The Life Reef Skimmer Club

I have mine run outside through a sleeve in the basement wall. Don't know exactly how far but it's about 20 feet. No problem with the skimmer or need to add an air pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi All;
I had a LifeReef SVS2-24 skimmer for 5 or 6 years now. I recently got in line for a LifeReef CLF2 Sump build (looks like December). Any of you guys running the LifeReef sump with the media reactors? Are you using two pumps or one larger pump to run both the skimmer and media reactors? I'm planning on using one media reactor right now with carbon.
Any photo's how you have this plumbed would be great!
Thanks.....

Question for LR simmiker owners
I have an idea to put the skimmer + skimmer pump + return pump in the same chamber. The plan is to have more space for the refuge and that's why thought to ask if having the skimmer in same chamber as return pump, would that be an issue with the macro bubbles? I read few times that there is no marco bubbles issue with lifereef skimmers and based on that, would be there any other issue?

Thanks

I have never observed micro-bubbles associated with my LifeReef Skimmer. I'm not an expert on the topic of sumps and what will and won't work 100% of the time. The LifeReef Skimmer and other skimmers need to be at a stable water level to work properly. If you can achieve this stability with the return pump in the same section as the skimmer. Maybe it's worth trying, you certainly can move the return pump if it doesn't work. You only need to do a little re-plumbing, it's not the end of the world. Just a little more time and effort, maybe it's worth taking a shot.

I have never observed micro-bubbles associated with my LifeReef Skimmer. I'm not an expert on the topic of sumps and what will and won't work 100% of the time. The LifeReef Skimmer and other skimmers need to be at a stable water level to work properly. If you can achieve this stability with the return pump in the same section as the skimmer. Maybe it's worth trying, you certainly can move the return pump if it doesn't work. You only need to do a little re-plumbing, it's not the end of the world. Just a little more time and effort, maybe it's worth taking a shot.

yeah you made a good point about maintaining the water level in that section. I will check if there is a way to keep the water level steady as much as possible.

Worst case scenario, I added a baffle to the return pump to separate it

EKDq8cn

I think this could be accomplished.

There is a short break in period before you will stop seeing bubbles escaping the skimmer, but then it will be minimal. This can also depend on how large a pump you are using and any surface agitation that may take place at the skimmer outlet.

I have a 90 degree elbow on my outlet shooting the opposite direction of my return pump inlet towards the surface to try and direct as many stragglers as possible away from making it to the display.

Good point about adding an elbow or extension to the skimmer outlet. In my current set-up I have my LifeReef Skimmer without any elbows/extension. I'm getting my LifeReef sump soon and may need to add elbows/extension to the outlet.

I think this could be accomplished.

There is a short break in period before you will stop seeing bubbles escaping the skimmer, but then it will be minimal. This can also depend on how large a pump you are using and any surface agitation that may take place at the skimmer outlet.

I have a 90 degree elbow on my outlet shooting the opposite direction of my return pump inlet towards the surface to try and direct as many stragglers as possible away from making it to the display.

That's what I had in mind also and Jeff already sent with the skimmer a 90 degree hose connector so I think I can use to direct the water in the opposite direction. Thanks for the feedback.

One more question, Is it possible to add a 90 elbow to the outlet pointing upward and add like 10 cm pipe then another elbow to go over the baffle and let the water go back to the refuge so in this case, the water from the outlet will not be near the return pump at all.
I think this is not possible since water will go higher than the max water level for the skimmer which is 9 inches I think.

Salahunreal, not sure about trying to "lift" water with the Skimmer outlet pressure. I've never heard of anyone doing that or asking about the possibility. You could try it, it's only a little extra "temporary" plumbing. A few pieces of tubing, a PVC fitting or two and see what happens. Might surprise yourself :D

I just got my LifeReef CLF2 Sump yesterday. I'll get it on-line in the next few weeks, I can't wait. Looks great by the way, my order got moved up a few weeks so very happy.

Salahunreal, not sure about trying to "lift" water with the Skimmer outlet pressure. I've never heard of anyone doing that or asking about the possibility. You could try it, it's only a little extra "temporary" plumbing. A few pieces of tubing, a PVC fitting or two and see what happens. Might surprise yourself :D

LOL, I kinda felt it was a stupid question as in theory, the water will go higher than the water column inside the skimmer so properly it will overflow I guess.

Congras on your sump. I wished if I could get one but shipping and taxes will be twice the price of the sump.
Enjoy and share some pics later on when you can.

No problem, I've asked plenty of dumb questions in my life. Your question I thought showed a lot of creativity. :dance:
Ya those sumps are pricy, shipping even here in the U.S. is expensive..... But what hobby is cheap.
Take care!

Thinking this through... do you think the head pressure pushing up and over a baffle could affect skimmer performance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well we don't know the height of the baffle. This seems to be a trial and error project to me. I've never heard of anyone trying to lift water vertically in any elevation from a Skimmer. A short term test wouldn't hurt anything other than a little time and some spare parts.

Back