The Life Reef Skimmer Club

I've finally got around to getting my aquarium and VS3-72 skimmer up and running, it's got the upgrade option 8" collection cup, Mazzei 978-2 venturi and is being supplied by a Jebau Jecod 15000 pump which gives 8000LPH (approx 2000GPH) at 2m (approx 6 feet) head.

I have an issue with the collection cup lid being lifted by foam and foam slowly spilling out, please see the photo below.

I have the water level set around 1/2" below the start of the 3" diameter neck.

Am I right in thinking I need to reduce the water level in the skimmer body to prevent this happening?

My lid is a bit of a tight fit. Make sure it's on properly.

As others have said, drop the Venturi intake into some warm RODI water with the skimmer on. This will clean out the Venturi.

anyone tried the vectra L1 on the skimmer? would it be too much for my 36 inch model?

If so, or either way, id like to use the pump to also push my flow through cylinders and uv filter. Is there an issue doing that with the skimmer?

I hooked my 36 inch skimmer up to my 100 gallon tub using my giant blueline 70 pump. its doing a great job taking out any gunk that might be in there. That pump has a ton of pressure so im assuming the L1 would be fine with it. Ill be a little sad when I get my blueline pumps sold but I really want to use the vectras and reef link

Skimmer has been running for 11 days.

First I had the venturi plumbed in to the upper port on the collection cup, but it drew foam and skimmate sludge into the venturi airline. A few days ago i plugged the upper port and had the venturi airline drawing air from the room not the cup, then the foam started to spill out.

But surely drawing in foam/skimmate lumps cannot be good for the venturi.

I'm wondering if it just needs some time to settle down. Maybe it is just doing a better job than your last skimmer?

What about raising the water level in the main chamber a little bit? That should make the skimmate a bit wetter and you won't have the foam issues.

anyone tried the vectra L1 on the skimmer? would it be too much for my 36 inch model?

If so, or either way, id like to use the pump to also push my flow through cylinders and uv filter. Is there an issue doing that with the skimmer?

I hooked my 36 inch skimmer up to my 100 gallon tub using my giant blueline 70 pump. its doing a great job taking out any gunk that might be in there. That pump has a ton of pressure so im assuming the L1 would be fine with it. Ill be a little sad when I get my blueline pumps sold but I really want to use the vectras and reef link

Johnseye is running a Vectra, but, I believe, a different model. Check several pages back.

I'm sending a dc9000 6/6 (2377 gph) through a 30" body. I think a 36" body would be okay for the L1 (3100 gph).

I'm not a fan of manifolds and skimmers. Too much that can go wrong and effect performance.

I'm sending a dc9000 6/6 (2377 gph) through a 30" body. I think a 36" body would be okay for the L1 (3100 gph).

I'm not a fan of manifolds and skimmers. Too much that can go wrong and effect performance.

Well... I have my main return, my 36 inch lifereef skimmer, 3 flow though canisters on one manifold and a uv light.

Ideally my return is alone so I can set it to the max of my overflows and not worry about changes in head pressure.

From what you and others are saying, ideally have my skimmer be alone so its not effected...

Id like to have the pumps for backup purposes. So if my main ever dies I can at least swap them easily with the same fittings.

Im tempted to buy 3 M1s... its enough power for the return and overkill on the canisters in UV (though since its DC can easily be turned down), and its a good amount for my skimmer though more is always better...

It sounds like a great idea but 350 is a lot for a uv pump or a skimmer pump...

Overflowing collection cup, but because it is being pushed by an over rated pump?

One of my questions to LifeReef skimmer owners was going to be if the skimmer ever goes nuts & over skims?

Sometimes when I add a new filter sock or if something dies, then my SWC can overskim, the friggin Reef Octopus always seems to do that & is so darnn tempermental, but my Deltec AP600 rarely did it. Does this happen with LifeReef skimmers?

Overflowing collection cup, but because it is being pushed by an over rated pump?

One of my questions to LifeReef skimmer owners was going to be if the skimmer ever goes nuts & over skims?

Sometimes when I add a new filter sock or if something dies, then my SWC can overskim, the friggin Reef Octopus always seems to do that & is so darnn tempermental, but my Deltec AP600 rarely did it. Does this happen with LifeReef skimmers?
My will do that sometimes. I try and clean the neck of it out so I don't have to remove the cup. If I get some of the waste from the neck fall into the body it will go nuts for a day or so. But that's my fault. The skimmer is just doing what it's supposed to do. But I get so much cruddy built up in the neck after a while. Was thinking of doing one of the swabbie's.

I've had the cup on my 30" overfill from time to time too. It's pretty infrequent, and I've always attributed it to something spawning in the tank, because when it happens the quality of the foam really changes from the usual.

I get the build up in neck also over time, wish it would go into cup better. Only solutions I can think of would be to skim wetter or something like a Swabbie. Maybe Jeff has a solution?

Mine never overflows. Very easy to dial in and keep there. My pump is overrated.

My SRO was terrible at this. Everything would set it off.

How big of pump can I go up too on a 36 inch? I want as much skimming as possible without turning the pump down. Basically deciding between the ecotech vectors m1 or L1. I was using the blueline 30hdx from Jeff, worked great. Now I have the blueline 70hd. Still can run at full speed with it and that's a lot of head pressure.

How big of pump can I go up too on a 36 inch? I want as much skimming as possible without turning the pump down. Basically deciding between the ecotech vectors m1 or L1. I was using the blueline 30hdx from Jeff, worked great. Now I have the blueline 70hd. Still can run at full speed with it and that's a lot of head pressure.

I run the 26 with an M1 at full speed. I ran it at 60% for a while and think it performs better at 100%. I can't vouch for the 36 and L1.

You're always the one that answers and my entire baseline on the pump :). I'm assuming it'll have no issues with either just trying to figure out the budget because I want to get three of them. I read you shouldn't split off the pump on a skimmer. Does that apply to lifereefs? Or mainly just recirculating ones

Just joined...the Lifereef package came this week; sump, skimmer, refugium and calcium reactor. Just getting around to assembling the parts. The quality is impressive! I am in the process of version 2.0 for my 85 gallon mixed reef, moving away from Zeovit to more basic / natural filtration. The plan is to improve skimming, add a refugium and a frag tank.

Lifereef sump, skimmer, filter cylinders, float switch and pump.
IMG_1428.jpg

Upgraded to the removable skimmer top and large collection cup.
IMG_1431.jpg

Venturi has a green plug for cleaning.
IMG_1433.jpg

Welcome to the club! Great looking system!

Something that caught my eye...so Jeff is making float switches again? He hasn't made those in years. I need a new one!

Question, if you didn't want to put this under your tank, its just one line out from the tank and one line in riggt? And does it matter if its lower than the tank or can it be at same level or for argument sake higher? Thanks tony

Welcome to the club! Great looking system!

Something that caught my eye...so Jeff is making float switches again? He hasn't made those in years. I need a new one!

The float switch is from a local reefer who had it for years, but never used it. It's a rare find!

Back