The Life Reef Skimmer Club

CO2 scrubber

CO2 scrubber

Hello does anybody have a CO2 scrubber connected to their Lifereef Skimmer? If so would you mind sharing details? And some price too? TIA.

Hello does anybody have a CO2 scrubber connected to their Lifereef Skimmer? If so would you mind sharing details? And some price too? TIA.

If I had just read Jeff's instructions I would have needed to ask

"CO2 SCRUBBER An alternative to the above is to use a CO2 Scrubber. To use a CO2 Scrubber with your Lifereef protein skimmer is easy: Insert the scrubber between the collection cup venturi hose and the venturi intake. Run the collection cup hose from the upper fitting to your scrubber, then the scrubber outlet hose to the venturi air suction port. Your CO2 scrubber will now be getting moist air which CO2 Scrubbers require. NOTE: Place the output fitting/hose of the scrubber above the collection cup, or as high as possible, to prevent water from backing up inside the reactor."

tried it, but media kept getting too wet and clogged the venturi. So i set up an air pump pulling outside air and tee'd into line from cup to venturi. otherwise i would use an air pump pushing air thru scrubber into tee between cup and venturi line.

Well, I pulled the trigger on a LifeReef yesterday!!!! I stumbled across LifeReef products last week, spent all weekend reading threads and researching. I spoke with Jeff yesterday on the phone for like 2 hours. I ended up going with the SVS3-36 with the Mag18. He said it'll be a couple of weeks until he gets it made. I can't wait!!! This is going on my 210g display with a 180g sump in my basement. Haven't decided if I am going internal or external yet, as my sump is off of the floor in the basement. If I remember correctly the top of my sump is at 54", so I'll have to put the skimmer on a stand of some sort if I do external. I did not get the Mazzei Venturi, Jeff said to try it for a few months and then see how I like the performance and then possibly get the Mazzei. Additionally, we spoke about my plan to upgrade my reef system in the next year where I'll be adding 600g of system volume, so at that time I'll be calling him back and getting an extension to turn it into a 48" skimmer.

-Blair

Get a DC controllable pump to fine tune the performance especially the water height. I have a Jebao DCP10000, but you might need a more powerful pump for the 36"

Quick question. Sorry if this has been covered already. If I run ozone with a desiccant air dryer into my lifereef skimmer will it raise ph? If not can co2 media be added? Perhaps a second reactor. Also do I need carbon off the exhaust? Note:simplicity is the goal.

I have a lifereef sump and refugium. I noticed that after I had a small leak from my tubing cause the clamp needed to be replaced. that how I originally had the return pump I had microbubbles from the emergency drain from the refugium. I repositioned it today so it would fit better in my sump and looks nicer. my problem now i s I have major microbubbles. which bothers me alot. how can I modify the emergency overflow to the refugium so that I get no microbubbles. I though maybe some plastic tubing or modify it with PVC. suggestions please?

Question ... what are the cons for my Lifereef siting in 10" of water..spa e constraints are the limiting factors for raising the skimmer and sump design wont let me lower the water in that chamber

just out of curiosity. has anyone converted their lifereef internal skimmer to be external. would like to see pictures of it if you have.

This is from 12 years ago on an old system but I actually ran it this way from the get go. Ive also used the hang on bracket years before that which worked just fine.

Attachments

• Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 10
Just ordered the 30" dual Mazzei skimmer to replace my Bubble King... I've had Lifereef skimmers in the past and can't wait to put this bad boy on my tank.

Just ordered the 30" dual Mazzei skimmer to replace my Bubble King... I've had Lifereef skimmers in the past and can't wait to put this bad boy on my tank.

I put the dual Mazzei Lifereef skimmer into service a while back. It replaced a single Mazzei 30" Lifereef.

I love the dual Mazzei design, it rocks. If it were easier to post pictures on this forum, I would. Suffice to say it produces large quantities of nasty nog.

I moved my lifereef skimmer to a new tank. No longer using the lifereefsump and fuge. Instead I got a advanced acrylic sump. I'm running into microbubbles. I changed the skimmer from the second chamber to the first chamber. No difference at all. So I moved the return water away from the second chamber tried different positions and still no results. I'm thinking trying a different skimmer. And also the lid is like a suction cup a really hard to get open now.

If you convert it to recirculating you will probably have much less or none air bubbles going out of skimmer (less of water flow) and better performance but that is harder to notice.
If you decide to go that route try to feed it from tank return.
-acrylic is pretty easy to drill just use new/sharp tool and slow speed

Last edited:
I have a question. I’m running a 24” lifereef skimmer powered by a Maxspect jump 10k which has a max output of 2642 gallons per hour. If I run this at full speed am I reducing the performance of the skimmer? I am using it along with a co2 scrubber so I figured more flow means more air. Would too much flow reduce air intake?

I think you’ll be fine at least trying. It’s a DC pump so head pressure is probably lower than an AC pump pushing that much volume. You always have the option of dialing the pump back if it proves to me too much flow.

Back