The Life Reef Skimmer Club

and did you go into detail with Jeff that you keep the location at such high temps typically?

This has gone on long enough honestly. You dont like the pump since you claim it is impacting your temps negatively whereas plenty of other people have no issues. I think more of the impact is the fact that you leave your house a few degrees shy of hades.

You can talk about the other tank but volumes have impacts as to thickness of glass, proximity to vents, closeness of windows, ect. So the pump didnt work in your instance. Fine get another pump. But you keep your home at such an odd temp that you can not judge his recomendation at all. That would be akin to someone asking what rose bush to get in their garden but failing to note that they live in the artic.

So in summary, pump didnt work for your odd situation, you're upset and need to get more efficient pump. To place blame on Jeff for you chosing to live on the edge is wrong however.

please explain how display is still 81 degrees right now at 4pm eastern time when my AC unit at the office is at 74 and sump set up is in an open space where there's plenty of air circulation.... this has nothing to do with keeping my AC unit at 79 degrees in november AT NIGHT when outside temperature is at 69 or less (heat does not kick in at all because I didn't put it as AUTO. I set it at minimum AC 79.... I don't follow your logic when temperature of office is actually COOLER at night than when my AC is set at for minimum.
Jeff knew the volume. He shouldn't have pushed this pump on me like it's the greatest and best.

Let's relax and not attack each other, ok? This is a friendly reminder to be civil.

This forum is not about trolling, reported.

Volume is a factor here for sure, but the biggest factor is that the office is sitting at 79F for most of the day. Simple as that, right?

You can be upset about his recommendations all you want, but it's you that's turning up the thermostat.

His recommendations are based on skimming performance and reliability. He knew the volume, but did he know that you were sending the thermostat up the 79F for most of the day? Even with a DC pump you're going to be 81, probably 82+ with the thermostat at 79.

Take a look in your shiny mirror.

did you read what I wrote earlier? I said i keep the thermostat minimum of 79 AT NIGHT for COOLING ONLY...... With temperature at night into the high 60s and low 70s, the actual temperature is even lower than the minimum 79. HEAT DOES NOT TURN ON IN MY OFFICE AT ALL. PLEASE KEEP THAT IN MIND. ONLY MY AC kicks in if temperature reach higher than 79 which it hasn't in over a month. Day time thermostat is 74-75 AC.

Jeff already knew the volume I was working with and still recommended those pumps. So is it my fault or his? Thanks.

Let's relax and not attack each other, ok? This is a friendly reminder to be civil.

thanks brian. I haven't been reefing for as long as you have but I'm not noob by any means; been in this hobby for over 5 years and went through a couple builds already. This is the first time that I've had a tank heat up the way it has.

this is an experience that I am sharing for future lifereef owners not because I hate lifereef, (the opposite in fact);

best skimmer I've ever owned, thus I have 2.

just don't agree with jeff's recommendation given the volume of water. and If i put the splash guards on, the tank cooks to 83-85.

Good way for you two to get an informative thread locked.
Who cares? You don't agree with he pumps Jeff recommends and I respect that, the beauty of those skimmers is it's easy to swap out pumps. Problem solved and as you stated you are happy with the performance of the skimmer
And then the other guy says your house temp is too warm, and their might be truth to that too. However you live there, not us. You pay those bills, not us. You can continue to bash this and get it closed or we can drop it.

These obstacles you mention have relatively easy fixes. Cool the house, or swap the pumps. No need to bicker back and forth

:deadhorse1::deadhorse1:

Corey

you guys experience any crazy temperature increase using the blueline?

i set up with the new sump and jeff sent me the 2xblueline for return and for skimmer but temperature will not get below 80 degrees. I have 3 fans and office temperature stays at 79 degrees. Don't believe anything else is keeping the heat up. radions and vortechs. really starting to believe the pumps jeff recommend are crap. same thing he did when he recommended me the mag 9.5. better ac pumps out there.

alright pictures didn't load up properly. disagree completely. without fans and room temperature at 79, I see swings up to 83-84. adding fans, I got down to 80.6-81.

dropping my office temperature down to 77, I see it maintaining 79-80.

I run radions on a 55g display. Pumps are vortechs. Highly doubt those two are heating up my tank. I have two tanks with two lifereef system for comparison(both run with radions and vortechs) so I'm not talking out of my butt. The SVS30 with sp4 and sicce 5.0 return is flawless in temperature even though I set my house temperature at 78 degrees day and night. This office system with both recommend pumps by jeff is crap at best.

FYI only at night when I keep it at 79 via AC and NO HEAT, when temperature outside already drops down to low 70s/ high 60s, thus it's actually COOLER than 79 degrees. Figure this is common sense for people since it is November already and not blistering 90s outside during summer time. And if you look at chart, rarely does it dip below 80 even when the AC is blasting during the day time.

obviously when I'm in the office, my AC is set at 75 degrees during the day time..... it's november. you can see the date on apex. I highly recommend lifereef products and have the entire setup, but jeff's recommendations of pumps is dumb. It happened with the mag9.5 with heat and performance but i let it pass figuring an external pump wouldn't heaten things up. wrong of course. definitely don't agree with his pumps recommendation whatsoever.

did you read what I wrote earlier? I said i keep the thermostat minimum of 79 AT NIGHT for COOLING ONLY...... With temperature at night into the high 60s and low 70s, the actual temperature is even lower than the minimum 79. HEAT DOES NOT TURN ON IN MY OFFICE AT ALL. PLEASE KEEP THAT IN MIND. ONLY MY AC kicks in if temperature reach higher than 79 which it hasn't in over a month. Day time thermostat is 74-75 AC.

Jeff already knew the volume I was working with and still recommended those pumps. So is it my fault or his? Thanks.

Yes I've been reading what you've wrote. The first two quotes contradict the last two (bolded and enlarged for you).

Have a nice day. :facepalm:

Good way for you two to get an informative thread locked.
Who cares? You don't agree with he pumps Jeff recommends and I respect that, the beauty of those skimmers is it's easy to swap out pumps. Problem solved and as you stated you are happy with the performance of the skimmer
And then the other guy says your house temp is too warm, and their might be truth to that too. However you live there, not us. You pay those bills, not us. You can continue to bash this and get it closed or we can drop it.

These obstacles you mention have relatively easy fixes. Cool the house, or swap the pumps. No need to bicker back and forth

:deadhorse1::deadhorse1:

Corey

corey, I'm just responding to my findings. Not even bashing.

I have not read the whole post and I am green as can be but could your equipment be reading the temperature wrong, have you tried plain old 1.99 thermometer, I know i bought two regular thermometers and one was off by several degrees.

I would tend to believe the room is too warm, and you need more airflow.

75 is quite warm for a room with a tank in it. I typically keep my
house at about 65-68 and I try to keep the humidity at about 40%

BTW: I run my tank at 82 and have even considered going a little warmer

Just joined...the Lifereef package came this week; sump, skimmer, refugium and calcium reactor. Just getting around to assembling the parts. The quality is impressive! I am in the process of version 2.0 for my 85 gallon mixed reef, moving away from Zeovit to more basic / natural filtration. The plan is to improve skimming, add a refugium and a frag tank.

Lifereef sump, skimmer, filter cylinders, float switch and pump.
IMG_1428.jpg

Upgraded to the removable skimmer top and large collection cup.
IMG_1431.jpg

Venturi has a green plug for cleaning.
IMG_1433.jpg

Very nice setup! I am considering something similar. How do you like it? Are you happy with the external pump? For some reason I like the idea of the external circulation pump. I feel like the extra filter area you get with the external pump is a good add. Would you go this way again? My sump is a bit limited but I think I could make it work. Do you think this is better than an internal pump?

Thanks!

Thanks "” By design, the sump is too small to house the pump. If a bigger pump is needed later, I did not want to be restricted by the sump size. I also want to keep the pump heat to a minimal, now moving from LED to metal halide lights. You can see with limited stand space, the extra area at the pump is nice for other equipment, like UV and doser.

IMG_5613_zpsmwcqscmu.jpg~original

The Lifereef system is not wet yet, but soon! I am still working on winding down Zeovit, moving to metal halide, and adding a frag tank & refugium in an adjacent room. I will post a rebuild shortly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks — By design, the sump is too small to house the pump. If a bigger pump is needed later, I did not want to be restricted by the sump size. I also want to keep the pump heat to a minimal, now moving from LED to metal halide lights. You can see with limited stand space, the extra area at the pump is nice for other equipment, like UV and doser.

The Lifereef system is not wet yet, but soon! I am still working on winding down Zeovit, moving to metal halide, and adding a frag tank & refugium in an adjacent room. I will post a rebuild shortly.

Why are you winding down Zeovit? How do you like that reactor? (Nice setup BTW!)

Thanks "” By design, the sump is too small to house the pump. If a bigger pump is needed later, I did not want to be restricted by the sump size. I also want to keep the pump heat to a minimal, now moving from LED to metal halide lights. You can see with limited stand space, the extra area at the pump is nice for other equipment, like UV and doser.

What all is behind the controllers? Just the excess cables? It looks super clean and something I might steal for my own setup so curious what you have behind those false walls...

Zeovit is not really compatible with a refugium. it works well for managing nutrients, but there's just way too much ongoing work involved, between daily dosing, changing stones, and its expensive! I can not imagine not having the Avast auto reactor for Zeo and having to shake stones twice a day!!

That's why I'm going Lifereef; the LF skimmer is much more efficient than mine. I'm going back to, what I think, are proven and simpler methods.

Zeovit is not really compatible with a refugium. it works well for managing nutrients, but there's just way too much ongoing work involved, between daily dosing, changing stones, and its expensive! I can not imagine not having the Avast auto reactor for Zeo and having to shake stones twice a day!!

That's why I'm going Lifereef; the LF skimmer is much more efficient than mine. I'm going back to, what I think, are proven and simpler methods.

Ok, makes sense. I am ordering a new LR sump and skimmer as well. I am also considering Zeovit but I am not going to use a Refugium. I may send you a PM. Good luck!

Back