The BobbyV Build - 150 Rimless Starphire with Shadow Overflow 60x24x24

So I know I mentioned that I was going to go with an EcoTech L2 Vectra. Well reality hit me and I chose to lay up and save the $350 difference and buy a Jabeo 15000 and simply turn it way down. Less Watts, Less Heat related calcification on the impeller and I can buy three of these units per one Ecotech L2.

I may change my mind if I find myself spending more money in the future. However I am going to give this pump a go. Very easy to swap out. So I will simply buy an identical back up.

Technically my plumbing is now complete. Now to find sometime to add the water and leak test the plumbing with the pump running.

49384627081_015ba109f8_c.jpg

Some have reported issues with aluminum leaching in the tank from some of those biomedia. So I would suggest occasional doing an ICP test. Also, if you grow caulerpa in your fuge one of its properties is that it will uptake aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice look. I know it doesn't look great now but it is a smart approach. Once corals grow in it will fill up. Also now there are options for man made Tonga branch that you can wedge in the corals and rock to add for additional coral placement.

My buddy said the same exact thing. A year from now it will not matter I will appreciate the room I gave myself.

Some have reported issues with aluminum leaching in the tank from some of those biomedia. So I would suggest occasional doing an ICP test. Also, if you grow caulerpa in your fuge one of its properties is that it will uptake aluminum.

Yea I will monitor it. I had good luck with it in the past. We will see how it goes.

People have reported that they are solid pumps

The same reviews sold me on them. Also I got something over sized DC version (3,800 GPH) so I will not run it harder than 50%. I think when people max anything out either it be any type of pump the added heat and friction on the impeller causes them to lock up and wear out sooner.

Would rather spend the funds saved on skinning my stand and buying other essentials. Can not believe I sold everything off for 10 cents on the dollar. Such an expensive hobby this is just to get started.

Looks very nice. Great idea with the bio media. I have a few in the back chamber of mine. I also use Jebao return pumps and just like you said, with the money you would spend on a "premium" pump, you can buy two of these and swap them out during maintenance and in case one kicks the bucket.

I have yet to run into issues with mine and I've had them for over a year now. When I decide to do maintenance, I just take one out, put the backup one in and let the "old" one soak in vinegar/water mix without rushing to clean it up.

Looking good. I'm eyeballing an SC 150 myself. I'm surprised more tank manufacturers don't produce the 60x24 dimension. It's perfect for a reef.

A couple suggestions. I would drill holes in the top of your rocks for frag pegs or plugs. I did for plugs, but on my next build everything is going on frag pegs. This way you can easily pull the coral for fragging or dipping in antibiotics if necrosis pops up.

Also, now would be a great time to pop a hole in the exterior wall to run your skimmer air line outside to keep pH up.

Looking forward to seeing this develop.

Frag pegging.
http://youtu.be/rrGUu6Qt8ZA

Last edited:
Slowly getting there . . . a job in which I travel a lot makes it a challenge.

I introduce to you DOORS!

Again, I am not a carpenter by trade nor was wood shop offered in my high school but for a DIY Home Depot Sunday warrior. I could have done worse.

My proudest moment of this build was having the front doors line up perfect and freely swing independently with out catching the other door.

I have magnets on the inside of them so they stay put and hold firmly so they look nice and flush.

Stand with paint and materials only cost me $170.05. Pretty nice all considering.

I have a separate excel spreadsheet calculating my running total of this build so far.

Making the space under the frag tank my area where I will mount my electronics. This will be a safe place from sump splashing and residual humidity rust you tend to see develop of the years of operation.

Last edited:
awesome work sir. That is super cheap for the stand and doors. That is cheaper than a factory biocube stand!

awesome work sir. That is super cheap for the stand and doors. That is cheaper than a factory biocube stand!

Hilarious right?

I used all prime lumber. The most expensive piece of lumber was that 3/4 inch sanded ply wood for like $60 they offer.

Also this is built like a tank with compression.

Yes . . . Keeping it OLD SCHOOL however proven and easier to be successful with.

Reef Brite XHO Actinic

Also got the main display and frag tank filled with RO. Only took 15 hours!

Probably going to cost me $100 in water utility.

I tell you what that GAINT JABEO return pump I bought is whisper quite. The ATI Fans are louder if you can believe it. I am sold on the DC pump technology. This should tell you how much I am not in the know of new gear currently out. I have been living under a rock somewhere.

Have turned the pump all the way down at 25 watts! At this low speed and heat, this pump should last me a long time. Yes, I know they are sketchy build quality but at this minimal demand I am pretty confident will last. Also cost me near nothing to run. I remember the DANNER MAG 12 pumps pulling crazy watts to run. But that is what we all used at one point.

Also added my dosing pumps. There are again old school. But I have them for over a decade on previous builds. They last forever, cheaper than the Neptune Dose and I know how to use them.

WE HAVE WATER!!!!!! FINALLY!!!

I'm glad you have been converted to the DC pumps side. They have a bad reputation, but I have not had any issues myself.

WE HAVE WATER!!!!!! FINALLY!!!

I'm glad you have been converted to the DC pumps side. They have a bad reputation, but I have not had any issues myself.

What I am going to do is use this return pump to get the tank going for the next 8 months or so. Save up some money.

Then when Ecotech has their once a year ThanksGiving 10% off sale I will buy an L2.

Since I have a pair of MP40's QD's in the mail to me, the L2 would be a really nice fanboy addition.

Then use this Jabeo as a back up when I perform annual cleanings on the L2.

Reminder, I called Ecotech and they machined the tolerances larger on the L2 vs the L1 to create better cooling.

Who knows I might stare at the check out cart for 30 minutes and chicken out spending the $400 on the return pump.

1st world problems.

The BobbyV Build - 150 Rimless Starphire with Shadow Overflow 60x24x24

Nice choices. It's cool to see someone who is choosing equipment based on experience and not the latest and greatest. It is going to show in a couple of years that you don't need all high equipment, but rather being selective in what products you are going to use. I agree that for example MP40 are pricey but the offer something knowone else has and they have a proven track record. They are also 1 of 3 manufacturers that offer a battery backup option. The Jebao though cheap is also a pretty reliable pump overall. Also a good backup or mixing pump. Xho pricey but quality and proven. Also a nice supplement to T-5's. The BRS dosers are also reliable and if you hook them up to a smart power strip you can set whatever schedule you want. Well played sir, well played.

Thank you for the comments. As some whom are still lurking around, I have been around a long time. Made plenty of mistakes and wasted tons of money learning what not to do.

Nothing good ever happens fast in a reef. An ounce of prevention saves you tons of frustration and money moving forward.

I plan to cycle the tank and add very little fish. Keeping the lights off for 4 to 6 months initially to allow a very healthy bio film and bacteria to establish in order to avoid new tank syndroms the best I can.

I believe the #1 one reason people quit this hobby in the first year is being impatient which leads to the acquisition of pests. My dream is to have a great looking worry free reef tank regardless of how long it will take to get there.

Every frag I will purchase will come from the most reputable distributor with a quarantine system. I will also keep a journal in order to be transparent for others interested in my initial purchases and lineages.

This hobby to me is meeting new people with a common interest in mind. We come from all different backgrounds and cultures but share the same segmented lifestyle.

With my frags, I plan to pay it forward as much as possible.

I know reef central is becoming an ERA of the past.

Well if that is the case, then so am I. This is my preferred area to hang out and document my build. Feel free to continue to comment and enjoy/witness my activity as they unfold.

Last edited:
I plan to cycle the tank and add very little fish. Keeping the lights off for 4 to 6 months initially to allow a very healthy bio film and bacteria to establish in order to avoid new tank syndroms the best I can.

I believe the #1 one reason people quit this hobby in the first year is being impatient which leads to the acquisition of pests. My dream is to have a great looking worry free reef tank regardless of how long it will take to get there.

Hey man, good to see you getting back into the swing of things. I took a few years off myself and just restarted my SCA 150 about three weeks ago as well.

I like the approach to take it nice and slow. I'm blacking mine out for three months before adding a few fish very slowly.

Look forward to seeing your progress and we'll trade some frags again.

1tQLsxy.jpg

Back