The Foam/rock Projects Here Thread

Finally done messing with my two main rocks. I need to order the rocks I'm going to use in the foreground now. When I get that all settled I'll post some picks.

So I don't my Rockwall for my 135 almost 10 years ago and I have not had a single issue with it! No degrading no fading nothing.
Here it is when I built it and today

I do have an issue maybe you guys can help me with. The tank at the wall is on right now is feeling and I would like to reuse it on my next tank. I think I can cut it off of the back wall. I silicone did very well so that crap would not build up behind it. My question is how do I transfer the rock wall onto my new tank without all the rock dying? Is there any other way I can attach the wall beside silicone it on?

I had one setup for six years. I took the tank down and tried to get the foam background off. It wasn't budging. End up selling the tank with the foam background. I did use the pond black foam on mine with the egg crate base. My only suggestion is if you are using rock in the wall make them larger than you think necessary. After applying the foam the rocks get really small. Rebuilt mine after the first try due to that issue. Jerry.

could you pretty much make a foam wall and also turn it into a floating reef? or just use the exact same stuff you guys are using for the foam wall and use it to make a floating reef?

Also can someone link some info on the products you are using and how much it can hold or you guys suggest it can hold if you were to do a floating reef with a shelf rock directly horizontal.

I used 2 foams
Great Stuff drys softer and is easy to work with http://www.homedepot.com/p/GREAT-ST...gclid=CKLK5si6xs8CFU86gQodug0GKw&gclsrc=aw.ds
and Smart Foam which drys harder and seems super buoyant http://www.lowes.com/pd/smartpond-Pond-Accessory/3066381

As far as a floating reef goes I can't remember where I saw it but someone did make a floating reef and kept it stationary using pvc. I know this stuff is very buoyant because many have failed to secure there walls down properly and there foam wall would break the silicone bond. If I was to try this I would go with something like the Smart Pond. I really think it could hold quite a bit of weight if you were to only attack coral to it. If you do try this make sure to post a link to your thread. I would love to see it

Now that I have made one for my current tank and I see how this stuff works. I will be using it on my next tank build whenever that may be. Its quite easy to work with and manipulate. The options and designs you could do are endless. Mine has been in the tank for just around 6 months without being covered with epoxy or anything else and is starting to cover in coralline algae nicely and has no sign of deterioration. Just be sure to use Pond Foam.

could you pretty much make a foam wall and also turn it into a floating reef? or just use the exact same stuff you guys are using for the foam wall and use it to make a floating reef?

Also can someone link some info on the products you are using and how much it can hold or you guys suggest it can hold if you were to do a floating reef with a shelf rock directly horizontal.

Why not just a ledge? I have rock on the top and bottom. I also made brackets to help support the top. It comes out to about 1/2 the width of my 75gal.

Last edited:
Foam wall experience and feedback.

Foam wall experience and feedback.

Tanks look very similar! I had mine up for almost 4 years. Loved it, loved the look I couldn't get with regular rock. I used pond foam, coated with epoxy and loaded with sand and bits of rock and coral.

2 issues I had with it. A punk emerald crab I couldn't catch was picking at it in a couple spots. 2nd was I don't think I did a good enough job sealing the wall so I was building up detritus behind the wall. Carefully plan and this is an easy remedy. Many admired the tank when they came over. Loved it and miss it!!!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 3
Question for everyone on placement of coral on rock wall....

Has anyone had any issues with coral on a rock wall? Maybe something they wish they didn't put on there, something that spears easily, something that killed other coral, etc.

I was thinking of putting an acan echinata on the back rock wall but not sure if as it grows it will take everything out etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting ready to finish up my foam rock wall project but wanted to clarify...

Will coralline algae grow on the sand (special grade) attached to foam with epoxy?

I know it will eventually grow on the foam itself if no sand is used, but as long as the sand adheres to the epoxy, will it also grow on special grade sized sand?

Back