Tank of the Month - Mar 2002

Awesome tank! My mouth is watering..................That blue carpet is an awesome centerpiece!

I can't imagine how much time, effort, and money you've put into that masterpiece of reefing:thumbsup:

Steve,
I can only imagine how beautiful your aquarium must be when seen in person. Congratulations for a well-deserved honor.
JB

Looks like the epitome of this hobby to date. Wallow in the praise because you deserve it all. Best of luck in the future.

This is the most amazing tank I have ever seen. Given how much money I have spent on my feeble attempt at a reef tank, I cannot imaging what this one has cost! But I know it will be worth it.

Steve: Truly an "AWESOME REEF TANK" , to say the very least!! I think that my chin hit my desk when I first glanced at this amazing slice of reef!! :thumbsup: This has to be one of the best looking and thought out systems that I have ever seen! You certainly deserve all of the compliments and more.

I have a similar setup but NOT to that scale. I built in a 155 Gal Bowfront reef tank when we put an addition onto our house two years ago. Therefore, I for one can truly appreciate what you have put together!! :spin3:

I do have a question: How long have you been keeping the Gonipora and how has it held up? Also, have you ever tried an Elegance Coral? I know that these two species do not do well in closed systems and are better left on the reef!

Anyway, keep up the excellent work and best of luck with the tank!

Steve L :D

First of all, to reefdiver and everyone else here on RC, thank you for the kind words. I have 3 goniporas and 1 alveapora in the display. The purple gonipora in the lower left side of the tank has been with me since mid summer (maybe June of 2001). When I first got it, it had a quarter size shipping damage spot on it; that has since long healed over. The coral (which seems more of an encrusting type) has now grown over the rock that it came on and has started to spread over the live rock. The most impressive growth has come from my alvepora, which has more than tripled in size.I had to move it to its current location on the left side to give it more room. It's not the most colorful ( a semi-bright green), but it has a great shape. It continues to grow outward in big knob-like growths. The system is now 1 year old and I'm aware that these corals have the reputation of doing well for a year or two and then failing;so, I can only keep my fingers crossed. Thanks to all...Steve

Steve's Tank

Steve's Tank

:thumbsup: Steve, if someone was to ask me how I would like either one of my tanks to end up looking like - your tank would be my words. I cannot tell you how envious I am of what you have accomplished. I have a 300 gal (2 years) and a new 40 gal acrylic tanks and I have never been more frustrated in my life. How, How did you learn to do this? I know it didn't happen over night. I can appreciate the work and time spent for this worth while end results. But how did you know how to do this. I read, research and even had some "suppose to be an expert" come to my house to look at my tank - and still feel worse than ever. I refuse to give up. Our tank like yours, is in our wall like a picture (a picture you would want to throw out) with the rest on a platform since our garage is lower than our rec. room. So tell, me how did you learn to create this? I would love to pick your brains. Thank you for sharing.

jobmw, I had a 125 gal "reef" tank back in 1985. Before I set this tank up , I tried to remember all the problems that I had back then and correct them. If you have a more specific problem, maybe I could help.
Steve

Hey MR. Weast, I just wanted to say WOW what a AWESOME REEF TANK, I myslef am setting up a (minny me) tank 265 gallons
my third tank, 90 - 180 my first two.
but I was curious on the POWER HEAD TOWER if you could give me a little more detail on that I would love to try and incorparate one into my new tank.

THANKS ......Boots

Boots, each tower is made from 1/2 pvc and is sized to hold 3 Tunze3000 powerheads. Each powerhead sits on (2) 4 inch square pieces of eggcrate. The two pieces are used to create a screen for the powerhead intake. This design works well for the Tunze powerheads since their intake is on the bottom of the powerhead. Other types of powerheads would require a design change. The wires come out of the tank and terminate in a waterproof junction box( located on top of the tank) in which they are hard wired.Each tower is hidden behind the rockwork, but not buried under the rockwork. I just have to remove a few small rocks when I want to lift the entire powerhead tower from the tank for servicing (which I did this last weekend ). Each powerhead has a short outflow extention that comes out through the rockwork ( or under/behind the rockwork ). It's a pretty simple arrangement that keeps the powerheads accessible yet still hidden.

okay, but how do you clean the front?

okay, but how do you clean the front?

Your tank is amazing! The entire setup is incredibly well-designed.
My only question (for now) is how do you clean the front?

Oh! cool.... but what i meant was how do you get to it? its 8 feet off the ground right? and covered by lighting equipment.

Dgosho,If you look at a photo of the rear setup, you'll notice that the entire light hood is on a rail system. The light hood can be pushed from one side to the other with ease. You'll also see that there is a platform on the right side of the tank that is 4 foot square that I can get up to with an eight foot ladder. When I'm up there, it's no different than if the tank were on the floor (ie. really easy to bend over the tank and access everything). The other side of the tank also has a platform, but not as wide ( maybe a foot );but, it's plenty wide enough for access (especially with my ladder next to it ). It's the rail system that really makes the system work.Being able to push aside the entire hood, a foot or the entire 6 feet, makes this more accessible than just about any tank I've seen. Steve

Mr. Weast, sorry to bother you again but I was wondering do you have some type of diagrame or picture that you could show me of the power head tower's that you've built?

THANKS.......Boots

steve,
a very impressive tank indeed. well done.
a couple of quick questions if i may.
how have you arranged your lighting in the hood, and how high off the surface?
what is your photoperiod?
which type of 10000k lamp are you presently using?

thanks
marc

Quote:

"I believe the current mix will one day turn into a remarkable, natural looking display."

Hahaha! Dont wory Steve...one day that aquarium will be remarkable and beautiful! :D

Massman; The hood width is four feet;so, there's lots of room for bulbs and fans. The metal halides are arranged in two rows running the length of the tank, with each row running about 8 inches off the center line.The VHO's are then running two bulbs (side by side) in the slots not occupied by the halides, two bulbs in the front, two bulbs in the middle, and two bulbs in the rear. The first of the VHO's come on @ 7:30AM and go off @ 8:30PM. The first of the halides goes on @ 8:30AM (with all 8 being on by 10:00AM) and go off by 6:00PM. The hood is about 6-8 inches from the water surface. The halides are 10K German 400W from Hamilton.

Steve

Back