the guys from tanked and petco are joining forces

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtstylez87

I was told by a petco manage who shall remain nameless that ATM is going to be installing new saltwater livestock systems in all of their stores and the plan is to have them in by 2013. in addition the ATM company it going to train people on how to set up and maintain salt water tanks and put them to work in all the petco stores. their plan is to sell saltwater set ups and have their "train experts" come out set up and service the tanks people buy. I dont know about you guys but this scares the crap out of me. these people are going to kill so much fish, inverts, and coral its not even going to be a joke. we have to figure out away to stop them. we should boycott all ATM products.

Last edited:
If you look at one of the episodes filmed outside, you can see a bunch of Petco Trailers in the background? I am guessing Petco realizes they have an issue and trying to fix it?

I think the ATM guys get a bad wrap from the editing of their show! Yeah, some of their methods are unconventional; but for the most part, we are not seeing 95% of the work being done after they edit the crap out of it.

With that said, they are tank builders, and do a fine job of it! Many can argue that they should do things differently when it comes to stocking fish right away, but not many will argue about their tank making ability.

Even if they don't practice the proper ways to cycle a tank, PETCO needs all the help they can get. Hell, I would even visit one if I knew ATM was making their tanks!

Even though I am not a fan of the TOO gimicky show , not really what I believe most people are in the hobby for, it could hopefully be an improvement on an otherwise poor track record, Time will tell.

you guys have to realize that they do use natural seawater alot, and products like dr. tims one and only can cycle a tank very quickly.

I think trying to boycott ATM is a stupid idea, respectfully. They're trying to improve the overall bad fish reputation that Petco has. Petco knows they have a bad fish reputation as well. I think its a great idea, guess I don't know why you would be opposed to trying to create a better image for Petco. I know one thing for sure, you can't beat their price points sometimes. The Petco by my house has medium size Purple Tangs for $99. I know LFS that should get just as bad as rep as Petco but they don't.

How can you boycott a custom tank manufacturer (ATM) unless you are specifically in the market for that product? :confused:

Anyway I see it as a good thing. FWIW, my petco is great, I've bought livestock from them quite a few times with no issues. But some people tell RC horror stories of the poor conditions of SW fish in various other Petco stores.

The guys from Tanked/ATM will probably help Petco get their act together, the tanks they set up on TV are always in MUCH better shape than anything I've seen at even the best Petco stores.

And what the other guy said about the editing. They edit out the boring stuff, otherwise the show would "tank" or so to speak. The general public (NEWS FLASH) doesn't give half a crap about cycling a saltwater aquarium so the livestock isn't exposed to the raw end of the nitrogen cycle - they just want to see the finished product.

It's like any "build" show. They don't show the guys on American Chopper calibrating the bore/stroke of each engine, because people would change the channel.

How can you boycott a custom tank manufacturer (ATM) unless you are specifically in the market for that product?

If you actually go to ATM and go into the showroom its actually just like any other LFS. They have normal everyday glass and acrylic tanks for sale as well as livestock you can purchase. There's basically no custom built tanks in there because they are of course made to order. So yes you could technically boycott them but it would still be very stupid. They've done nothing wrong but try to expand the hobby.

I agree. They are doing good things for the hobby. They even mentioned once on their show that there is more that goes into it than meets the eye.

Sure they're knuckleheads on camera, and the show has stupid side-drama, and almost all the tanks they show on TV are TACKY beyond belief. BUT - if they cause a few people to venture to their LFS who wouldn't be in the hobby otherwise, it's ultimately a good thing for us as existing hobbyists and the stores that support us.

Before anyone cries foul, that they cause deaths of fish, etc. remember there are ALWAYS going to be people who set up aquariums with no regard for livestock health, proper procedure, etc. Tanked won't make or break that segment of LFS clientele.

I love petco, but the local one the saltwater fish arnt that good. Hopefully things change!! i live 10min away!!!

the last time I was in a petco they had bags of reef pods for sale that had expired 11 months ago. All the saltwater fish looked to have ich, half the tanks had atleast one dead fish in them. I would never support nor buy any product from them

Petco is responsible for more people failing in this hobby than anything else!
Eventually their poor quality management, employees, customer service and highest prices will get their doors closed!
If you love Petco then you really need to get out more!!

People who work at MC DS or where ever are trained with customer service and etc... but at minimal wage, this quickly goes out the window. Granted the person is working for an investor and is not in the business for themselves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

You mean taco bell and Porta potties

I smell a future ATM project using either or BOTH ideas mentioned here......sadly....

I mean seruiosly, a toliet, 20 tangs, and a turd wrapped in a tortillia......sounds like animal planet worthy TV to me:bounce1:

Petco is responsible for more people failing in this hobby than anything else!
Eventually their poor quality management, employees, customer service and highest prices will get their doors closed!
If you love Petco then you really need to get out more!!

well I love petco! they have healthy dog food for very cheap. that's it.

Mainstream commercialization will never be as idealistic as you want it to be. I am oddly lucky in that my petco is fairly well run. It's actually better than the closest independent lfs and all the fish I have gotten there (FW and SW) do very well. Maybe this partnership will raise the other stores to a more acceptable level. Id keep a hopeful eye out, it might actually help a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back