The Proper Way to TOP OFF and ADD WATER

aquaskilz

Hey guys! Big Problem, over time Ive lost fish and coral and I attribute it to toping off water to my 60 gal salt water tank. I have an RODI unit and there are 0 TDS when I add water. Usually, I add water when my sump gets low and my pump starts making bubbles. Can somebody please tell me what I am doing wrong. Im starting afresh and I don't want this issue again!

PS. I brought an API test kit and have been cycling for 1 week now. IM adding Stability and Prime during the process plus phantom feeding the tank. I have 1 red hermit crab left and 2 snails. I want to add fish in abt another 4weeks PLEASE HELP!

Hey Outssider,

Thanks for your advice. I have an ATO but it didn't work well with me. I prefer to just add it by hand after Ive collected from RODI unit. Thanks tho.

As long as you're using RODI water you're starting off right. Without seeing your setup I can't say if you're doing something wrong.

An ATO is really the best way to go though as it helps maintain stability.

Add smaller amounts of freshwater more often. 4 of my reefs dont have an ATO. I use a felt pen and put a mark on the tank that indicates full. I add RO every morning to bring the water level to that mark.
Cheers! Mark

Sounds like a good idea. So you think Im adding too much water and changing the water parameters? I have a 60 gal tank, how much water do you think I should add weekly? Should I treat the water when I add it??

Add smaller amounts of freshwater more often. 4 of my reefs dont have an ATO. I use a felt pen and put a mark on the tank that indicates full. I add RO every morning to bring the water level to that mark.
Cheers! Mark

^^ This is what I do as well to keep my salinity fairly consistent.

How much weekly? That will be a major swing in salinity. You should top off daily if possible. Tunze 3152. No issues. Always working...

Why is it you attribute losses to RODI top off?
Are you not topping off to maintain a steady salinity.
Large flux in salinity can certainly create loses in which an ATO is very helpful at avoiding , but it can be done by hand in a 60g provided it’s done daily or every other day.
ALK will be the same story, must be maintained will little flux.
The mark on the side where the water level is at 1.025, and refill is a great idea but ensure you test frequently to make sure your on point.

Temp, salinity and Alk, those 3 parameters are best kept very stable
We have a bit more room in Ca, Mg, N and P, but again more the stable the water, better corals grow

Last edited:
So maybe I will ADD 4-8 OUNCES daily? Sounds about right?

Would you not add RODI until you reach 1.025 or 6?
My 65 takes 2L per day.
It not the amount it’s maintaining a steady salinity which is why top off are done.
The amount added back can change throughout the year,
So get your salinity to 1.025, mark the level this is achieved, top off frequently back to the mark.

Test weekly to ensure you stay on point.

So maybe I will ADD 4-8 OUNCES daily? Sounds about right?
The amount you add will be determined by how much water evaporated out of your system. Every tank will have a different evaporation rate. I add approx. a quart a day on my 30 gallon and less than that on my 55gallon with a cover.
Cheers! Mark

A 60 can evap a gallon a day.
I use a Hydor topoff. Inexpensive. Easy to set up, a little cranky to reset after you've let the topoff reservoir run dry, but if you just topoff by hand and let the sensor re-do its operation it will reset. You'll want at least a 5 gal bucket to use for ro/di, and put a reminder on the fridge to topoff the topoff bucket periodically and you'll neve rhave to fight the creature through a reset.

Last edited:
Hey everybody thanks for your help! So I see the way to go is to add a little bit of water every (other) day. I will figure how much. I may consider hooking up my ATO eventually. Thanks!

If you put a water level mark on your sump glass, you wont have to figure anything out. Just keep the water at that level. Why not add every day?

I don't get the every other day being pushed by the OP ea. time ..........Do it EVERY day. Every other day will result is changes in salinity, just common physics of evaporation here.
Your being told what to do but not listening, sigh..................

I use a felt pen and put a mark on the tank that indicates full. I add RO every morning to bring the water level to that mark.
Cheers! Mark

That is exactly what I do. Works perfectly for keeping my salinity stable. I fill the tank up to the line every morning when I feed. Very simple and effective.

Last edited:
The Proper Way to TOP OFF and ADD WATER

Not using your ATO is a terrible idea. Not sure what your opposition is. Remember, we chase stability. The more stable your parameters are, the better your reef will be.

Hook up the ATO, and be done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Not using your ATO is a terrible idea. It sure what your opposition is. Remember, we chase stability. The more stable your parameters are, the better your reef will be.

Hook up the ATO, and be done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup 110%. Stability is everything. ATO is a critical component.
Mine provides me up to 14 days without adding water.
Along with the doser and the auto feeder, creates high stability, so
Much less work, and some vacation time.

Back