The angel thread to end all angel threads: all owners of angelfish in reefs respond!!

small asfur angel for 6 months. kept with sps lps and softies, doesnt bother anything except for my flame angel which he occasionally chases. the flame doesnt pick on anything

Majestic angel for approx 4 months. Tank is mostly SPS, a few chalice frags, a few zoo colonies, and 1 euphylia LPS.

I feed pellets 4x a day, and different frozen (rods, mysis, etc.) 1x day.

It ate a sponge growing in zoo colonies day one, but has not touched anything else. picks at rocks all day.

One thing to think about is that some of these angels might never kill a coral but their constant "sampling" can definitely effect a coral. Some can be real sneaky about their sampling too, so you might have to watch it closely for an hour or two to see what it does.

Good story I heard from a LFS the other day. Lady had a Flame angel for years and loved it. When it died she decided she just had to have another one, but her favorite LFS wasn't going to be able to get one in for a month or so, she decided it was worth the wait. Came back a month later to the LFS and told them to cancel her order. In a month without an angel in the reef her corals polyp extension had almost doubled and she was seeing aspects of the corals she'd never seen before.

I guess it really depends on how much you like your corals. All that being said, I am thinking about adding a Cherub (Centropyge argus) to my 120g sometime in the future.

CORAL BEAUTY #1: Picked on nothing.
CORAL BEAUTY #2: Picked on nothing.
ROCK BEAUTY: Ate sponges I intentionally places there, picked on no corals, I also fed the tank heavily.
POTTERS: Picked on nothing, lived strickly on LRs.
EMPEROR: Picked on nothing.
FLAME: Picked on nothing.
BLUEFIN: Picks on leather corals. Nothing else.

I have a mixed reef, mostly LPS, but also some SPS, Zoas, Rics, shrooms, nems, etc. I do not have any clams though!!

The flame Angel is bossy, it doesnt chase any of the other angel continuesly but does shoo them away from time to time!!

Potter's Angel in my 144 for about 3 mos. and never touched a coral.

Added a Coral Beauty and they both started nipping at corals, specifically my acans.

Took them both out and had most acans recover, but not all.

2.5 " Flame Angel = 2.5 yrs

3" Coral Beauty = 3.5 yrs

Both model citizens; never nipped at any corals or clams

8" Queen Angel = 1 yr

First 3 months, perfectly fine; next 3 months, ate (2) 20+ head candycanes down to the skeleton... last 6 months, now eats zoas, palys, and duncans as well

Guess who's going "bye bye"?

Juv. French Angel (2") in a softie/LPS tank. Seems to only nip at the Kenya tree (which I'm happy about actually) and occassionaly a clutch of large button polyps. Otherwise leaves everything else alone.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15260876#post15260876 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LobsterOfJustice
All data up to this point entered (i.e. bookmark for myself)

Apparently angels are a lot more safe than I (we?) thought. Or maybe we're getting poor skewed data.

a main mis understanding is that thats all angels will eat is corals, but thats not true they eat a wide variety of stuff in the wild corals making up very little of their diet. so if you feed them well in an aquarium and have a variety of foods and a good feeding schedule angels are going to be alot more reef safe that popularly believed.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15266516#post15266516 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mdrc
a main mis understanding is that thats all angels will eat is corals, but thats not true they eat a wide variety of stuff in the wild corals making up very little of their diet. so if you feed them well in an aquarium and have a variety of foods and a good feeding schedule angels are going to be alot more reef safe that popularly believed.

Couldn't agree more. Mine:
Red Sea Regal - zoas are candy, likes xenia as well, never bothered clams, sps, lps.
Blueface - likes clams, doesn't bother coral
Majestic - bothers nothing
Coral Beauty - bothers nothing
Bellus - bothers nothing

All data up to this point entered.

Some percents so far:

Blueface - 75%
Flame - 86%
Coral Beauty - 84%
Regal - 70% (lots of notes on this one though)
Majestic - 80%
Potter - 89%

Others dont have enough data yet

We have recently added a pretty large Koran (approx. 7" & almost completely changed from juvi coloring). She, so far, is fine. She is very shy and not very aggressive. Our tank so far only has some softies, zoas, a little LPS and sponge, etc. that came on our live rock. She has not touched a thing. We plan on adding SPS when our tank is more mature. She did completely eat all of our aptasia, which is fantastic. Really perfect so far and she is beautiful!

Coral Beauty: 6 months in my tank, didn't touch a coral
Flame: 8 months in my tank, didn't touch a coral

are those percentages for reef safe or for non reef safe
like ..% reef safe or ..%non reef safe

What, I get to be the first to report on the Singapore Angelfish (also Vermiculated Angelfish), Chaetodontoplus mesoleucus? Lucky me, I get a prize no?

Anyhow, I've had this guy for two years and he's been fine with my soft & lps corals, no harm done whatsoever. I do not have any sps or clams so can't speak to those. I've read that in the wild they specialize as sponge eaters, but haven't seen my specimen go after any of those in my tank either. Perhaps the sponges are too well hidden, although this guy is pretty skillful at exploring the nooks & crannies. He takes a variety of food in my system, flakes, granules, loves mysis and shares the nori on the veggie clip with my Yellow Tang. Pretty intelligent when it comes to feeding time, he's the first one to head for the feeding ring when the food drops and starts picking it off at the surface. He also gets to the veggie clip before the tang and tears away with vigour.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15269212#post15269212 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mdrc
are those percentages for reef safe or for non reef safe
like ..% reef safe or ..%non reef safe

% reef safe

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15268860#post15268860 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LobsterOfJustice
All data up to this point entered.

Some percents so far:

Blueface - 75%
Flame - 86%
Coral Beauty - 84%
Regal - 70% (lots of notes on this one though)
Majestic - 80%
Potter - 89%

Others dont have enough data yet

nice work. Thank you.

What are you concidering as "enough data"?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15270488#post15270488 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AquamanE
nice work. Thank you.

What are you concidering as "enough data"?

More than a few responses on a given species. A lot of others only have 1-3 responses for example which I figured would be misleading info. Hopefully the info keeps coming and I will post the full file which will include the total number of individuals and any notes.

Back