The Life Reef Skimmer Club

don't sell it when you can buy a few parts here and there for less than 300 bucks.

put this into perspective, I spent close to 2000 for my lifereef sump/skimmer/refugium set up.

I've seen a number of comments about adding a valve to the air inlet tube? What is the purpose of doing that?

I've been getting off yellow colored skimmate but have not yet gotten consistently dark skimmate yet. Would reducing the air intake a little help?

When adjusting the output I either get really wet skimmate (the off yellow) or the bubble column is not high enough to get into the cup.

I've seen a number of comments about adding a valve to the air inlet tube? What is the purpose of doing that?

I've been getting off yellow colored skimmate but have not yet gotten consistently dark skimmate yet. Would reducing the air intake a little help?

When adjusting the output I either get really wet skimmate (the off yellow) or the bubble column is not high enough to get into the cup.

Did I kill the thread? Lol - 2000 comments and my comment killed the thread?

What pump are you running? What body?

These skimmers seem to run best at 19-22 SCFH, and a needle air valve is used to lower the SCFH value into that 19-22 range. Iirc the people using needle valves are running larger external pumps (could be wrong there)?

I use a needle valve because I run the Panworld 100PX which is a higher pressure rated pump. Pulls a lot of air through the injector. The Panworld 100PX-X is a higher flow rated pump but not as pressure rated. I actually have to open my gate valve more when running the 100PX even though the rated flow is less than the 100PX-X.

What pump are you running? What body?

These skimmers seem to run best at 19-22 SCFH, and a needle air valve is used to lower the SCFH value into that 19-22 range. Iirc the people using needle valves are running larger external pumps (could be wrong there)?

I'm running the SVS 30 with a Mag Drive 18.

Such a BIG thread & I have not checked all, but is anyone using the Hang On Back (HOB) skimmer?

The LifeReef HOB skimmer is the same as the standard skimmer. Jeff just makes a bracket so that the skimmer will fit on the side of your tank. It uses the same Mag9 pump as well.

Using the air needle valve because I am running a high pressure rated pump. Actually these skimmers run good up to 26scfh. Mine is between 24 & 26.

There were comments about adding an air intake silencer like those used with needle wheel skimmers. I tried one from my SRO and it was louder than attaching the air intake tube with the skimmer cup.

It's just a loud venturi, especially as you push a lot of flow through it increasing the amount of air draw. I think it performs better with more flow so the increased sound is an unfortunate side effect.

I am not hearing the air noise like some others. When the lid is removed I can hear it but with the lid on very quiet and I am pushing above average air and water flow through my Mazzei.

Has anone tried running outside air into their LifeReef Skimmer, I have the 24 inch model. I'm trying to raise my reef tanks PH a bit, I understand that by using outside air for the skimmer it may raise the PH. Has anyone tried this with the LifeReef Skimmer? How/where did you connect the air line to the skimmer.

Using the air needle valve because I am running a high pressure rated pump. Actually these skimmers run good up to 26scfh. Mine is between 24 & 26.
How are you measuring the air flow? Using what gauge? My skimmer seems to run great sometimes. A consistent foam output. Then seems to bog down. Them it seems like the foam head is so thick it has trouble pushing it up and into cup. Then I'll adjust Gate valve. Gets better. Then same problem. Adjust again. Will repeat until skimmer overflows. Will clean everything then repeat the same process all over again. Maybe knowing what airflow is when running the best will help. I'm running svs-24 with mag 12.

Has anone tried running outside air into their LifeReef Skimmer, I have the 24 inch model. I'm trying to raise my reef tanks PH a bit, I understand that by using outside air for the skimmer it may raise the PH. Has anyone tried this with the LifeReef Skimmer? How/where did you connect the air line to the skimmer.

I just hooked mine up this way, I run two air lines one In and one out (for the smell)

The air out comes from the collection cup

The Air in goes to the Venturi Input, But I put a T in line than pushed a 1/4 inch hose into
one leg of the T and put it somewhere to draw in moist air so the Venturi does not clog.

I also added a tee to the line. One end goes to the collection cup the other goes to my CO2 scrubber. Works well, too well in fact and I have a screw clamp on the scrubber line to restrict the flow.

I also added a tee to the line. One end goes to the collection cup the other goes to my CO2 scrubber. Works well, too well in fact and I have a screw clamp on the scrubber line to restrict the flow.

On my skimmer output I have a T to reduce the noise
One end drops to the water and the other goes up to a cap with
holes drilled in it. I take my moist air from that cap on the pipe.

I also put a valve on the line on the inside air intake so it would
draw more outside air. In hindsight I should have used much
larger tubing to bring in the outside air (I used 3/8 ID tubing).

I've just started running a lifereef VS3-72 skimmer and upgraded 8" collection cup, supplied by a Jebau Jecod DCT 15000 pump and Mazzei venturi.

How does this look for it's first 24 hours of running on a new 3500 litre marine system?

Back