The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also have a TX5 and thinking of getting 3 blue+, 1 white actinic, and not sure about the last one either GE, Aquablue, Aquasun, not really sure.

Hi. I was wondering if you guys could help me pick out new bulbs. My wife is getting me them for x-mas...
Here is what I currently have.

Blue Plus
Super Actinic
Aquasun
Blue Plus
Aquasun
Super Actinic
Aquablue
Blue Plus

I really dont like how my tank looks with all the lights on. It's because of the aquasuns. The make the tank look pinkish.. I picked the aquasuns because they were high on par. I wonder if I could get my tank bluer without losing too much par. I am not really brand specific, there are just sooooo many choices I get dizzy!! Please HELP me out!!

No, some rich person needs to buy both and send them to me :bounce3:

I don't believe the tek price includes the splash shield while the ATI does so keep that in mind.
The new TEK Elite comes with an acrylic shield. The only thing you would need is hanging kit or stands. I'm excited about this fixture - sounds like great bang for the buck!!

I also have a TX5 and thinking of getting 3 blue+, 1 white actinic, and not sure about the last one either GE, Aquablue, Aquasun, not really sure.

Jason - Go for a figi purple! :lolspin: It depends on what you're looking for as far as color, but check out the post I made just a bit earlier.

Thanks again!!!

Thanks again!!!

Grim,

Thanks for the help!

Here's a pic of the new lights. I used a coffee filter to get the white balance so it's pretty close to how it looks in case anyone was interested in the setup.

front
blue plus
midwater
blue plus
ge 6500k
blue plus
blue plus
back

Attachments

• DSC_0429.jpg
    DSC_0429.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0435.jpg
    DSC_0435.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 3
I've used Fiji purples in combination with 8 T5s and another combo with 250mh 14K's and Fiji Purples always seems to help with colorations.

Sup Kelbi

-Charles-

Im at witts end with these retro T5s. 2X660 icecaps 8T5's

So I decided to lower the T5 lights I got so there about 4" off the water. Made a nice little shelf and disconnected the endcaps, but left all the wires in the same as Im just going to extend the wires down to the new bulb position.

After doing this I mounted all the endcaps and extention wire to the new shelf hooked it all back up and only one ballast lit four lamps. The other four lamps just flicker on for a second and then shut off.

After playing with the 8 endcaps to the bulbs that are not lighting for the last 6 hrs, I decided to pull out the trusty Ohm meter and test the lines. There doesnt seem to be any problems with the lines to the bulbs and back and the jumpers seem ok as well.

I thought it might be the ballast so I disconnected the one that was working and plugged it up to the non working side and the same thing happens on then off. But it works like a champ on the other four bulbs as we speak. Two of the four bulbs dont light as bright for the split second as the other two maybe this might be something.

Im fustrated and tired and need some help. Im ready to sell the set up for some MH.

chem-e so your suggesting 3 blue +, 1 white actinic, 1 figi purple? I want overal color/pop and growth so par # is important to me but i also dont want a white looking tank i perfer it to be on the blue side of the spectrum.

Im at witts end with these retro T5s. 2X660 icecaps 8T5's

So I decided to lower the T5 lights I got so there about 4" off the water. Made a nice little shelf and disconnected the endcaps, but left all the wires in the same as Im just going to extend the wires down to the new bulb position.

After doing this I mounted all the endcaps and extention wire to the new shelf hooked it all back up and only one ballast lit four lamps. The other four lamps just flicker on for a second and then shut off.

After playing with the 8 endcaps to the bulbs that are not lighting for the last 6 hrs, I decided to pull out the trusty Ohm meter and test the lines. There doesnt seem to be any problems with the lines to the bulbs and back and the jumpers seem ok as well.

I thought it might be the ballast so I disconnected the one that was working and plugged it up to the non working side and the same thing happens on then off. But it works like a champ on the other four bulbs as we speak. Two of the four bulbs dont light as bright for the split second as the other two maybe this might be something.

Im fustrated and tired and need some help. Im ready to sell the set up for some MH.
Ok all figured out now I need a nap. For some reason the ballast wasnt getting a good ground tried a different outlet walla there it was heaven shinning down on me what a feeling. I have been trying to figure it out for hrs hahaha and all I had to do was move the plug hahaha.

chem-e so your suggesting 3 blue +, 1 white actinic, 1 figi purple? I want overal color/pop and growth so par # is important to me but i also dont want a white looking tank i perfer it to be on the blue side of the spectrum.

If you're looking for something on the bluer side, I'd keep the 3 blue+ for sure. As for the other two, I've had experience with the aquablue/aquasun combo and now the aquablue/fiji combo and I definitely like the fiji purple in the mix. The aquasun didn't do all the much for me, which is why I decided to try something new. If you're looking to keep par high, I'd say ditch the aquasun for a aquablue. If my memory is any good, I believe the aquablue puts out a little more par.

So, what if you had 2 24" T5s on a 12" deep tank? Individual reflectors of course. What coral CAN'T these support? This may end up lighting my frag tank, that's why I ask.

I like a 20K MH color.

Would this be a place for a Blue plus and a fiji purple?

What colors does the fiji purple add to the mix? Does it bring out the reds w/o washing out the blues? How's its PAR compared to a blue plus or an aquablue?

hey Grim I believe its time for me to get new bulbs i had these since dec 2008, I have a 72 inch constalation. Just wondering if any new better bulbs or combos you have tried that are better than the one i have now that you recomended to me last year. Im looking to promote growth, and make my corals pop, with a great overall look when all lights are on.

ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25 -
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Aquasun
ATI Blue Plus

the above is currently what i have

grim you had posted for my 48"nova extreme pro:
4 ATI blue plus
1UVL actinic white
1 GE 6500K
question is what is the configuration for those bulbs starting from front-thanks for your reply

I've got confirmation from Greg at reefgeek.com that the TEK Elite has 2 fans on its 6 and 8 bulb unit. He said he personally spoke to sunlight supply about it today. he said he doesn't have any performance figures yet though.

I've got confirmation from Greg at reefgeek.com that the TEK Elite has 2 fans on its 6 and 8 bulb unit. He said he personally spoke to sunlight supply about it today. he said he doesn't have any performance figures yet though.

Im keeping my eye on this fixture will be in the market soon also lookin at the Ice cap reef Illuminations T5/LED combo no reviews on it yet also...

180 gallon lighting?

180 gallon lighting?

I have a 180 70x24x24. Would like to know if a 48 inch tek 8x54 would work and if not what would everyone recommend?

Hey Grim,
I have 2 options, trying to get this canopy figured out...One uses a sunpod HQI fixture that I would add either 4 or 6 T5 bulbs to, the other is 8 T5 bulbs. Icecap retrofits here on 660 ballasts. Any feedback on which one to do? I have SPS near the top and chalices LPS on the sand. Also which bulbs would you recommend for each?
Thanks!!

What are the tank dimensions?

Thanks, Grim. I was worried that it would be too much for them. Is this a wavelength that algae grow on, or is it only used by the coral?

:)
Angela

Light is a convenient excuse for people who have bad water parameters. Certain spectrums will grow algae better but with good conditions the mainstream spectrums of lights we use arent going to cause a problem unless they are old and the infrared spectrum increases which according to some is more beneficial to algae growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back