The Life Reef Skimmer Club

Finally I should officially be part of this club!!! [emoji106]. Got my skimmer all plumbed and it's been running since Sunday. There wasn't much of a break in period persay, or my old skimmer just wasn't getting the job done...I've already emptied the cup twice on this new beast. Working on the third.
0a37e725877973a51c6e10229f963a84.jpg

What do you run for the pump?

I am getting one and it has the blueline 100, which uses a ton of electricity!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Life Reef Skimmer Club

I'm using an uno mag drive pump. Looks pretty much like an iwaki.
fa68fe7177f2440c4c661585ab2aee78.jpg
moves around 1500 gph. I also use 400 watt MH's so my electric usage is already up there. [emoji51][emoji482]

Just joined the LifeReef club with a third hand SVS2-24. Running it with a COR-15. Just got it plumbed and fired up!

Boozeman,
Any updates you care to share? For that matter anyone running a SVS2(3)-24 with a COR? My current skimmer on my new build is working, but to much fiddling and it's too sensitive to any changes. I have a call into Jeff for info.
I run a COR20 as my return, and have a brand new one in the box as a backup. I was thinking of using this on a new LR. Just not sure if I want the SVS2-24 or SVS3-24.
Another reason is I have always ran O3 on my systems. I haven't started yet on this new build. I did try, but can't run it thru my current skimmer. Not that I can't use O3 with it (I wouldn't have purchased it)but again, it's just two sensitive, and it also doesn't have enough force to draw air thru a dryer & generator.
So for those using O3, are you just pulling, or are you finding a need to add an air pump.
So it's either buy a new LR or keep my current skimmer and buy a dedicated O3 reactor.
FYI... not that I NEED O3, as my ORP ranges ~425-460 (UV sterilizer to thank for that) but I like to run one on occasion to "polish" the water.

I'm running a Cor 15 on my Life Reef. I honestly don't remember the model number since it is from 2000 but would guess the same has today's SVS2-24. Cor 15 is running 100%. I had it lower but have since let it run full - I don't see any reason why not to. Seems to be working great.

If you’re buying new, then I think it’s worth it the get the svs3 over the svs2. With the flanged and removable cylinder plate, it will allow you to fully clean the skimmer body when you do your scheduled maintenance. Also, if you decide to upgrade tanks, a simple body extension and a short length of pvc pipe and a coupler are all you need.

I'm running a Cor 15 on my Life Reef. I honestly don't remember the model number since it is from 2000 but would guess the same has today's SVS2-24. Cor 15 is running 100%. I had it lower but have since let it run full - I don't see any reason why not to. Seems to be working great.

Thanks for the feedback.
The COR20 I have should work good then.

If you're buying new, then I think it's worth it the get the svs3 over the svs2. With the flanged and removable cylinder plate, it will allow you to fully clean the skimmer body when you do your scheduled maintenance. Also, if you decide to upgrade tanks, a simple body extension and a short length of pvc pipe and a coupler are all you need.

Thanks, I'm leaning that way.

Just got off the phone...

55 minutes later....

BAM!!!

Trigger pulled!

Doing a little sump-'n special to match my sump. (See what I did there?)

Is it here yet?

If you're buying new, then I think it's worth it the get the svs3 over the svs2. With the flanged and removable cylinder plate, it will allow you to fully clean the skimmer body when you do your scheduled maintenance. Also, if you decide to upgrade tanks, a simple body extension and a short length of pvc pipe and a coupler are all you need.

I have to second and third this. I was just cleaning my old skimmer and continue to get frustrated by this. Interesting enough I had this skimmer stored for a long time since my 100 gallon crashed years ago due to vacation, no backup person, and California Enron politics. Anyway I moved stuff into some 29 gallon bio cubes and later upgraded them into a 40 breeder while I planned an upgrade.

First thing I did was pull the skimmer out and look it over. It was in great condition. So I called Jeff to talk about any changes and he said nope - just use it. He could have sold me a new one but no, said it is still great and little to no changes that would make a new one work better.

But we both agreed maintenance would be the main gain. I figured I'll wait a bit since I can deal with it for a while longer. But yes if buying new today, which it seems like you did, then factor that in.

Snip--->

But we both agreed maintenance would be the main gain. I figured I'll wait a bit since I can deal with it for a while longer. But yes if buying new today, which it seems like you did, then factor that in.

Yup I did! Brand spanking new SVS3-24! So new Jeff has to build it! He had (2) in stock, but anybody can buy off the rack! So I explained what I wanted and I gave him artistic freedom!
It will come with the O3 kit.

Hint...
It needs to match this!

2018060408301932-IMG_0401-S.jpg

2018060408301932-IMG_0402-S.jpg

This piece I made.

2018042714542032-IMG_0307-S.jpg

2018042714542032-IMG_0308-S.jpg

And the skimmer stand.

2018050413534400-IMG_0317-S.jpg

2018050413534400-IMG_0318-S.jpg

2018050413534400-IMG_0320-S.jpg

That looks nice. Great idea on the skimmer stand. That is something I've not seen before. Aren't you Mr. Creative!

Just got and set up my vs3-60 + 12 extension.

Using a jebao as feedpump (dct10000 at 18 watts) and using a BL100 for recirculating.

Currently pulling 2.5 amps for the pump.

Will try it this way, reduce flow, try bl40 to see if i can get similar performance with less electricity

a78ea551801343d89528887b3968de87.jpg

e9dd23957311c6ca713fb1ffe3a36e71.jpg

An hour after running

909143f81dfe05f3a268a3ad7d47ed2d.jpg

I've got a 24" Lifereef running on my 150g tank with a Jebao DC 9000 pump powering it. I'll be plumbing a frag tank into my system in the near future, that will add an additional 60g. Is the 24" going to be able to handle it?

I've got a 24" Lifereef running on my 150g tank with a Jebao DC 9000 pump powering it. I'll be plumbing a frag tank into my system in the near future, that will add an additional 60g. Is the 24" going to be able to handle it?

I have a 24" now on my 150G tank and it handles it without any issue. I running mine of a MAG 9 pump also. My tank is medium stocked with LPS/SPS.

I have a 24" now on my 150G tank and it handles it without any issue. I running mine of a MAG 9 pump also. My tank is medium stocked with LPS/SPS.

I have no worries about it handling the 150. But I am concerned about it handling the additional 60g frag tank.

Back