Temperate Deep-water setup

Siluriforme

I have been keeping both freshwater and marine inverts/fish for a number of years now, but the animals that have intrigued and captivated me the most are undoubtedly the ones that inhabit the deep sea.

I started planning for such a tank about a year ago and this is where I'm at currently after getting the tank built/set up and sourcing for livestock. (Both buying and collecting)

Tank : 3 X 1.5 X 1.5 Dual pane glass & 32" sump with Central overflow ( 14°C)
Pump : Jebao 9000
Chiller : Hailea HS-66A 1/4 HP
Skimmer : Bubble Magus C3.5
Lights : Current USA LED+

lOv4Jkg.jpg
xUbUdSk.jpg
5eWDeAu.jpg

That is really cool. What are their dietary needs? Most deep water things that crawl on the floor of the ocean are scavengers eating whatever lands there-mostly fish right? I'd expect care to be fairly easy...

edit: yep, looked into the giant isopod you can leave them for months without food if you needed to, they are adapted for it.

Is this your only display tank? Really awesome, but certainly not something I would want to keep in my living room. Just your photos are totally creeping my wife out.

This is my one & only display tank. No problems with pressure, despite some of these isopods being pulled up from about 500m depth.

Metanephrops sp.
nqX96kIl.jpg

VxWYouel.jpg

Japanese spear lobster - Linuparus trigonus
GQIwS82l.jpg

Dardanus arrosor
73z8h8fl.jpg

Japanese box crab - Calappa japonica
atlTeMGl.jpg

tZ5Ol2Tl.jpg

The varying styles of marine aquariums is what draws me to the hobby. Good job on creating something unique. Hopefully it's not an extension of your personality. Creepy. :)

Wow! Really unique and inspiring tank set-up. One question though... where the hell did you get a giant isopod :eek1:??!! If I could source some of these kinds of animals I would definitely consider setting up a tank such as this. Just awesome, good job :beer:

Your tank is so strange! I love it! haha

That anthias is pretty awesome, also the Japanese box crab. :)

The isopods may occasionally be available through some Japanese suppliers. In some places they can be picked up as bycatch from trawlers, although these tend to be in poor condition.

Back