The Dolphin Pet Village DPV Anemone Back Story

DPV = Specific Lineage...

DPV = Specific Lineage...

Nice post [MENTION=64970]Mr2KiEu[/MENTION].

Seems like even some well known local reefers have gotten the DPV strain mixed up with what's aka "Purple Passion" or otherwise common purple w/green tip BTAs. Couple of pics to help folks know the difference.

- Base/Foot Color: Best described as a mauve purple. If it's any sort of bright purple/magenta/etc, not a DPV. This will be the easiest giveaway.

- Tip Color: Bright neon green. Green color often extends 1/4" to 1/2" down the tentacle. Between the green tip and mauve purple color, it's often a mix I can only think to describe as "White-ish purple/green."

- Bubbles: Consistent color, without white splotches. Not translucent.

- Bubbling: Bubbles less frequently than other BTAs, IME. Can be mistaken for a Ritteri somewhat easily. Bubbles occur in the "White-ish purple/green" part of the tentacle, not at the very top. When bubbled, the tip till be dangly, not stubby. Not sure how to describe exactly, but it'd approach NSFW...

Source: Received DPV BTA from Tyler ~15 years ago.

Attachments

• DPV.jpg
    DPV.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Not a DPV.jpg
    Not a DPV.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 3
Nice post [MENTION=64970]Mr2KiEu[/MENTION].

Seems like even some well known local reefers have gotten the DPV strain mixed up with what's aka "Purple Passion" or otherwise common purple w/green tip BTAs. Couple of pics to help folks know the difference.

- Base/Foot Color: Best described as a mauve purple. If it's any sort of bright purple/magenta/etc, not a DPV. This will be the easiest giveaway.

- Tip Color: Bright neon green. Green color often extends 1/4" to 1/2" down the tentacle. Between the green tip and mauve purple color, it's often a mix I can only think to describe as "White-ish purple/green."

- Bubbles: Consistent color, without white splotches. Not translucent.

- Bubbling: Bubbles less frequently than other BTAs, IME. Can be mistaken for a Ritteri somewhat easily. Bubbles occur in the "White-ish purple/green" part of the tentacle, not at the very top. When bubbled, the tip till be dangly, not stubby. Not sure how to describe exactly, but it'd approach NSFW...

Source: Received DPV BTA from Tyler ~15 years ago.

Nice post [MENTION=19443]fishmonger[/MENTION]

Except for "œBubbles: Consistent color, without white splotches. Not translucent..."

My experience, this will happen to DPV also if there's chemical warfare. Also the bubble seems to go away and the tentacles becomes wrinkly strings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice post [MENTION=19443]fishmonger[/MENTION]

Except for “Bubbles: Consistent color, without white splotches. Not translucent...”

My experience, this will happen to DPV also if there’s chemical warfare. Also the bubble seems to go away and the tentacles becomes wrinkly strings.

I suppose all tanks are different, but I’ve never seen white splotches or translucent bubbles on a confirmed DPV. I’ve housed the DPV with CSB, Inferno, “AZ Sunsets,” “Sherman’s,” and other unlineaged RBTA/Rainbows. Never seen translucent bubbles or white splotches. Usually chemical warfare results in funky looking tentacles - crooked/crinkled/otherwise not smooth looking.

Further, the two pics in my top post are in the same tank with CSB and Infernos. The second pic is definitely not a DPV. Unfortunate, but I suspect some well known folks in the community have been duped into thinking they had DPVs.

The Dolphin Pet Village DPV Anemone Back Story

Ahhh the good ol’ DPV thread resurfaces....

[MENTION=244710]fishmonger007[/MENTION] nice of you to add the helpful tips on how to identify a DPV since there are a few Purple Passions or similar looking anemones floating around claiming to be a DPV. Most of your observation seems correct, but a purple anemone with brownish mauve foot, white band and green tips can have all the characteristics of a DPV, but IMO I think it all comes down to tracing the lineage back to the actual Dolphin Pet Village LFS and Tyler [MENTION=53616]MorandiWine[/MENTION].

It’s similar to the Colorado Sunburst anemone that so many people have, but how many can really show proof they got it from Ki? I also suspect there are some lookalike DPVs out there. Aquatic Collection had a few back in 2018 that looked similar, but to someone that has only seen a DPV from pics it would've fooled them. However they did say those nems came from a trade in from a local tank breakdown, maybe it's a close cousin of a DPV?

Congrats that you are able to keep your DVP mixed with other anemones. A few people that I’ve sold a DPV to that has mixed them with other anemones has always failed. After about 6+ months their green tips fade, tentacles start to lose color, gray out, retract and shrivel away. I now only keep DPVs in a tank by themselves.

BTW, didn’t you buy your DPV from Coral2Coral back in 01/2019 when he was selling his? You said your tank got wiped out and asked to buy a DPV from me or for me to back down from buying the DPV so you can buy it instead.

For those that want to see confirmed DPVs check out mobert's infamous clownfish harem and anemone post. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1259398

DPV
f931e80ad9112a40b65de076dbe92be5.jpg

NOT DPV
ecf3599ae215a88d8ce9bc3ed578b65d.jpg

Last edited:
The challenge with “lineage” is that it’s all hearsay at some point, and it only takes one person guessing, mixing things up, etc. to throw others off. I’d require lineage plus a nem that checks all the boxes if I really want a specific strain.

Though not looking too hard, I haven’t come across a random “Purple Passion” that checked all the boxes of a DPV. Each time, it’s either the bubbling, bubble colors, or base color which give it away.

Hey [MENTION=64970]Mr2KiEu[/MENTION]
Someone brought another "Is this a DPV" question to me... And curious for your thoughts.

DPVs, over the years, have not grayed out when mixed with another nem. [MENTION=3913]mobert[/MENTION] harem tank confirms this as there were tons of RBTAs in that tank. I've kept DPV with CSB and RBTA for years without issue.

I'm starting to think that one of the purple passions made it's way to becoming known as a "DPV," and perhaps even got mixed in ~2013.

I have a DPV mixed with the impostor DPV, CSB, and inferno. The impostor DPV grayed out (in about 3 months), and the true DPV is holding its colors.

I want a picture of the original dpv the very first one

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Lol - Don't we all :)

But seriously, if you're buying a nem (to the tune of $500) for its lineage, wouldn't it be nice to know you've got the right strain? Believe me, I hate the name game when it comes to corals, having survived the "œtrue hornet" phase, etc.

Hey [MENTION=64970]Mr2KiEu[/MENTION]
Someone brought another "Is this a DPV" question to me... And curious for your thoughts.

DPVs, over the years, have not grayed out when mixed with another nem. [MENTION=3913]mobert[/MENTION] harem tank confirms this as there were tons of RBTAs in that tank. I've kept DPV with CSB and RBTA for years without issue.

I'm starting to think that one of the purple passions made it's way to becoming known as a "DPV," and perhaps even got mixed in ~2013.

I have a DPV mixed with the impostor DPV, CSB, and inferno. The impostor DPV grayed out (in about 3 months), and the true DPV is holding its colors.

Are you iCon from BAR as well?

There is no way you can mistakenly take passion for dpv.
I am more interested in the so called crossover bta or imposters.
Would like to acquire oddballs if anyone has them

Back