tank later on.

wcpeixoto - Thanks so much. I made a mistake in writing the PO4 level, it should have been >0.03 instead of 0.3.

Marko9 - Thanks, it is my pleasure to share my tank with other hobbyist.

pvtschultz - Thank you!

invincible569 - Thanks for your support! I am expecting to see more pictures from your beautiful tank.

fishdoc11 - Hope you enjoyed it! Many thanks!

Racenrich - Thanks! The plumbing is basically very simple. I just used the same return pump with two penductors from my previous 90g tank. If you take a look at the full tank shots, on the top right hand corner you will notice two penductors, which is the water return outlet from the pump. The water going back to the sump via two 1 inchs PVC pipe, which is located under the internal overflow box of the tank. I use a separate mag drive 9 pump for the prop tank.

gnatp2 - Thanks so much. I reviewed the article many times, but I overlooked the PO4 level. I apologize for my mistake, it should have been >0.03 instead of 0.3.

Oldude - Thank you for all your kind words.

Baros - I can't believe how much support I am getting. Thank you!

mille239 - Thank you!

reefing102 - Hope you enjoyed it! Thanks!

i2ik - Thank you for your compliments. I am glad that you liked it.

otiso777 - Thanks!

Craig Lambert - Thanks! The tank is not as heavy as I thought it would be. Four people will be able to carry it. The wide of the tank is 32 inch which perfectly fits through my doorway.

frogiii - Thanks so much!

snorvich - Thanks a lot. All my angels are very well behaved since I keep them very well fed. There are just few pieces of LPS in the tank. My tank has no room for more LPS. Also, I don't want them to sit at the bottom restricting the flow. There are certain types of LPS that I wouldn't want to try placing in my tank, such as acans, simply because I wouldn't trust my angels with them.

Timinator - Thanks so much.

melev - I really appreciate your support. I am glad that you like this little idea. I will try to post more pictures of fish and corals in a single shot.

JPMagyar - It takes me roughly 3 hours weekly for water change and maintenance. Apart from that, it usually takes me about 15- 30 mins for daily maintenance. The most time consuming part is placing new coral in the tank. It takes few hours to make rearrangement. I believe there is still lots of room for my corals to grow. I am always thinking of setting up a bigger tank in the future.

jeweldamsel - Thanks a lot! I clean the inside wall of the front acrylic every two or three days. The internal magnet is cleansed throughly prior usage, when the magnet is not in use, I try not to leave it in the tank. Before the front acrylic wall is cleaned, I siphoned out all the detritus left on the front bottom part of the tank.

acrouse - Many thanks!

KEEPERZ - Thanks so much!

killagoby - Thanks a lot!

fisheebill - Thanks!

THP - Thanks a lot! My 320g tank has been running for close to 1 year and 9 months now. But most of the corals has been with me with over 3 years. They were transferred from my previous 90g tank.

saltycreefer- Thanks!

AcroSteve - Thanks!

cward - Thanks so much!

33g - Thanks!

Elliott - Thanks! I am glad that you enjoyed it.

zacharytrimble - Thanks so much and I am happy that you and your wife liked it!

crazzy - Thanks! I set my autofeeder to feed my fish 4 times a day. I feed one to two times in the morning before work and after work.

J.P.Silva - Thanks a lot.

MG21 - Thanks!

jeri - Thanks a lot. I have learnt almost everything from the forum. There are many good threads providing lots of information on how to setup a bare bottom system.

underWoasisjake - The autofeeder is set to feed it 4 times day and I also feed them before and after work. I have a good skimmer for aggressive nutrient export. Also, the regular maintenance and husbandry are crucial for my setup to keep the water parameter in check.

Baboo - Thanks!

Antiguan - Thanks!

saltbox125 - Thanks! I always make sure all my fish are well fed and are little bit overweight. I do not feed a large amount of food in a single feeding. Instead, I feed enough quantity of food for the fish to consume within a minute so no food is wasted and left in the tank.

recife111 - Thanks a lot. I am very happy with my tank now.

FunkieReefJunkie - Thanks so much. I am glad that you liked it.

ishmael - Thanks a lot. I am glad that you liked my fish. All my angels are carefully selected to suit my tank to ensure long time survival rate. As for "reefsafe", one has to be careful in selecting the right fish for a reef tank.

Last edited:
I am new to this hobby (> 6 months), and I cannot believe what I just saw from fashfish's tank! Absolutely stunning.

The more stunning part is the amount of dedication that he has put towards it in picking the "perfect" fishes and corals. Best tank I've seen - for sure.

Congratulations on a stunningly beautiful tank! Your feeding regimen is very frequent, but so simple! With the tangs I thought you would have to feed nori, and I'm surprised the only frozen food you feed is cyclop-eeze, and only on a weekly basis. Do you have lots of pods and such from your refugium? Makes all the effort put into coral and fish food seem silly when you can achieve the results you have with just pellets.

fantastic...i noticed how your dominant color seems to be blue, inspires me to add more blue in my tank. congratulations on your win, very well deserved. now all you need are Tridacnid clams and you're set!

Is looks like you have all your probes for the AC3 in some pvc piping contraptions. Can you explain how you have this set up and why?

Thanks,
Nate

Dear Mr. Kai Leung !

what a beautiful color of yr SPS corals I am very impressed !
need to know if you feed your corals if affirmative I would to know with what kind of food !
congratulations !!

Regards
Fernando Chang
Panama

tankguy001 - Thanks a lot!

cy88 - Thanks so much!

Rekonn - Thanks a lot! There are lots of pods in the display tank, internal overflow box and my frag tank.

Osmotic Shock - Thanks!

ezcompany - Thanks so much! I like to collect blue sps and there are lots of blue color sps stationed at the right side of my tank. I really doubt if my angels would leave clams alone.

jwccwj - Thanks!

Elliott - Thanks. The reason why I replace it every year is because the inside of the PVC pipes will get dirty as time goes by. I designed the plumbing as simply as possible. It usually takes a few hours to replace all of them with new ones.

gnatp2 - Thanks. There are three In-Line probe holders inserted into the return PVC pipes. As the water flow continuously across the electrodes, the measurement taken seems to be more accurate. Also, it is very easy for me to do the maintenance and calibration when needed.

madtek580 - Thanks!

Gooli - Thanks. I positioned the corals at least 6 inches apart from each other at the initial stage. Although the tank may seem full in the pictures, the corals actually have lots of room to expand both vertically and horizontally as described in the article.

Fernando Chang - Thanks for your support. I do not feed my corals directly. Apart from the appropriate lighting they can get, I believe they receive enough food from the fish waste.

raddogz - Thanks so much!

Back