Tank of the Month - June 2007

Randall_James-
It is certainly nice that Erin and I are both into The tank. I wouldn't have even considered a system like this if it wasn't for her. I don't have exact numbers on current draw but I know it adds about $80 a month to the bill in the winter and about $140 or so in the summer.

wakeboarder2342-
I try not to think about how much we have invested in this hobby so I can't give you a very good figure on that. I stopped keeping track once the water was in the tank. As for monthly expenses, I guess about $220-$280 a month on average including food, water, electric, salt, test kits, RO consumables, new bulbs every 10 months, additives, etc, etc. Not including livestock of course :)

JustReefIt-
Hey Brian. I didn't know you moved to MO. I knew you were moving but I just thought somewhere local. Still have a reef tank? You are correct- the Orange crush, dottyback, ornate wrasse, and some of the SPS were from you. They are doing great and thanks again for providing us with some of our favorite inhabitants. Still have the flashlight as well- the main colony took a hit but we do have it and a few frags of it in other peoples tanks. You are always welcome to stop by and see it if you asre ever back this way.

Congratulations, well deserved and great info on your build out.
Thanx for sharing & all the best to you and yours!

Cool, I'll have to stop by around the holidays when I'm back in phoenix.

No reef tank right now, too busy getting the business going, and only going to be in this house for about a year, don't want to move a tank.

Congrats again, this really is a masterpiece.

Wow thats a nice tank! Love that background. Did you just spay the foam directly to the tank? If so, how well does it stick?

Very nice woodwork surrounds your awesome reef tank! I love the "garage style" opening mechanism on your canopy! That is just way cool! I can't say enough about how truly nice the woodwork is. A fine piece of furniture indeed.

Tis really nice that you gave your monthly expenses on this mighty fine marine tank and it's beautiful inhabitants.

Who needs a TV when you have something like this to bathe the eyes with?

JustReefIt-
You know you are welcome anytime!

Deuce67-
Yes, the foam is sprayed directly on the acrylic and it sticks very well. I've heard conflicting info about it sticking to glass but it sticks just fine to acrylic. Check out my website and look in the FAQ section for some more info on the foam.

SLODEN53-
Thanks for the compliments. The wood looks a lot better in person- the lighting for taking pictures is just horible and took forever just to get a half way decent shot of it. That's one of the great things about the tank being where it's at- we see it from the dining room, the back patio, the kitchen and from the living room where the TV is located. So we get to look at the tank from almost everywhere and can watch the tank and TV at the same time :D

I heard about your selection at the FRAG/PROP meeting, but I only got to see the posting tonight. Awesome! I remember seeing the postings about the metal frame when you had it made. I love the idea of being able to pipe everything to the garage.

You're my new heros.

Do you know if this thread gets archived somehow? When I make the big move from my converted 100 gallon freshwater tank (thus, no sump--just a ton of live rock) to a beautiful dream tank like yours, I'd love to use your thread and pics as a resource (especially those drawings and your foam).

Congratulations!

Ray

RayinAZ-
Thanks Ray! I think the TOTM threads get archived just like the rest so you should be able to look them up later. My build thread has tons of pics and information and that should be around for a while.

jwilso-
The foam I used was called "handi foam". Look on our website in the FAQ section and there is more info about the foam.

Amazing tank, well deserved TOTM. You have a "gorgeous" selection of fish. One question that quickly comes to mind as I was looking over your inverts. I noticed the absence of hermits ..... is there a reason for this? I keep lots of these as part of my clean-up crew; in fact, I rarely see a body when a fish dies, it just disappears. Hmmmm, am I overlooking something??
Congrats!
Irene

Wow, your tank is incredible because I like how your tank goes very well with the hickory cabinets and keeping your system cool. I have a hard time keeping my little tank cool because of my hot room. Good Job and keep it up.

How does your device brain control your chiller? That ?I do not get?
How do you make your own reef food? Isn't human fresh seafood are bad for reef because of the chemicals and preservatives?

Back