The Build Begins

Dastank

Premium Member
Well, after all the talk I've ordered all of the key components, Ice Cap T5s, Moon lights, Euro Reef Skimmer, 3500 gph Reeflo Dart Pump, and Oceans Motions Super Squirt Compact. I haven't received anything yet, but I know it's all been shipped.

Today I started on the stand:

FRAGupdateNov002.jpg

2X4s getting attached to 4X4s

FRAGupdateNov003.jpg

The basic frame

FRAGupdateNov004.jpg

FRAGupdateNov006.jpg

I wood glued everything!

FRAGupdateNov008.jpg

Here's as far as I got in one afternoon

FRAGupdateNov010.jpg

I ran out of screws and time. I'll get more wrapped up tomorrow!

I couldn't resist... I had to see how it was going to look!

FRAGupdateNov012.jpg

very nice, like woodcrafting myself, I'm always building something for the house or for the restaurant. Anyhow, with that being said, I ended up buying a stand offbase because it was on sale, I paid $150 for a 900mmx450mmx450mm tank Stand. I figured building it myself I'd end up paying about $100 in wood alone. So now, I'll settle for just building a canopy for housing lights and stuff.

I got my new skimmer and the Oceans Motions in the mail today, still waiting on lights and pump.

Stained the front of the stand black so no color would show through the full doors and used the fiberglass resin to seal the bottom of the stand.

Stand002.jpg

what kind of Protein skimmer did you get, and what lights are you getting...?

I've been seriously debating getting a Sunpod, anyone else like them...?

I got the Euroreef CS80. Customaquatics had then on sale $199, usualy $265.

I'm putting IceCap T5 lighting over the new tank. Still waiting for it to arrive!

I love metal halide lighting, I just don't like the heat or the energy consumption.

Painted the interior of the stand today and purchased the exterior wood to finish it. I need to do some jointing and wood work before I can process, might take me a while. I also remembered why I hate to paint. Note the white smudges on the front of the frame.

Stand004.jpg

Do a little sanding on the front and a little more stain. Oh, There is a thing called tape you might want to use when painting. It works quite well. :idea:

I went to Mikes last night and check this out. He did a real nice job with it all! That oceans motions unit is pretty spiffy also.

OK, I started with the doors since they are going to take up the entire front of the tank. I still have some work to do on them, but they turned out pretty nice.

Stand006.jpg

Stand008.jpg

I also finished the side panels. After I get it all adjusted I can measure the missing pieces and get it finished.

Man, You are moving right along with that thing. Guess I better get going with mine. You are lucky to have a place to work outside. I have my driveway but can't do anything when it's raining so I moved everything into the spare bedroom. (hope the wife isn't upset when I start putting the clear on inside the house)

Couple Q's for you. How think is the wood plank for the doors? How did you join them together? and Last but most important, how are you going to keep them from cupping or warping in the high humidity environment?

I like what I see so far. You should be embarassed about the smudge marks!

FWIW, I spar-urathaned the heck (4 coats) out of my stand and almost a year later everything looks as good as the day I made it. No warping or discoloration.

I want to see pics of the new tools you were allowed to buy! Santa said he might get me a nice chop saw and/or band saw if I'm a good boy.

Man, I love the unsecurity of wireless! (A special thanks to my new neighbor for allowing me to unsuspectingly use their services) Geez I can't wait for my own to d/l some serious songs!

Dana

As I said, I still had some work to do on them...

They are 14mm thick.

I used a table router to cut channel out of one side and the opposite out of the other. A little wood glue some clamps and a sander and a day later you couldn’t tell where one started and the other ended.

As far as warping, first use a high quality hard wood. I'm using a semi-hard wood mahogany. Second brace it. Third seal the #$%@ out of it. You couldn't expect a 1-meter panel of wood, like my doors, to hold up without some type of bracing and/or support.

Stand010.jpg

Glad to see your back online Dana!

Back