Tank of the Month - July 2004

Skipper

Premium Member
This month we are featuring Peter Zomick's (reefcrazed) awesome reef tank:

More details can be found here or by clicking on the picture above.

Congratulations, Peter!

Great job! I love the idea of having the option of having your QT in-line.
I've got a couple questions:
1. What do you have in your refugium?
2. Why don't you know the temperature of your tank?
3. Any pics of your plumbing?
Once again, great job and congratulations.

Well.... I can't find it anywhere. I know he sent me an email telling me, but it's apparently lost.

Let's just say he keeps it at normal reef temperatures. :D

The temp in summer is kept between 80-82, in winter it is 78-80. I have a Copperband that keeps most of the Aptaisa out of the main tank, but one of my overflows is riddled with aptaisa and they trap food and detritus when it goes over the overflow. In the refugium I have a few different kinds of caulerpa, misc critters that I do not want in my main tank such as rock crabs, some weird hermits, a Blue Lobster (pretty cool) a Purple Lobster, Mysis shrimp, amphipods and copepods, live rock, a brittle star, and a few urchins that I do not think are reef safe. I also have a powerhead in their as well. I will post a few more pics of the equipment if I can find them in a little bit. Thanks for all of the kind words!

Fantastic job there Peter, I cannot even imagine what it must be like to just sit back and gaze.

Another wonderful example of the resources available on this site, glad to be a part of it.

John

that's a big nice mix reef tank... great job....
care to show more of your equipment setup.. e.g. skimmer and what in your sump.???

plus your feeding habbit... thanx

WOW, sweet set-up!!!

The prop tank is is cherry as well.

Just one Q, how deep is the sand bed in the main display? Looks like about 2" but I can't tell if the stand has a border hiding the rest.

Your fish look very healthy and vibrant as well!

I will post pics of mopre equipment tomorrow as most of my pics are at work. I feed a big variety of foods. All frozen with the exception of sushi nori which I feed about 4-5 times a week. I also feed about 4-9 cubes every other day for about 4-5 times a week as well. Fish get mysis, brine, emerald entree, formula one and two, spirulina formula, marine cuisine, squid, special formula VHP, etc... All food is soaked in Selcon prior to feeding. Once in a long while I feed Cyclopeze at around midnight (maybe once or twice a month). The sand bed fluctuates due to the currents between 1/2" up to 5 1/2 inches or a bit more in some parts.

awesome tank. Did you add your sohol tang last? I can see you have a variety of tangs, is your sohol the king? Im looking forward to adding a sohol to my 500 and debating whether it should be the last tang added or not.

Simply amazing tank, that's all I can say. The fish and clams are beautiful to say the least. Your frag tank is over 3 times bigger than my display tank :D. I love the picture of you looking into the tank when it's sitting outside your house. I bet you were thinking "Who needs the ocean? I can go snorkeling in this thing when it's set up!". :lol:

Back