The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15752996#post15752996 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
Use Blue Plus in 1, 3 and 5 and the Aquablue and Actinic White in 2 and 4.

And if I don't replace the 6500?

Originally posted by Kenfuzed
I just installed an ATI Sunpower 6x80w over my 180. After letting it run a couple days I'm not liking my color combination. It just seems a bit blue for my taste. The fixture actually hangs in a fish room so the only light I see is through the front glass, but looking at it for a few moments is like looking at an arc welder This thing is bright!

Lamps include: 4x Blue Plus, 1x GE 6500k, and 1x Aquablue special.

Any suggestions? I thought of exchanging one of the Blue Plus' for a Fiji Purple. The tank will be a mixed reef with an emphasis on sps.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15741475#post15741475 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
A fiji purple in place of a blue plus would probably get you what you are looking for,
Switched out 1 Blue Plus for a Fiji Purple and WOW:eek1:
The light looks so much more natural now and still ultra bright! I have a older style tek on my small bowfront and when I look at both tanks it is like the tek is putting out half the light of the ATI. Only trouble now is that since the 180 has a low iron front panel the light blazing into the living room makes the TV appear dimmed.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15751901#post15751901 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
The IC retro with a 660 ballast or even one 430 and one standard T5 ballast will work.

If I choose to go the fixture route what would a few good options be?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15753060#post15753060 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RDMike
few more questions before i purchase the bulbs. what is the benefit of the uv actinic bulbs? if i got with the 6 bulb combo u recommended, would it be equivalent to a 14k look? thanks

If you mean the actinic white it has red and actinic output with pretty good PAR. You get the red spectrum, a little added actinic pop and PAR.

As far as the color 14K is going to be ball park.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15753536#post15753536 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jflick345
If I choose to go the fixture route what would a few good options be?

ATI 4 lamp Sunpower.

i know the aquablue special and the uv actinic whites are both 12k equivalents so why do you prefer the uv over the ati?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15753887#post15753887 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RDMike
i know the aquablue special and the uv actinic whites are both 12k equivalents so why do you prefer the uv over the ati?

Those K numbers are bull stuff. I don't know why they even bother. The ATI is basically a white lamp with a blue tint. You already get plenty of blue from the blue lamps. The UVL lamp is wite with a pink tint so you are adding in red and some yellow spectrum all those blue lamps that make the corals pop don't provide.n

i have a 4 bulb t5 retro w/ ic660 adding an other 2bulb retro so i can add abit of dusk dawn lighting, what wold the best lay out be? im replacing all 6 bulbs at once, where shold the 2 bulbs be for the dusk dawn effect? system is mainly sps and zoas. what bulbs should i buy? will i need 2 fans to cool the lights now or will one 3" be enough?
thanks

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15743671#post15743671 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
Either will work fine over that tank. It really depends on whether or not you want the Shimmer lines you get with halides. People are discovering the notion that you have to have a chiller with halides is bunk. If your house has AC and your tank is in a big room with lots of air flow you have a pretty good chance of getting by without using the chiller. Of course the Maristar will use about 650 watts and you can get the same or better coverage and PAR with the 8 lamp PM for about 450 watts.
thanks again for the feedback - i'm going all T5! any suggestions on bulb combo's - i think i'm going with the 8 bulb unit unless you think it would be adviseable to buck up for the 10 unit?

thanks again for all the advice :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15752533#post15752533 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tazmanian_cowboy
Grim, You are correct. It did crack at the tip. There is currently no fan. The unit is wide open to the room air. Being that there is no trapped air, I thought I'd be alright. When I make the canopy and enclose the lights I have 2 IC variable fans to cool the bulbs. How do you suggest I place themside by side on end, opposing ends blowing inward? Exhaust on top or sides?

I was actually thinking about a splash guard way befor this happened though to help with salt creep. occasionally I get a few microbubbles or a splash or two and after 1 year of use, I see I need to take them and clean everything. Would you recommend plexi or glass if I decide to go this route?

Taz

I can't believe I remembered I hadn't replied to you yet....

Fan at each end blowing in from the back down the row of endcaps.

As long as you vent to canopy the splash guard, if kept clean wont cut a lot of light. Plexi is best.

HI Grim, a new question please...

Now I´m using 3 blueplus, 2 blue spezial and 1 actinic as you recommend me... I have lots of sps frags now, and I want them to growh faster... My question is:

Should I change one blue spezial (white) and put a 6500k daylight?????
I supposed that any t5 6500ºk its fine, I´m going to buy it in a normal lighting shop... Any problem????

The final composition would be:

front:

blueplus
6500ºk
actinic
blueplus
special blue(white)
blueplus

Sorry for my english...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15754482#post15754482 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by spoofer
thanks again for the feedback - i'm going all T5! any suggestions on bulb combo's - i think i'm going with the 8 bulb unit unless you think it would be adviseable to buck up for the 10 unit?

thanks again for all the advice :)

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Actinic White
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus or Aquablue for a slightly brigher more 14K look.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15754537#post15754537 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kurtkob
HI Grim, a new question please...

Now I´m using 3 blueplus, 2 blue spezial and 1 actinic as you recommend me... I have lots of sps frags now, and I want them to growh faster... My question is:

Should I change one blue spezial (white) and put a 6500k daylight?????
I supposed that any t5 6500ºk its fine, I´m going to buy it in a normal lighting shop... Any problem????

The final composition would be:

front:

blueplus
6500ºk
actinic
blueplus
special blue(white)
blueplus

Sorry for my english...

Change out the Actinicv for the 6500K instead. The Aquablue has a ton of PAR. Adding a daylight in place of the actinic is a big gain/

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15754559#post15754559 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
Change out the Actinicv for the 6500K instead. The Aquablue has a ton of PAR. Adding a daylight in place of the actinic is a big gain/

But what about the colors??? no problem??? or first growth and then color??? :D

Im going to buy it in a normal lighting shop, any problem??? I dont have any chance of buying it in a aquarium shop :(

To get growth, which is the best photoperiod????

sorry for to many questions...

thanks

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15754583#post15754583 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kurtkob
But what about the colors??? no problem??? or first growth and then color??? :D

Im going to buy it in a normal lighting shop, any problem??? I dont have any chance of buying it in a aquarium shop :(

To get growth, which is the best photoperiod????

sorry for to many questions...

thanks

Color will be fine. Doesn't matter where you buy as long as it's the 6500K Daylight. 12 hour dsk/dawn, 8 to 10 hours with all lights on.

Wow this is a big thread! I want to switch over from 2x250 halide to t5 on my 72x18x18 tank. Getting more into SPS and 2 halides over 6 feet ain't cutting it.

Is a 6x80w retro good? Too much for my tank? Also, what bulbs would you recommend to get a blue similar to Phoenix 14k bulbs?

Thanks!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15754600#post15754600 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
Color will be fine. Doesn't matter where you buy as long as it's the 6500K Daylight. 12 hour dsk/dawn, 8 to 10 hours with all lights on.

Many thanks ! Now I´ve got 6 hours with all lights on and 11 hours with blueplus and actinics... :S

I've got a 150 gal tank that is 29" deep I'm using 2 400w mh's with 4 48" T-5's and I want to switch to all T-5's because the water just gets too warm and I can't afford a chiller. If I go to 6 T-5's will it give me enough light for sps? Also what "K" bulbs would give the best lighting for monti's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back