The angel thread to end all angel threads: all owners of angelfish in reefs respond!!

imperator angel, 5in adult 180 reef
eats squid mysis brine emerald entree mini mysis krill and chopped up clams in a 1/2 shell
never touch any of my lps which i have tons off, i have notice when my sps colonies slime up he likes to pick at and eat the slime, never touched any of my clams, maxima crocea derassa

cherub, i think its a pair but (2) never touched anything that i can notice, there so small they might pick at something but id never notice the damage

regal angel (red sea)
had 2 a couple of years back(at different times) once u get them to eat and over the shock of transport they were great fish, never had any problems with them
fed them mysis brine squid and clams on a 1/2 shell

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15257019#post15257019 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hottuna
Just because one particular type of angel doesnt nip at coral 'x' in your tank doesnt mean a thing...it goes by the fish...back in the day -Terry Siegel from aquarium frontiers was saying all kinds of angels were "reef safe" when others and myself tried the same species we had problems...so- as well intended as I know you are-nothing is guaranteed...
Agreed, but the OP indicated he would be tracking the numbers of yes/no responses by type of fish to come up with some type of probability for each. I'm interested in the results.

Small adult Asfur and a Flame Angel.

Mixed reef. The Flame will nip at the corals while looking for food on the rocks but does no damage. Asfur has been a perfect citizen to date, however, he does chase the Flame some.

Thanks

Andrew

Coral Beauty (Centropyge bispinosus)
In tank for 6-8 months.
Eventually nipped at clam mantles, will nip at any exposed snails.

Flame Angel - reef safe

Bi-colored angel - reef safe

Both will taste a coral from time to time, but I've never seen either damage my corals.

I have a 'changing' Juv. Imperator Angel in a 240g reef.
I try to keep him well fed to lower risks.

In the 6 mths. that I have had him he has not touched any coral in the tank! (fingers crossed- knocking on wood)

The only down side is he is becoming a bully of sorts!

Cherub Angel.

Feisty little guy. Nips at algae and outswims a Blue Tang. Loves to swim against the current in the corners of the tank. Never Had a prob with it nipping corals. Beautiful blue color. Had it for 2 years.

My first Coral Beauty of about 3" was very safe. Never saw it touch a single coral. When it died unexpectedly I replaced it with a 2" Coral Beauty. This fish was a tyrant and picked at LPS over any other food source in the aquarium. Both fish were very active but the first one grazed on the rock. This smaller one tore the tissue of an open brain coral really bad. I had to take it back. My new Cherub angel has been a good boy so far.... We'll see.

Re: The angel thread to end all angel threads: all owners of angelfish in reefs respond!!

Re: The angel thread to end all angel threads: all owners of angelfish in reefs respond!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15254717#post15254717 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LobsterOfJustice

1. What kind of angel
2. Wether it was reef-safe
3. If it was not reef-safe, what did it eat?

1. Cherub angelfish - have had it for 6 months
2. So far hasn't touched any corals

1. Nox angelfish - have had it for a month
3. Not reef safe IME - eats my orange and pink zoas-leaves others alone, picks on my trumpet, but leaves my neon green candy canes alone. I suspect it picks at some other LPS but have yet to catch it.

My advice with this is to get a pool of the most commonly available Angelfish, and take a sample number of results to make it; so your chart is not overrun with the same type of fish compared to another type thus avoiding extremely skewed results.

1. Potters Angelfish - Had it about 5 months
2. Did not EAT any corals but did nip from time to time
3. Reef safe with caution, every angel is different so YMMV (your mileage may very).

Joculator Angel (4")- ocassionally picks on LPS and SPS corals (low polyp extension on SPS), clam was not touched must be well fed (5-6 heavy feedings a day to distract) owned appx. 1 year. Never truly damaged any corals.

Red Sea Regal Angel (5")- nipped on some LPS, SPS were full polyped (different tank than joculator), munched Zoanthids Bad when intro'd but that was before it began feeding. close to same as Joculator ime in safeness except for zoos (never reintro'd) didn't have clams.

Blue Face (5")- nipped on everything. never killed any, but lps were not fleshy and often damaged, sps polyp extension suffered. fed up to 10x a day with seaweed in at all times to no avail. sold fish for profit :)

1. African Flame Back Angel
2. Mostly reef safe, started to nibble at star polyps and some other corals when first added, but after a few weeks he stopped bothering about corals.
3. Star Polyps, and nibbled a few other corals, only for a short period of time

ps. HE ALSO ATE VERTEMID SNAILS

1. Fisher's Angelfish
2. I'll let you know i get him tommorow
3. I'll let you know i get him tommorow

All data up to this point entered (i.e. bookmark for myself)

Apparently angels are a lot more safe than I (we?) thought. Or maybe we're getting poor skewed data.

In a 90 gallon mixed reef:

Coral Beauty - model citizen but aggressive.

Eibli - Mild mannered, but nipped at pretty much everything (sps and leathers especially) and was removed

As others have said,I think it really varies from fish to fish and people really need to remember that... I personally have had really good luck with angels in my reefs.

I've owned:

Juvi and now adult emp. Always checkin everything out real close but no nips on the clam, sps or lps.

Regal small: A Perfect little angel. Regal Large: A couple clam nips and sampled the brain's but that was before it was eating prepared food. Now it could care less.

Asfur Adult: A great reef fish with the exception of pocillopora, stuff must taste good cause it was all over the large colony. Fragged it up and gave it away before the angel totally killed it. Hasn't ever bothered any other sps or lps.

Flame angel: A good fish for the first 5 months or so then I came home to it destroying a basketball size piece of orange aussie hammer. That fish was very close to becoming carpet food!

African Flameback: Great little fish, was safe for the first 6 months I had him them he went carpet surfing. Damn rimless tanks!

have a flame angel. good beautiful fish. hasn't touched a thing that i am aware of.

It seems as long as you feed it plenty of food, then it'll be satisfied and won't mess with the corals?

Back