Tell Congress NO! Do Not Pass!

bagged87blayzer

There is a bill up for vote that will kill our hobby.
This is straight from www.congress.org website
it is bill H.R. 669

Here is the link to it
http://www.congress.org/congressorg/issues/bills/?billtype=H.R.&billnumb=669&congress=111

'To prevent the introduction and establishment of nonnative wildlife species that negatively impact the economy, environment, or other animal species'' or human health, and for other purposes. '
Bill # H.R.669

Original Sponsor:
Madeleine Bordallo (D-GU At-Large)

Cosponsor Total: 22
(last sponsor added 04/01/2009)
21 Democrats
1 Independents

About This Legislation:

1/26/2009--Introduced.
Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act - Requires the Secretary of the Interior to promulgate regulations establishing a process for assessing the risk of all nonnative wildlife species proposed for importation into the United States, other than those included in a list of approved species issued under this Act. Sets forth factors that must be considered, including the identity of the organism to the species level, the native range of the species, whether the species has caused harm to the economy, the environment, or other animal species or human health in similar ecosystems, and the likelihood of establishment or spread of the species in the United States.
Provides procedures for issuance and expansion of a list of nonnative wildlife species approved for importation and a list of nonnative wildlife species that are prohibited.
Establishes prohibitions on: (1) importation or transportation between states of nonnative species that are not included in the list of approved species; (2) permit violations; and (3) possession, purchase, sale, barter, release, or breeding of such species.
Exempts from such prohibitions actions by law enforcement personnel to enforce this Act or by federal or state officials to prevent the introduction or establishment of nonnative wildlife species. Declares that nothing in this Act restricts the importation or transportation between states of such species by a federal agency for its own use if the species remains in its possession. Authorizes the Secretary to issue permits authorizing otherwise prohibited importation for scientific research, for medical, accredited zoological or aquarium display purposes, or for educational purposes that are specifically reviewed, approved, and verified by the Secretary if the Secretary finds that there has been a proper showing by the permittee of responsibility for the specimen and continued protection of the public interest and health.
Allows the imposition of fees on persons who submit a proposal to include a species in either of the lists to recover the costs of assessing risks of nonnative wildlife species. Establishes a Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Fund into which such fees and fines for violations will be deposited.
Redesignates the Invasive Species Council established by Executive Order 13112 as the National Invasive Species Council.

Send your Congress person an e-mail through the website. I just did. This will put all the LFS and other independent pet stores out of business. No more fish, reptiles, ferret. What fun will life be then?

If you follow http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-669 this is only in committee and chances are, like the majority of bills, will not make it to vote in the house or senate.

The website I linked also has a nice list with further information about the committee members you may contact to request this get shot down. Be confident, in its current form it very likely will :)

I think the intention of the bill is good, it just needs to be very specific to not exclude the commercial pet industry.

I hope it does not get to the house or senate. I see a lot of people have made good points about where are all the animals going to go. I will definitely be watching this.

Because of the political nature of this issue, I have to close this thread. Because of the importance of this issue to our hobby, I'm going to sticky it, so everyone gets a chance to see it.

Back