Tank of the Month - December 2007

Incredible setup, philosophy and dedication. Bravo.
Maybe the best setup overall that I have ever seen.
Your philosophy may also be the most sound I have ever heard.
I really feel you have designed this tank to run indefinitely.

Congrat! Awsome tank and Corals.
I have a question how do you keep your corals so nice? They are not touching eachother and bleach out? Do you have to trims it all the time? it's look unbelivable in the Pics!

Fastfish, do you have any fullshot picture or diagram of how your light arrangment is distributed, I kinda have the same measurements.

Very impressive tank. Your dedication to the hobby really shows.

I am equally impressed by your personal response to each and every poster in this thread. Way to go!!!

Congrats!!
Dennis

Fastfish I'm curious about the two t5 actinics running. Once all three of those 10k 400 watt MH turn on can you visually see any blue bleed through? I'm trying to get more actinic in my lighting and am attempting to figure out which way to go about it.

Hi fatfish,

Could you share you experience with the Goldflake angelfish? Is it a hardy fish? What do you feed it? How long do you have it? etc. Thanks.

lito arangcon - Thanks! I think patience is the key when finding a fish suitable for a reef tank. Since I believe once a fish is placed in my tank, it will be here for a long term, I set a very strict critiria for a fish selection, and I always take the time to find the right fish. I highly recommend quarantining all the fish prior to placement in a tank. Most of my fish were quarantined in my prop tank for at least 4 weeks before they were allowed in my display tank. So far, I have not encountered any big problems with ich in my tank.

manosdr - Thanks a lot!

ckrumbhaar - Thanks you very much! I purchased my first Digital SLR camera (Nikon D80) in July and started to learn as much as I could from the Photography forum. From the initial setup to the present stage, I am only using the XM bulbs for my metal halide setup. Less than 5 pictures were adjusted for the brightness, all the other pictures were taken straight out of my camera after I learned how to adjust the camera to the appropriate settings. Since I am still an amatuer in photography, there are still lots for me to learn.

HotPinkStylo.jpg

I Found Nemo - Thanks so much.

dlondono - Thank you!

skylermiller21 - Thanks! I conducted my research through the Reefcentral forum. I believe if you spend time reading up the information provided on the Reefcentral forum, which is actually one of the best places with lots of valuable information and insights that can help you set up your tank.

paveking1 - Thank you for your kind words!

Frick-n-Frags - Thanks so much! I wanted to set up a tank that could keep me busy for at least a few years, and upgrade to a bigger tank in the foreseeable future.

dbui - Thank you! I spent a lot of time searching the local fish stores for corals, finding corals with potential colors and structures. Good maintenance and husbandry is very important in keeping a healthy reef tank. I left a decent a amount of space between each coral when placing it in my system, also I tried to find the appropriate amount of light each individual corals need to keep in from bleaching out or coloring brown. I tried not to trim my corals, because I want them to grow naturally in form, so I only trim when it is necessary.

plancton - Thanks! My light fixture placement is kept very simple as shown in my Tank of the Month article. Three Lumenarc III reflectors are placed side by side parallel to each other, with two T5 supplements in the front. If you need the exact measurement or anything else, please let me know.

NaH2Ofreak - Thank you so much for your kind words!

FunkieReefJunkie - Thanks! My T5 lighting are not actinic, they are actually T5 HO blue plus. I mainly use it for the dawn and dusk effect, I have not noticed any blue bleed from the T5.

bromion - Thanks for your compliment!

jeweldamsel - Thanks! The goldflake angel was acquired around last May. It requires the same level of care as the other angels of its kind, but it is relatively easy to keep and eats just about everything. From my experience, I tried not to overfeed it at the initial quarantine period, until the first fish poop was observed, then I gradually fed more.

steve68 - Thank you so much!

Last edited:
This is truly stunning. I will strip my unsuccessful 72"x30"x30" tank during the next month and I am now convinced to go with a bare bottom tank. Can I ask if you have any rock sitting on the glass? I guess you now have more rock than you show on the 3 docking stations??
Have you covered the bottom of your tank or is it coraline algae we can see?

Last edited:
I get it, do the fact that you only have 2 t5s on the front give you enough dawn/fluorescent effect?, are these t5s pointing inward or they are a bit in diagonal pointing to the back?

BRAVO!!!

BRAVO!!!

WHAT a BEAUTIFUL tank!!
I just couldnt stop staring at all the awesome pictures!! I am in awe at the color variations of your sps's and the pretty fish. Congratulations on winning Tank of the month!! your tank definitely deserved it.

Back