The fishman sucks

coryjones

Premium Member
I went over there today to look and get a new fish. He had nothing the only thing he had was a hand full of clowns with 3 floaters in one tank and another in a diffrent tank none of the fish had very good color. They have a puffer that didnt look to good as well. I am looking for a 210g tank I priced them every where

kens $915
salfin $980
fishman$1500

This is for the same allglass tank with overflows and glass lids
That is just crazy. On the other had i did find a 125g half circle tank with mh light sump ready to go for $1000 i am thinking real hard on it

there is a nice setup for sell on the slash rc website for $1000 obo, try johhny's reefing experince in Normal IL they may have a decent price. also a 150 here in spfld on ebay was at $99 last I looked!

check Fishin Times in Pekin 309-353-7171. the owners name is Greg. tell him the prices you have and see if he will beat it. he may even be able to take a trade in if you have it. he deals in used stuff also.

I think the title of this thread is a little harsh. I think on this board we need to refrain from flaming LFS. Even if you agree with something said it is not good for the community if you are flaming people. I have had very good luck with the fish I have got from the fishman. Every fish I have gotten there has been healthy. Please look at these rules when posting. This is from SLASH they have a very good board.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=801161

To say they suck because of over pricing is a little harsh. Now if you had a bad experince there or with something from there I wouldnt call it flaming or bashing if you just posted your experince as long as its done respectfully.

Telling someone you know is a newbie that a Powder Blue Tang will do fine in a 29 gallon is just to sell a $69 fish to me is bad bussiness, I take as much blame as them for not doing my own homework first. This one thing alone Ive caught them on several times !!

Re: The fishman sucks

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11984547#post11984547 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coryjones
.....I am looking for a 210g tank I priced them every where

kens $915
salfin $980
fishman$1500
Didn't you say the new guy in Decatur (Reef FX?) was giving you a deal on this rig?
What did he quote you for a price?

I would like to say first off this is not to bash anyone just to get my point accross......
the following is a comment from that slash thread

"We are fortunate to have many fine vendors to choose from in the greater St. Louis area and see no reason to bash any of them. If you wish to bash, do it with your money and take your business elsewhere. We, as a club, wish to cultivate a relationship with all of the local vendors. These relationships can easily benefit everyone in the club in the form of discounts, sponsorship and /or vendor participation in the club. There is no doubt that these vendors will be reading this forum and will likely base the amount of their interaction with our club on what is said about their business. Let's not give them a reason to decline participation"

They dont wanna loose sponsors over loose lips shooting off at the mouth cant say I would blame them, Not fair to the club and may not be fair to the LFS.

I have approached a few people on the commercial level about sponsorship and have another in mind. To be a club sponsor of SDIRB willl take more than just $$$ we (sdirb) would have to be pround or atleast not ashamed of promoting someone or something to have them on our team. If they lowered there dry good prices a bit worked a little harder on the fish/reef setups I would show them a liitle more respect.

In this hobby when you skimp on $$ you loose quality, theres alota $$$ to be spent there but not alot of quality. I am in there atleast 3-4 times a week just to see whats changed, I see what most ppl either aint around or over look.

I to have had pretty good luck with fish from them !! my best advice when dealing with a LFS is to treat it like a used car lot buyer beware and know what your dealing with get prices other places.

Last edited:
Ok i see what you are saying i am sory but tje last 4 or 5 times i have drove over there they always say they got a bad shipment of fish is there exscuse to why everything is dieing . I find it hard to belive that . I have herd them tell people that they could put a lion fish in with clown as long as they wouldn't fit in there mouths my jaw dropped. If did find something i liked it was like pulling teeth to get them to wait on ya. I agree maybe i should stop spending money there. I refuse to go to south side here in decatur because of i afish i got there that died and they refused to do anything about it. As for getting a aquarim from reef fx the one he has in the front window that i was going to buy he cant sell with out the stand because with the stand it comes with a 10 year warenty and i dont need the stand so he is getting me a price on one without as soon as he gets back in to town next week. Once again i am sory if i offended anyone its just that the fish man i belive has gone down hill and just keeps getting worse.

I think it would be a good thing to get some forum rules posted and stickied on both boards guys.

I too have had bad experiences with some of the local stores. My personal opinion is that I don't really want the name of a low quality store associated with our club just for the money. If the stuff they sell is overpriced and unhealthy, I don't want someone coming to our site/board and seeing their ad. If they do business with them and get jipped on a price or buy unhealthy livestock because of the ad they saw on our site, I think that trumps the value of the sponsorship.

I would love; however, to see our club have an impact on the local stores. If we could grow strong enough to impact the setups and quality of the local stores, it would awesome. Springfield is very limited right now as far as LFS goes (as we all know), and the one we have obviously could use some work in different areas. If our influence could help make improvements there, the little world that is Springfield, IL reefing would be a better place.

Back