The angel thread to end all angel threads: all owners of angelfish in reefs respond!!

I've been lucky. Had a French (probably the last angel you would put in a reef), a Goldflake, and Potters in the tank below and they never touched anything.

I have a Goldflake and Majestic in my current SPS tank and they do not touch anything.

I did one have a African Flameback that seemed to pick at everything.
Ken

Something to think about, is it possible that some angles are picking at these corals because owners are not feeding tank enough? You figure that variable is so hard to determine. For instance, most reefers would probably agree that reefers who keep sps will feed fish alot less frequent where as most reefers who keep softies or lps may feed more. This may cause the behavior of fish to start picking at corals. Thoughts?

Something to think about, is it possible that some angles are picking at these corals because owners are not feeding tank enough? You figure that variable is so hard to determine. For instance, most reefers would probably agree that reefers who keep sps will feed fish alot less frequent where as most reefers who keep softies or lps may feed more. This may cause the behavior of fish to start picking at corals. Thoughts?

I feed my angels 4 times a day and they are fat as pigs.
The Flame nips at some SPS but not enough to hurt them just the PE is reduced and they open at night instead. The Emperor is still a juvenile so time will tell if it wll start acting up. So far it is only interested in food.

SPS actually need MORE fish poop to survive when they are growing so I am feeding more as the colonies grow. It is either feed the fish more or spend more money on coral foods to do the same.

Coral Beauty Angel
Only had him for 3 or 4 months but he never even touches my coral. Very active and pretty fish. Had a Flame Angel previous to the CB which I had for 3 or 4 months but he never moved or ate a lot. He died, which prompted me to get this one.

Angel

Angel

Coral Beauty Angel
I've had my current one for ~2 years with no problems in my mixed reef. I owned one prior to this one for quite a while that also had no problems. I do not have a clam however.

I had a Regal at 3" and a Majestic at 3 1/2".

The Regal immediately bored his way straight down the mushroom coral eating as he went.

The Majestic ate all my mushrooms with gusto.

I now have only an Annularis Angel at 5" and he is quite assertive with the triggers.

A beautiful fish that loves pellets, flakes, vitamin soaked freeze dried krill.

I did see some 1/4" red mushrooms blooming on the rocks recently that had been out of sight for years.

Other than that, it is live rock with Red Rose Bubble Tip anemones and a True Carpet anemone with no bothering from fish.

Last edited:
Flameback Angel, nips at pocilliporas but no damage, killed an acan. Will probably keep him but no acans will be possible.

I have a emperor in my 225 long. He's a juvenile I just got into corals. Have 4 to be honest 2 acan lords a wellsophyllia and a open brain I was scared hearing all the large angel horror stories but so far so good. I feed 4 times a day a huge variety of food and also give seaweed once a day. But only time will tell since he is still a juvenile changing to an adult though.

Have had a Flame angel for around 1 month now, nips at corals occasionally but never does any damage whatsoever, but he is very aggressive and a bit of a punk to the shrimp

Since I have gravitated away from corals completely and gone to anemones and fish, I am receiving a four inch Annularis tomorrow to go with my six inch male which should give me a male female pair of Annularis. I will still have my six inch Red Rose Bubble Tip anemone, five inch Haddon's anemone and my 20" True Carpet Anemone with a lone Clarki who likes to have the singel large four stripe damsel keep her company. The eight year old pair of spawning Tomato clowns are on the other end with the BTA.

I am also receiving my seven and eighth pairs of brood stock clownfish which I will be keeping in a 55 gallon with sponge filters until I can set up an over under 20H tank set up for them. They will be a Premium Black Snowflake and Australian Dwarwin's Black Ocellaris pairs. I have four 20H and two 29H tanks with crushed coral substrate, live rock, and anemones for each of my brood stock. Personally, I refuse to keep an clownfish without an anemone and vice versa.

I am also receiving six bubble tips to go with my Red Rose BTA for the wild caught Red Sea clownfish, Yellow Haddon's Carpet for the Extreme Black Snowflake/Extreme Black Ice pair, and a green BTA for the first 1st generation Australian Dwarwin's Black Ocellaris pair.

The Australian pairs are from different Australian breeders who paired them from different willd caught parents for brood stock. This way I will be able to raise my own brood stock with two pairs of Australian Dwarwin's Black Ocellaris which are both 1st generation.

Apologies. I also am traveling down the clownfish breeding road as well although I still like my show tank with the angels, triggers, and puffers and recently put two 48"-60" Marineland Reef Capable LED fixtures on the show tank.

Big excitement for the angels and I am getting off work at 11:00 am to welcome everybody to their new home and as well as a girl friend for the big Annularis.

I have a male six inch Annularis and a 3 1/2 inch female Annularis.

I will be picking up a 3" to 4" pair of tank raised Scribbled Angelfish at the airport on Saturday.

They should enjoy the 250 lbs of live rock.

Bicolor Angel
Had been great in my mixed reef with LPS, SPS, Softies, and Zoas.
Added a new Blasto frag, next day they were both half eaten. Saved the frag by using a soap dish as a frag rack, he can't get into it when mounted high on the glass.
Noticed him nipping at my Ultra Aussie Lobo last night........but no damage was done.
Might be time to get the fish trap out again.

Back