The Bubble-Magus Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Review of BM260 Skimmer

Review of BM260 Skimmer

Review of BM260 Skimmer

Ordered this skimmer from Nu Ocean after reading positive reviews on the Internet. One of the main reasons for me was the need for a external skimmer that was low cost, but effective. So after using a DNW-200 and DNWB-200 neither really were handling the tanks bio-load.

The order process with NuOcean was great and shipping was cheap. The skimmer arrived in 2 days from UPS, but the box had me question if my skimmer was in one piece. After opening the box the skimmer was packed in shipping peanuts and wrapped in plastic bag. Even though it was in a plastic bag I had to spend some time removing peanuts from the output tube. Over all everything was in good shape, but really would like to see a little sturdier packaging.

After putting the skimmer together I decided to run it for 12 hours in vinegar water to help with the break in process. While running it I decided to hook up the watt meter it showed 55 watts for each pump. This was more than the advertised 33 watts. This didn't mean much since my old skimmer was pulling 195 watts.

So I drained the vinegar water and wiped down the skimmer. Installed fine in my stand since I already had an external skimmer. Started it up and was amazed at the amount of bubbles and how dense they were. This skimmer doesn't have a bubble plate, but there isn't too much turbulence by the neck. It started producing some wet skim mate within a few hours. The pumps are twice as quiet as the Octopus DNWB I was running.

So after a few days it was producing some good skimate I decided to test the watts and air pull. The pumps were still pulling around 55 watts (advertised 33 watts) and the air was 1200 lph (1400 lph advertised). Since I'm not overly hung up on the numbers since it is pulling great waste out of my water and is very quiet at half the price most other skimmers.

The only issue I have had is I noticed when the pumps were off the one had a slight leak were 2 fittings were glued together. So I emailed NuOcean about the issue to see what they would do. So not even a 1/2 day and I had an answer back. Basically they do not carry the fitting and due this product being from China they wouldn't be able to get it. If this was something I couldn't put a little glue on to fix I would be little upset, but it's a simple fix.

I'm still a believer that you get what you pay for, but this skimmer proved me wrong this time. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a good all around skimmer. Below are some pictures of the skimmer after 5 days of breaking in and about 2 days of skim mate.

378484114.jpg

378484146.jpg

378484148.jpg

378484136.jpg

378484117.jpg

After 5 days of running the cup was emptied and this was about 2 days worth.

378484120.jpg

378484130.jpg

Last edited:
I have to say that the pump which comes with the NAC-7 is a piece, skimmer is great get rid of the pump. Someone know of a good upgrade out there?

aquarium 003.jpg

aquarium 002.jpghere is my nac 7 its ben online for about 5hrs and I must say that this is the greenist skimmante I have ever seen you be the judge and as for the pump it is a little on the cheap side but its working good so far I've heard that their will be two other pump options one being a eihem and i forget the other one

View attachment 91283

View attachment 91284here is my nac 7 its ben online for about 5hrs and I must say that this is the greenist skimmante I have ever seen you be the judge and as for the pump it is a little on the cheap side but its working good so far I've heard that their will be two other pump options one being a eihem and i forget the other one

Looks really good, will be setting my NAC7 up between Christmas and New Year. I believe that the ehiem and aquabee pumps will not be available on the NAC7 as the pumps are physically too big. There are new models on www.bubble-magus.com with the new pumps.

Dimensions are 9.2" x 8.5" x 19.5 "
It comes with a Atman 2500 pump (same as a via aqua 2300) upgraded with a mesh wheel. It can be upgraded with an aquabee pump and probably any other pump but you will need to remove the pump base cause its not gonna fit in the same

I have a NAC6 in 10 inches of water and it runs perfect. What is the perfect depth for a NAC7? Does it run in a more shallow water depth then the NAC6 or is it same depth?

I need a skimmer for my very first reef tank, a 35G cube, and have been looking at the NAC3A and NAC5A. Anyone have any experiences with these?
Does te "muffler" thingy on the air tube on the NAC5A make any diffrence on the noise?

Im quite happy with it. Runs very quiet. Whats wrong with yours?

the pump worked for about 5hours then died, never to be resurrected, reefshops is sending a new and tested pump, should be here soon!

by the way reefshops has been pretty good about sending the new pump!

Any idea if the NAC7 is compatible with ozone, and if so how would you connect it to the skimmer?

I am deciding between Bubble-Magus BM200P and the BM NC7. I have a heavy bio load 155 gallon display and 33 sump. Which one would work better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back