The Life Reef Skimmer Club

Can I connect a long hose to run outside that connects to the Venturi to get fresh air for my low ph? Or do I need to keep that hose connected to the waste container and drill a new hole in the lid to run outside? I don't want an accidental overflow to go out the original hose connection on the top of the waste container. Do I need to use bigger hose for any air restriction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3f1aba00d0d8460f11ae939bf12e63f2.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

I took the air hose the one that runs to the venturi) out of the cup to increase my PH. My fishroom is in the garage. The PH increase was very very minamal. If you do pull that line out of the cup you will need to drip RO/DI water into it, so you keep the venturi clean. I placed a funnel in the top of the air hose and used a doesing pump to add the water. Programmed the pump to run 3 min , every hour.
I ran it that way for 2months, then switched back to stock and noticed the PH swing was not worth running the doesing pump and replenishing the RO/DI water reserve.

Isn't it just the air that's cleaning he Venturi? It pulling air from inside the cup isn't any different that out for cleaning, is it?

Isn't it just the air that's cleaning he Venturi? It pulling air from inside the cup isn't any different that out for cleaning, is it?

Its the very humid air that help reduce the salt creepy or other build up. Outside air would not be the same. Could just run some rodi through periodically. I run a cup of boiling rodi through about once a week myself.

Speaking of boiling...I just started up my new Lifereef skimmer. Is this normal?

https://youtu.be/3QQFVg0Npac

Looks about right but it's hard to see the bubble column. Mine is very turbulent but tons of bubbles. I to thought it was weird, recorded like you and sent it to Jeff. He loved how turbulent it was and said the more the better, causing more contact time. Id say I've had mine for atleast 6-8mths now, I love it.

How new is new? What pump?

Last edited:
Looks about right. How new is new? What pump?

It is the recommended Mag Drive 9.5. And by new, I meant it arrived Thursday, was unpacked and set up yesterday.

It's already calmed down a lot overnight, and appears to be normalizing. I didn't expect it to foam immediately, but that water action was not what I was expecting either. I'll update later tonight. Thanks!

It is the recommended Mag Drive 9.5. And by new, I meant it arrived Thursday, was unpacked and set up yesterday.

It's already calmed down a lot overnight, and appears to be normalizing. I didn't expect it to foam immediately, but that water action was not what I was expecting either. I'll update later tonight. Thanks!

I updated my last response, but I will rewrite some.

The more turbulent the better!

After reading so many good reviews about Lifereef skimmers, I am now considering one for my upcoming 200-250g build. The tank will be sps dominant with heavy bioload. Which skimmer and pump would you suggest?

I almost bought the Vertex Omega 150 for the crazy sale it is on right now, but bailed on it. Lifereef is the only skimmer brand where I basically never read anything bad. I really hate equipment that requires fidgeting. So, that said, I think I am just going to wait and save up to get a Lifereef and call it a day. The reviews/impressions for all other skimmers in the sub $500 range are all over the place.

After reading so many good reviews about Lifereef skimmers, I am now considering one for my upcoming 200-250g build. The tank will be sps dominant with heavy bioload. Which skimmer and pump would you suggest?

I'd go 48", 60" if you can fit it somewhere. Do you have room to run it external?

I seem to recall that Jeff recommends against leaving the tube open to drain the skimmer cup. Is that correct?

Maybe you can put the skimmer discharge tube into an otherwise closed container and just open the valve on occasion to drain the skimmer cup?

I'm pretty certain that suggestion doesn't help at all....

Can you guys explain this, please? I have my cup set up with an open drain tube to a container so I curious as to why this isn't ideal. No drain valve. It doesn't drain very quickly, granted, but still - I don't see how this would have any effect on skimmer performance except for an overflow issue (but that's a container issue, not a skimmer issue IMO).

I almost bought the Vertex Omega 150 for the crazy sale it is on right now, but bailed on it. Lifereef is the only skimmer brand where I basically never read anything bad. I really hate equipment that requires fidgeting. So, that said, I think I am just going to wait and save up to get a Lifereef and call it a day. The reviews/impressions for all other skimmers in the sub $500 range are all over the place.

I have both. The 150 is on a 50 gal that I planned to stock heavily, and I have a VS 24 on a 155 that's lightly stocked. The Omega required a lot of fidgeting to get correct but boy you could dial it in to the nth degree. LR doesn't have all the detail adjustments - doesn't need it. It just simply works and with minimal adjusting. I like that.

Can you guys explain this, please? I have my cup set up with an open drain tube to a container so I curious as to why this isn't ideal. No drain valve. It doesn't drain very quickly, granted, but still - I don't see how this would have any effect on skimmer performance except for an overflow issue (but that's a container issue, not a skimmer issue IMO).
Possibly because of occlusion due to solids building up? That tubing would be hard to clean out.

Because if the skimmer is not adjusted correctly, i.e. the cup is filling with water because the gate valve is closed too far, instead of filling the cup and blocking the CVC tube - hence stopping the skimmer from overflowing - all of that water just drains into your container.

If you don't catch it happening, your drain will continue to fill with tank water, and your ATO will fill your tank with fresh water, throwing off your salinity.

My guess is that once the skimmer is dialed in, this is a pretty low risk.

Hello Lifereef owners (which I hope to become soon as well). I was drawing my set-up in Sketchup and was wondering if someone would be willing to help with some detail measurements of their 30 or 36 skimmer? I want to model the skimmer out in 3D (I did everything else so figured why not) and would be glad to share the file once complete with anyone who may wish to use it.

Please shoot me a PM if you could help. Thanks

I received a Lifereef skimmer today but there were no instructions included. Is there anywhere I can download them online?

Back