The angel thread to end all angel threads: all owners of angelfish in reefs respond!!

I have had Regal Angels, Flame Angels, Joculator Angel, Blueface Angel, and many others. The flames have been hit or miss. It seems to depend on how much live rock surface is available to nip on instead of corals, the regale have always been model reef tank citizens for me, the Blueface knawed on everything in spite of heavy feedings, and the Joculator was pretty well behaved though I lacked some PE over the long term (never caught him nipping just a suspect). Anytime you add one of these beautiful creatures to your reef you are taking a calculated risk. I've always thought the risk was worth it.
I am now rolling the dice on a goregeous 2.5" flame angel, and I hope we have a winner �� time will tell as I've only had it since Monday!

Flame angle meticulously consumed all of the polyps on my Miami orchid Acropora and most of them on a montipora stellata before he could be removed. Watched him in the act several times. Both took months to recover and show any polyp extension again. Some people have great results with angels in reefs but one bad experience was enough to spoil the entire family for me

wow. Asfur.... I'd love to add one... annularis here 2 mo. no issue yet. captive raised on prepared foods likely to make a big difference

So, a few questions about my tank stocking list.

Main tank: 360g (72x42x27)
Frag tank: 80g (48x24x16)

I have the following fish:

4 yellow tangs
1 blue tang
3 clowns
3 PJ cardinals
1 blue green chromis
1 coral beauty (in frag tank)
1 pygmy angel
1 flame hawk (in frag tank)
1 melanarus wrasse

I'd like to get a few more wrasse in the main tank and a few angels. Can anyone suggest an large angel? Emperor? Queen?

I have mostly SPS in the tank, but I do have some acans that I can move to the frag tank. Will hammer/frogspawn be ok with the large angels? Chalices / zoas?

I also have a large anemone island with 5-6 RBTAs.

Chris

I have a goldflake angel that only ate aiptasia so far. I have SPS, LPS, clams, ricordea and gorgonians in the tank, no zoanthids, so can't vouch for them being safe.

I have a coral beauty never touches a thing. does not eat any food I put in spirulina, Mysis, brine, or live brine. I keep my tank loaded with amphipods and copepods, that's what he eats. he goes crazy when I add new ones. Beautiful fish. I'm debating about adding a potters angelfish.

- Emperor Angel - Reef Safe
- Flame Angel - Reef Safe
- Bicolour Angel - Reef Safe
- Majestic Angel - Reef Safe
- Townsend Angel (Queen Angel hybrid) - Not Reef Safe, but he only are my extremely large Leather Umbrella right down to the rock, and it was home to my mated Ocellaris Clowns

Coral Beauty. Had him for around 2 months, so far hasn't eaten or nipped any corals. The only thing he did was pick dead flesh from a Hammer that had been stung by a Torch. As far as healthy corals go he has been a model citizen. I feed once a day, either mysis, flake, brine shrimp or krill.

Coral beauty. Eats birds nests but has left softies, lps, and a montipora spongodes alone.

you may have answered something. I'm baffled why my bird's nest is bleaching after doing well. It may be the coral beauty has taken an interest in it. I haven't seen any overt nipping but I thought I glanced at it taking a nip at it yesterday. So that is a likely but not an absolute yes on the bird's nest.

He did nip at my trumpet coral when I first added the angel to the tank and it bleached. The rest of my corals are doing fine and it doesn't appear to have any interest.

you may have answered something. I'm baffled why my bird's nest is bleaching after doing well. It may be the coral beauty has taken an interest in it. I haven't seen any overt nipping but I thought I glanced at it taking a nip at it yesterday. So that is a likely but not an absolute yes on the bird's nest.

He did nip at my trumpet coral when I first added the angel to the tank and it bleached. The rest of my corals are doing fine and it doesn't appear to have any interest.

Keep in mind, it's also possible the angel is nipping because the coral is unhealthy, and not the other way around.

Back