The most special angel I've ever received?

Copps, amazing thread...I remember that fish and the thread...thank you for doing what you do...and for teaching me so much...you too, Luiz....will we be able find and read your paper online?

Copps, amazing thread...I remember that fish and the thread...thank you for doing what you do...and for teaching me so much...you too, Luiz....will we be able find and read your paper online?

You know it's funny... I grew up on an island on a lake in New Jersey... and my mother was allergic to everything with fur and feathers... so naturally I was into fish for as long as I could remember... I remember reading books on fish when I was very young and I always came up with questions... I figured everything had been answered, it was just a matter of meeting the right people... the world experts... old salts like Jack Randall or Gerry Allen... as I got older and had the opportunity to meet people like this I realized something... there are many things that even they don't know about these fish... that no one knows... but the answers are out there... we must first ask the right questions... any of us as even home aquarists can do it! If the answers are not there... go get them! Chip away at what we don't know...Rather than take it from me I'll again quote the great Charles Darwin...

"doing what little one can to increase the general stock of knowledge is as respectable an object of life, as one can in any likelihood pursue"

The number of unanswered questions when it comes to so many of these reef fish we admire is staggering...:rollface: I've got enough of them to keep the next generation of great ichthyologists like Luiz busy for a while! :) If Charles Darwin could see the tools we have at our disposal nowadays he'd roll over in his grave... and while these tools include many of the modern scientific devices you'd expect, one tool you may not realize is the aquarium industry! We essentially have teams of specimen collectors around the globe... another thing Darwin would envy!

Oh, and by the way... Luiz rocks! Luiz has the unique combination of old school scientific knowledge, new school state of the art scientific knowledge, genuine enthusiasm... and the man knows his fish... I know a lot of people and this is as rare as this hybird... and on top of it all he is just a super cool and nice guy... we should be thankful he's here on RC...

In regards to the paper... let's not count our chickens... I'll update all here when it is published, which is still a ways out...

Copps

Last edited:
I grew-up close to you and while my mom wasn't allergic, she just didn't want fur or feathers in her house...will never forget the first time I saw a huma in a fish tank in 83...followed by a tank full of baby clown trigs...got my first tank in 84...am obsessed with triggers and moved to Kauai, Hawaii after college so I could dive all the time....foolishly, I never thought about doing it for a profession...biggest regret of my life...thanks again to you and Luiz for the knowledge, advice, and awesome pics you post....especially love all the morph and aberrent fish pics you post...

Some amazing info ! love reading your threads and even your TOTM articles are my guide lol looking forward to the article.

if this is off topic, please ignore it , but what methods do you use to lower nipping of angels on SPS/LPS corals ? if any ?

thanks again for the great info.

I (Mike) do most of the posting but it was my wife who got me into the hobby so I give her a lot of credit. She was the one who also said "For valentines day either buy me jewelry or buy me this false shepardi and got me hooked on hybrids. Here are some ok pictures of how he is doing:
DSC_1049.jpg

DSC_1043.jpg

bit of a hijack but since on the topic of rare hybrids - this is available in aus ATM
Chaetodontoplus conspicillatus x Chaetodontoplus Personifer hybrid.
conspic.jpg

if it was avaialbe 1 month ago it would be in my QT now :debi:

I grew-up close to you and while my mom wasn't allergic, she just didn't want fur or feathers in her house...will never forget the first time I saw a huma in a fish tank in 83...followed by a tank full of baby clown trigs...got my first tank in 84...am obsessed with triggers and moved to Kauai, Hawaii after college so I could dive all the time....foolishly, I never thought about doing it for a profession...biggest regret of my life...thanks again to you and Luiz for the knowledge, advice, and awesome pics you post....especially love all the morph and aberrent fish pics you post...

Thank you! Where did you grow up? Kauai is a beautiful island... my wife and I did a vacation there and stayed in Poipu... covered everywhere on the island... so green... so grown in... and so old looking... it's weird seeing rivers that large in Hawaii! I did a bunch of diving and even made it out to Niihau...

We have similar memories from the 80s... my mother would literally drop me off at the fish store and then go do her shopping. As soon as I got working papers in high school I began working at a LFS. I remember getting my first paycheck and thinking..."Are you kidding? I'm getting paid for this!?":spin3:

Some amazing info ! love reading your threads and even your TOTM articles are my guide lol looking forward to the article.

if this is off topic, please ignore it , but what methods do you use to lower nipping of angels on SPS/LPS corals ? if any ?

thanks again for the great info.

This is a pretty complex issue... I do an entire one hour Powerpoint presentation on angelfish in reef aquaria that I put together for MACNA a few years ago... but, if I could tell you just one sentence it would be to keep your corals healthy. There is something that I call the "Pleco Effect"... in Jersey working at that LFS you'd be amazed how many people would come in and say that their pleco (the freshwater suckerfish) killed their fish... I'd explain that to them that no, the pleco didn't... your fish was dead or dieing and the pleco was opportunistically taking advantage of it. THIS IS AMAZINGLY COMMON WHEN IT COMES TO ANGELS PICKING ON CORALS... yet it is so often overlooked. People in this hobby always want the easy and quantifiable answer... they see the flame angel they've had for years start nailing one of their sps colonies and blame the angel... when in reality it's the coral going downhill... one of the toughest things to do in this hobby STILL is to keep a successful sps system LONG TERM. Wtaer quality is so misunderstood and goes well beyond what our test kits tell us... that sums it up basically... not to get off topic... :)

I would love to see pictures of your tanks and the rest of your Angeles, how do you keep them from fighting

There are many here...
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/76-tank-of-the-month

As to keeping them from fighting... that is another simple question with a complex answer... to sum it up I always say "It's not WHAT you mix... but HOW you mix."

I (Mike) do most of the posting but it was my wife who got me into the hobby so I give her a lot of credit. She was the one who also said "For valentines day either buy me jewelry or buy me this false shepardi and got me hooked on hybrids. Here are some ok pictures of how he is doing:
DSC_1049.jpg

DSC_1043.jpg

Wow Mike... if my wife ever requested a new fish for Valentine's Day or uttered the words "false shepardi" I'd take her directly to the hospital for fear of the beginning stages of an aneurysm or stroke! You are very lucky to share that passion... or maybe unlucky... if my wife had my passion we'd be living underwater...

The hybrid looks great... and very similar to mine... very cool!

bit of a hijack but since on the topic of rare hybrids - this is available in aus ATM
Chaetodontoplus conspicillatus x Chaetodontoplus Personifer hybrid.
conspic.jpg

if it was avaialbe 1 month ago it would be in my QT now :debi:

Well wow, what a specimen! I love that hybrid... and to see it so small in such good shape! Wicked! By the way that's actually a C. conspicillatus/ C. meredithi hybrid...

Copps

I have a moorish Idol and a couple of angels in my reef [sps] tank. but mine pick on the healthiest of the corals ... which is good for me ... as those are the corals with most growth, so I do not mind the occasional nipping ... I run Zeovit, which keeps water quality top notch. was looking to see if you have certain methods, to meet their NEED of nipping in another way ...

agreed with your comment on SPS being hard to keep, now add a HIGH bioload and some nippers, and it gets even more exciting :) which is what the hobby i about anyways .

hopefully you would release that presentation of yours to public soon ? :p lol

Copps, I grew-up in Westechester, NY...I lived in Lihue on Kauai but dove all over...it was just off Poipu where we were attacked by the massive Titan trigger...went back everyday to visit that monster!! foolishly, I never realized or thought my obsession could lead to a full-time job...as I mentioned, this is the biggest regret of my life...

I have a moorish Idol and a couple of angels in my reef [sps] tank. but mine pick on the healthiest of the corals ... which is good for me ... as those are the corals with most growth, so I do not mind the occasional nipping ... I run Zeovit, which keeps water quality top notch. was looking to see if you have certain methods, to meet their NEED of nipping in another way ...

agreed with your comment on SPS being hard to keep, now add a HIGH bioload and some nippers, and it gets even more exciting :) which is what the hobby i about anyways .

hopefully you would release that presentation of yours to public soon ? :p lol

yes... picking is natural... much of the daytime polyp extension we see in some reef tanks is unnatural, and so when some people add a dwarf angel that will pick on an sps colony enough to have it retract its polyps they think it's an issue... when it is not...

I agree with your second paragraph... and in regards to your third it is... just have your club bring me up to Toronto and I'll show it to you! :)

Copps, I grew-up in Westechester, NY...I lived in Lihue on Kauai but dove all over...it was just off Poipu where we were attacked by the massive Titan trigger...went back everyday to visit that monster!! foolishly, I never realized or thought my obsession could lead to a full-time job...as I mentioned, this is the biggest regret of my life...

Which profession?

Copps

John,

Great post. I had a lot of requests for this fish and some BIG money offered. It's not always about the money, you were indeed the right person to receive this fish. Way to go my friend!!!

Brian Griffin

Last edited:
I love the pictures in the link you posted. In my short time in the hobby Angeles have quickly became my favorite. I only have one at this time, it is a coral beauty and have had it for about 8 months now I would like to add two more. The next one I would like to get is a potters do you see any issues with this combination

I only have one at this time, it is a coral beauty and have had it for about 8 months now I would like to add two more. The next one I would like to get is a potters do you see any issues with this combination
might be better to temporarily remove coral beauty, and re-add it when you add the new angel.
IMO, the potters is not a good choice...they are often difficult to keep.

Back