The most special angel I've ever received?

copps

Premium Member
Okay guys, so as the saying goes unless you've been living under a rock, anyone who's been in the Reef Fishes forum with any frequency knows I've been an angelfish nut for just about all of my 34 years"¦ I own over 40 angels, many considered rare, and I think I have what is most likely the most special I've ever owned in my life"¦ They just do not get more exciting than this fish!!!

In the past few years there have been a number of very exciting Centropyge hybrids being exported out of Cebu in the Philippines. If you'd like to read the story of the most well known one, refer to my thread from a couple of years ago here that documents flame/ rusty hybrids"¦ I'll soon be publishing a scientific article on these fish along with Luiz Rocha and some others and will go into much more detail then, but suffice it to say that there will be no arguing these fish are not hybrids"¦

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1702055

But, that is not the hybrid I want to talk about today. Back in May I received photos and word of an interesting fish that was exported out of Cebu directly to a shop in New Jersey (my home state!) called Ocean Gallery II. I also noticed this RC thread"¦

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2022916

I knew immediately this fish was special. When identifying interesting fish like this that perhaps have genetic input from different species, one of the first things I do is find the origin of the fish. Knowing where the fish was exported from will usually tell you a general region it was collected if you know the industry well, and narrow down the possibilities. Whatever it is has to be geographically possible. Also, after seeing so many fish through the years many times you just get an inkling, even if the fish you are seeing has never been seen or documented before. Such was the case with this very special fish"¦ the moment I saw it I though it was a Centropyge multicolor/ferrugata hybrid (a multicolor/rusty hybrid). WOW WOW WOW WOW!!! I was as excited as I was when I was five or six years old going through the shops with my father.

But, there was a catch"¦ Rusty angels are a Western Pacific fish common throughout the Philippines"¦ input from ferrugata made sense of course"¦ but multicolor"¦ hmm"¦ not documented from the Philippines. But, that did not mean it was not possible. While Centropyge multicolor is a Central Pacific species, so is Centropyge loriculus (the flame angel), and yet flames made the jump to the same area this fish was collected, resulting in the hybrid I address in the thread above. Centropyge multicolor's westernmost documented range, and thus closest to the Philippines, are the beautiful Islands of Palau. Making the extra jump to the Philippines would not be out of the question"¦ so the detective work began.

I contacted Ocean Gallery and got better photos of the fish. The manager, Brian Griffin, is not your average LFS guy and knows the industry well, and was tremendously helpful. He did not know what it was, but knew enough to know it was different. As it turned out Brian had seen me speak at MACNA in Atlantic City a couple of years ago and agreed to send me the fish. I asked if he'd ever received Centropyge multicolor from this exporter before, and he'd thought he had. Later on he got back to me and seen that he had, despite them never being documented from PI before. This is not out the question and is actually VERY common. Many of the expanded ranges of reef fish species nowadays come from the aquarium industry. Well, it turns out that the region this fish was collected in the Philippines actually does have a population of Centropyge multicolor! That is HUGE news! Of course, as with almost everywhere else in PI, rusties are also found there.

While rusty and flame angels are very closely related, multicolors are not. That, combined with the fact that this is the only hybrid like this I've ever seen, leads me to believe this is a result of "œaccidental hybridization", where the sperm of one species fertilized the egg of another while two harems were spawning near each other. With the flame and rusties I theorize that the lone flame angel, rare in PI, forms harems with the common rusty and spawn. The numbers of these hybrids in the area support that theory, along with other evidence we'll publish in the paper. Accidental hybrids are extremely rare for obvious reasons"¦

So, without further adieu, here are some photos. My apologies for the quality, but my old Nikon D80 DSLR went bad and I am in the process of getting a new one, so these were taken with my wife's point and shoot. I did not want to add additional stress to this fish by giving it my normal photo shoot in the specimen container with my now famous car key shot. :D This fish was very small when I got it"¦ maybe 1 ¼" or so. The pics are a few months old now and the fish has been through a couple of months of QT and is now in my subtropical tank. I'll get updated shots soon.
So, I've had some special fish"¦ some based on just a few specimens, but never a one of a kind!
multicolor_ferrugata_hybrid10.jpg

multicolor_ferrugata_hybrid9.jpg

multicolor_ferrugata_hybrid7.jpg

multicolor_ferrugata_hybrid5.jpg

multicolor_ferrugata_hybrid2.jpg

Ironically, this fish looks very similar to the very rare Centropyge debelius"¦ but this species is found far away from Philippines in the Western Indian Ocean"¦ yet that might not be just a coincidence, although I feel this fish has no direct relation to Centropyge debelius. This is a shot of the pair of debelius I owned years ago"¦
debelius_pair.jpg

Anyway, this little guy has settled well into his subtropical home"¦ I simultaneously added it on the same day with another very special hybrid Centropyge from Hawaii"¦ a Centropyge fisheri/potteri hybrid. This one is just one of three documented of these hybrids, with the second one being in my freezer! This is most likely another "œaccidental hybrid", and is to this day the only documented hybrid between the three subgenera of Centropyge"¦
fisheri_potteri_hybrid4.jpg

fisheri_potteri_hybrid5.jpg

fisheri_potteri_hybrid6.jpg

The two get along fine, and have darkened up under the bright lighting as expected, grown, and settled in well. Again, many thanks to Brian from Ocean Gallery II.

Copps

Congrats John. I absolutely love your enthusiasm in these fish. You are a true inspiration to this hobby and I can't wait to finally meet you.
Keep up the great work and keep us up to date on these beautiful angels.

Thanks so much Brad. Almost as great as my passion for these fish is the enjoyment I get sharing my stories and photos with friends.

I look forward to taking my first ever trip to Utah in December to speak for your club!

You know the rest of us angelfish nuts/"nerds" just have to read a post like this when we see Special Angel with your name attached to the post, John.
That is a very beautiful fish, I must say. You know that I'm not that a big a fan of hybrids, but some of these natural occuring ones are just breathtaking!

Sincerely,
Matthew

You continue to make me jealous everytime I read your post John. Another beautiful specimen. Very cool how these fish come to be. Thanks for always being willing to share all the great pics and info so we can all share some of your excitement. The more guys like you in this hobby the more fun we can all have.:beer:

Wow! Just Wow!

Again you continue to amaze. The unique fish you continuously come across is mind blowing. Like Brae said, more pictures of the sub tropical tank would be greatly appreciated...

When I read the title of the tread I was thinking about some sort of personatus hybrid or interrupta/debelius hybrid from RCT. When I saw the pictures I was thinking debelius right away too which would also be incredible.

Strong work buddy!

You know the rest of us angelfish nuts/"nerds" just have to read a post like this when we see Special Angel with your name attached to the post, John.
That is a very beautiful fish, I must say. You know that I'm not that a big a fan of hybrids, but some of these natural occuring ones are just breathtaking!

Sincerely,
Matthew

Thanks Matthew! Do you mean not being a fan of artificial or man made hybrids? Exchange of genes is very important in all living populations. "Hybrids" are just those offspring that result from an exchange of genes between two parents that are different enough that we deem them to to be different species. We have some exciting research coming out that will grey the lines between what we consider hybrids and what we consider species that should have reach well beyond reef fish... you could then reevaluate that statement you made about not being a fan of hybrids... sorry Matt, I have to come to the defense of my hybrid buddies... :frog: I'm as big a fan of evolution and how species come to be as I am of angelfish, and when you combine the two my true passion can be seen... if you've been only a fan of true species with no variation or exchange of genetics through the great expanse of time life has been on this Earth you'd present yourself a paradox... rather than explain on I'll end with this quote by the great Charles Darwin, a man well ahead of his time and the person throughout history I'd most like to share my observances with...

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling according to the fixed laws of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved."

So... Matthew, what would you be a fan of in the beginning? Just the same normal ones and not the abberants, hybrids, or whatever? (Said in the voice I think a little Centropyge would have!):twitch::D

You continue to make me jealous everytime I read your post John. Another beautiful specimen. Very cool how these fish come to be. Thanks for always being willing to share all the great pics and info so we can all share some of your excitement. The more guys like you in this hobby the more fun we can all have.:beer:

Thanks Brett, but there's no reason to be jealous! These fascinating specimens are flooding our hobby and have been for years! It just takes a trained eye and some knowledge to figure things out... for every one of these things that is recognized for what it is there's no telling how many slip by into obscurity... and it's not just in our hobby... as the father of a three and six year old I get asked "why?" now about 50 times a day... my six year old now stumps me on many of them! The quest to answer so simple a question can take us down such a fun road... :) I'm like an older version of my son... I knew this fish was different, and asked why back and forth to myself so many times...

Wow! Just Wow!

Again you continue to amaze. The unique fish you continuously come across is mind blowing. Like Brae said, more pictures of the sub tropical tank would be greatly appreciated...

When I read the title of the tread I was thinking about some sort of personatus hybrid or interrupta/debelius hybrid from RCT. When I saw the pictures I was thinking debelius right away too which would also be incredible.

Strong work buddy!

Thanks so much Ryan... there are plenty of photos and information on the subtropical tank here...

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/76-tank-of-the-month

Copps

speechless. both from the fish and your enthusiasm.
and maybe just a little jealous, too. :)

I'll end with this quote by the great Charles Darwin, a man well ahead of his time and the person throughout history I'd most like to share my observances with...

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling according to the fixed laws of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved."

Copps

One of my all time favorite quotes...

Your enthusiasm for the extreme rarity of the fish excites me more than the fish itself...I enjoy reading your posts and it's fantastic to see you're still as excited by the hobby as just about anyone. Statistically this fish simply doesn't make sense...especially considering it had to be spotted by a diver and then subsequently caught and finally survive travels to and from OGII!

Fantastic.

Best wishes and I look forward to updates on this and the other future hybrids I am certain will end up in your care.

Awesome pickups John! I am amazed at the endless number of "special" angels you get to not only see but own!

Do my eyes deceive me in the fact that your Multicolor/Rusty hybrid may have some amour of debelius in it? Reason I say is the blue eyeliner around the fishes eyes. Very similar to the picture of your old debelius.

So that nick in the dorsal a fin clipping? ;)

Oh and they say a picture is worth a 1000 words, well videos are worth thousands of pics...

Always a pleasure to read your updates, John :) some very special fish you've got there, during that thread it was obvious you were doing your best to disguise your overflowing enthusiasm for it so not to give up the game too far. Interesting you mention Debelius, it did quietly recall me of one all along as well.

Keep us all updated with how it settles in to its new home!

I've read the the TOTM many many times and drooled over the photos, I am interested in some updated ones!

I second this. As great as the tank of the month article is, it left me wanting more. Im not just talking pictures either.

She is beautiful. I also drool over your totm and would love to see more. Thanks for sharing.

You guys are unbelievable! That was I think the longest TOTM article ever with the most pics, and still you're not satisfied! I do have a couple more I could show of some other new inhabitants... Last month I replaced my D80 with a new Nikon D5100... I love the camera but found out it's not compatible with one of the lenses I'm going to use underwater... so I need to sell it. I had everything BUT THE BOX so the store wouldn't take it back. If you want a brand new perfect D5100 cheap PM me!:D

Some new inhabitants to the subtropical...

A collected candy basslet pair shipped out of Curacao in the same bag! These guys are electric... hrd to explain unless you've seen them in person... they look like they have glo-sticks inside them...

carmabi_pair.jpg

A key shot of my little buddy from the Ogasawara Islands... I was in Osaka with Koji Wada a couple of years ago and he had one in his shop... I was on my way to Micronesia but I wanted to take that little sucker home... two years later I have one... this guy's also been through QT and is now in the system...

wrought2.jpg

Sadly, I lost my clarion/passer hybrid... died clean as a whistle... so I added one of the queens in her place that I collected in Key West... for those that haven't seen that thread with pics here it is...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1993508

This is the little guy from that thread... a couple of days in the tank and he was bossing all the angels and butterflies around... expected of a Holacanthus despite many of the others now being bigger than her...

70_mix_carmabi.jpg

And a better updated shot of the male Marshallese ventralis anthias... my most beautiful non angelfish... what a fish!

ventralis_male_September_2011.jpg

One of my all time favorite quotes...

Your enthusiasm for the extreme rarity of the fish excites me more than the fish itself...I enjoy reading your posts and it's fantastic to see you're still as excited by the hobby as just about anyone. Statistically this fish simply doesn't make sense...especially considering it had to be spotted by a diver and then subsequently caught and finally survive travels to and from OGII!

Fantastic.

Best wishes and I look forward to updates on this and the other future hybrids I am certain will end up in your care.

Darwin rocks! I studied in Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands at the Charles Darwin Foundation, and traveled through the islands... ended up being there about two years in total and met my wife there! I can say that Darwin really changed my life! :) Not much in the way of diversity in the way of reef fish, but it is quite a site to be on a dive and see a marine iguana fighting a damsel while penguins are swimming by!

Awesome pickups John! I am amazed at the endless number of "special" angels you get to not only see but own!

Do my eyes deceive me in the fact that your Multicolor/Rusty hybrid may have some amour of debelius in it? Reason I say is the blue eyeliner around the fishes eyes. Very similar to the picture of your old debelius.

I think the eyeliner comes from multicolor, but its resemblance to debelius is so striking... what are the chances?

So that nick in the dorsal a fin clipping? ;)

No... I did not have the cohones to clip this guy... I have nothing to prove on him... he'll give his genetics when he's dead! On most living fish I clip I do the tail now... much easier and it grows back and heals fully...

Hello Copps, very nice fish! is it from Cebu?

Exported out of Cebu, but collected elsewhere in PI...

Copps

Last edited:
Back