The Life Reef Skimmer Club

I have read this thread and the more I read the more I think that the LR is the skimmer to go with. I am starting a build on a reefer 425XL.

Question, should I go with the SVS2-24 or the SVS3-24. The 425 will be the largest tank I can place in the allowed space my wife has given me.

Go with the SVS3-24. I have the SVS2 and with I got the SVS3. I like having my skimmer clean and I am not able to clean under the neck area. I know it is not necessary but I try to have a clean looking sump, not to mention you can ad extensions to it if you ever go with a bigger setup.

Thank you guys for the information. Do appreciate it. The added Mazzei Venturis, notice a difference? Noise level is important as well since the tank is in the family room.

Never had the mazzei, but the word of mouth here is that they aren't very beneficial unless you have a 36 or larger life reef model.

Thank you guys for the information. Do appreciate it. The added Mazzei Venturis, notice a difference? Noise level is important as well since the tank is in the family room.

Life reef is a bit noisy. Look up some vids on youtube. I made a silencer for mine. As for the Mazzei it made a world of difference in mine but I believe that it was due to a faulty stock ventury.

Life reef is a bit noisy. Look up some vids on youtube. I made a silencer for mine. As for the Mazzei it made a world of difference in mine but I believe that it was due to a faulty stock ventury.

I did see that on one of your videos, the pill bottle? I guess a little noise means it is working! I am pretty close to pulling the trigger and going with the mag 9.5. I have one in my mixing station that I am pleased with

Anyone have a problem with the acrylic cracking, breaking, around the discharge pipeinto the side of the skimmer?

I'd love some advice on my LifeReef.

VS2-24
Jebao DCT-4000
8" water level in skimmer section

It's been running for about two weeks now. I started off with the water level right at the "LifeReef" logo until I started seeing some foam being produces, then little by little over hours and days closed the gate valve to raise the foam break level to the top of the riser neck. I've got some sludge sticking to the neck and from time to time I'll have real wet skim that just about fills the collection cup. At which point, I'll open the gate valve a scosch to hopefully lower it a bit. I'm hopefully getting closer to producing a more uniform skim...

Can some of you more experienced LifeReefers take a look at the pics and tell me everything is good? It seems there aren't many bubbles in the main chamber, just the top few inches. Would a stronger pump make a difference?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
The 8000 and 6000 are within $2 of each other on Amazon. Would I benefit from getting the 8000, or would that be overkill on my 75 gal?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I might go with the 8000 and not run 100%. We already know 6000 is good on the 24 body, but it might be even better with ~6500..? This gives you some room to tweak it (with the 8000).

I still run 9000 on my 30, but feel like a little more might be better... Whenever the 9000 dies I'll get a slightly larger dc and go from there.

I'd love some advice on my LifeReef.

VS2-24
Jebao DCT-4000
8" water level in skimmer section

It's been running for about two weeks now. I started off with the water level right at the "LifeReef" logo until I started seeing some foam being produces, then little by little over hours and days closed the gate valve to raise the foam break level to the top of the riser neck. I've got some sludge sticking to the neck and from time to time I'll have real wet skim that just about fills the collection cup. At which point, I'll open the gate valve a scosch to hopefully lower it a bit. I'm hopefully getting closer to producing a more uniform skim...

Can some of you more experienced LifeReefers take a look at the pics and tell me everything is good? It seems there aren't many bubbles in the main chamber, just the top few inches. Would a stronger pump make a difference?

Thanks!

Here is a video of mine with the DCT 6000. I have my water level about 1/2" below where the body meets the neck and I run my 6000 at 80%. I think your skimmer is still breaking in and that you have the water level too high.

https://youtu.be/hHjf6lda3y8

https://youtu.be/ue2xBdipkfc

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is 6 days worth from my SVS3-36 powered by a vectra M1 running at speed 7. Pulling about 22 scfh.

IMG_1254.JPG

BTW, that is the large collection cup. It is a touch wet, but I like to run a medium dark skimmate. Overall I am pretty happy with it.

In another month or two, I will put the maezzi on to compare, but want to really get comfortable with the stock Venturi and what it can do first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need (I believe) 1150 gph through the skimmer. Not sure what the 4000 does gph wise. I'm running a panworld on my 36" skimmer and it's way underpowered.

I'm putting my Vectra L1 on the skimmer which will certainly increase my gph and skimming ability. As long as you are putting 1150+ through the skimmer, it's a beast. Looks like you might be a bit lite flow wise

I got the Jebao DCT-8000. It's a beast! Almost twice the size of the 4000 and loud when at full speed. I've got it dialed down to about 75% which is quieter for sure.

Time will tell now if it makes a difference. [emoji12]

I got the Jebao DCT-8000. It's a beast! Almost twice the size of the 4000 and loud when at full speed. I've got it dialed down to about 75% which is quieter for sure.

Time will tell now if it makes a difference. [emoji12]

Should get quieter once broken in. Around 75% should be good. Update this thread once you feel the pump is broken in :thumbsup:

Hi every one I have a few questions about a Lifereef Skimmer that I purchase a few months ago.
The skimmer is a VS3-48
I am trying to run it as a recirculating skimmer and I am not happy with it
I am wondering if I am using the wrong pump for recirculating the water.
I am using a waveline DC1200 at it lowest setting to feed water to the skimmer and a Syncra silent 4.0(951 Gph) sicce to recirculate the water (wide open)
Is been running like that for about 5 days and not producing anything
I will appreciate any suggestion
Thanks

The only Resson I am running it as a recirculating skimmer is because I was not getting good results
But it could be my pump

Back