Tank of the Month - July 2004

Peter wonderful setup. A labor of love is very evident here. I can't imagine the time spent getting it to this point. You wife is a great gal! Your a lucky guy!

Do you have any pics of the fairy wrasse you list? My favorite reef fish.
Also how do you have the QT tank plumbed. Great idea to keep it on-line until you need it.

That is great, I love your jump from a 10 gallon to a 180 gallon, I myself went from a 29 gallon to a 55 gallon. We shall see on the next jump, but your tank is just great.

Congrats Peter,

This is truely an awesome tank to see in person. Can't wait to have an excuse to be up in your area again to perhaps see the tank again. This is one of my favorite picture I took of the tank, you can kinda get a feel for the enormity of it.
22307IM001170a.jpg

Beautiful setup! How is the sohal and the powder blue as far as aggression? I am starting a 210, but I am afraid that would be too small for the both of them?
More pictures would be great! Love the setup!

gm

The Sohol is about 4 1/2 years old. I originally added him to my 180 when he was much smaller along with the Regal tang. The last fish I added was the Powder Blue. Everyone gets along fine except the Yellow Tang and the Purple tang. They got along fine for alomost a year. Then all of a sudden the Purple got very aggressive towards the yellow. Now the yellow always hangs out in the rock work swimming through all the crevices and pass throughs in the back and under the reef structure. He only comes out when I feed the tank. It stinks because I would rather have the yellow out swimming around. I may try and catch the purple soon and put him in my frag grow out tank. That tank now houses an Orange Shoulder tang. The Sohol is by far the KING of the tank and everyone knows it. There is definitely a structural hierchy in the tank and most of the fish know there place in that hierchy. Once in a while like teenagers a small spat will break out for maybe 15 seconds or so, but then all is back to normal. I need to take some more pics of the filter room and equpment because the pic hosting service no longer has my albums for some reason. I will try and take some more photo's today and post them tonight.

Sweet tank, I wish I could have made it up there to see it.

Ok Quote of the Year: (Just fill in the X's with your size tank)
"Fortunately, I earn a decent living and can afford the XXX gallon system you see here today"

I can't afford the 55 gallon I have, but I manage to squeak by and still make room for a coral here and there.

awesome peter... another congrats!

pictures just dont do this tank justice

and like someone said... the owner is just as cool as the tank

(thanks for letting us stop by again and for the advice/suggestions on my new setup)

Peter, in your filtration and equipement section you mention changing from Instant Ocean to Bioassay Crystal Seas Sea Salt as a result of an article by Dr. Ron. I haven't found this article. Do you have a link to it? Or a reference as to where i can find it?

We would also like to know the differences you have noticed now using the Crystal Seas Sea Salt in your tank rather than using the Instant Ocean brand.

i was lucky enough to snap a few pics when i visited peter's tank....

peter, hope its ok i post these
DSCN0295.jpg

DSCN0309.jpg

DSCN0325.jpg

more can be found here

Back