The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Grim,
I am setting up a 40 breeder with a T5 retrokit. I have 3 triad ballast but I will only be running 5 bulbs (all I can fit in my canopy comfortably). I plan to start with lps, softies and zoas. Maybe eventually a clam. What bulb combination would you reccomend that would result in good growth and colors. Could I achieve dusk/dawn with this setup, if so how?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15745416#post15745416 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
You could do a retrofit kit using 60" lamps. You could start off with 3 lamps on an Ice Cap 660 ballast with Aqua Illumination reflectors and keep softies to start. Then when you get the bucks add 3 more lamps and step up to some hard corals.

Thanks for your help an dedication Grim ,you really make a newbies day!

Anyway, I found this 60" Retrofit kit- 3 bulb Is this good to start off with? I noticed that it is VHO, is that better/interchangeable with HO?

Thanks

Also, since my tank is 72" long, should I stagger them?and in what combo/order?Or should
i just sink the extra bucks in the 72" ones??

Last edited:
Grim,
Running a 54w 7 bulb retro with bulbs about 9 months old on a 60x24x24 mixed reef. Been having a nasty little Cyano outbreak lately and wondering if my bulbs may be contributing (e.g. running out of life, configuration). Was planning on running them for about 1 year before replacement, but will change it up if needed, how often should these be switched out, i keep hearing different numbers?
Here is what i am currently running (11 hours all on, with 1 hour on each end (sunrise/sunset)). Was thinking of switching out one bulb for another Blue+, but still want to ensure SPS will have enough good light. Any thoughts on a new configuration, different bulbs, etc. and/or bulbs contributing to Cyano? Thanks.

ATI Blue+
UVL 75/25
ATI Blue+
GE 65k
UVL 75/25
ATI Blue+
UVL Aquasun

Thanks again.

Hey Grim,
I have a 58 gallon sps tank with a nova extreme pro fixture with 6x39watt bulbs. The stock light is way too white. What would you recommend for a crisp white/blue look where all the colors would really pop like when its under actinics. I also want good great as well.

Where are some good online sites to buy these bulbs. Thanks -Mike

Grim:
I have a 72" 14 bulb Aquactinics Constellation. My bulb arrangement is:

FRONT
ATI Blue+
ATI Aquablue Special
ATI Aquablue Special
ATI Blue+
ATI Blue+
ATI Aquablue Special
ATI Blue+

I like the look of the tank with 8 Blue+ and 2 Aquablue Special bulbs on. It's a nice blue, but just a little too blue, but when the last 4 Aquablue Special bulbs come on, I feel the tank is too white. What do you think I can do to brighten up the blue look without getting too white?

Thanks

Hey Grim,
Its time to change the bulbs on my TEK 48'' 8 bulb on 75. What is the best combo for an SPS dominated reef for both color and growth?

Also i need to buy new bulbs for the 4 bulb 24'' fixture that will go on the new frag tank (12'' tall) that will have SPS and some Zoanthids.

Thanks! Elan

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15746366#post15746366 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kysalty
Hey Grim,
I am setting up a 40 breeder with a T5 retrokit. I have 3 triad ballast but I will only be running 5 bulbs (all I can fit in my canopy comfortably). I plan to start with lps, softies and zoas. Maybe eventually a clam. What bulb combination would you reccomend that would result in good growth and colors. Could I achieve dusk/dawn with this setup, if so how?

Run 3 Blue Plus, 1 UVL Actinic White and a ATI Aquablue. Run 1 Blue Plus on one ballast and the other 2 on another. Then not only do you have dusk/dawn, you have 2 stage dusk/dawn.

29 gallon

29 gallon

Hey Grim,

A friend of mine is running a 29g with a 400w halide above it. Unfortunately, he has no actinic supplementation and apparently the wrong color bulb, so his corals are all turning brown. He has the opportunity to replace it with a Finnex 4x24 fixture with no individual reflectors. Will this be enough light by itself to successfully grow SPS? Or should he try to find a way to add supplementation to the halide?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15746376#post15746376 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Creationreefer
Thanks for your help an dedication Grim ,you really make a newbies day!

Anyway, I found this 60" Retrofit kit- 3 bulb Is this good to start off with? I noticed that it is VHO, is that better/interchangeable with HO?

Thanks

Also, since my tank is 72" long, should I stagger them?and in what combo/order?Or should
i just sink the extra bucks in the 72" ones??

No, hit reefgeek and have them put you together a 3 lamp T5 retro with the 60" lamps and aqua illumination reflectors. You don't need to stagger the lamps. It works better having them all centered. you get a slight fade effect at the end of the tank and you have to limit your stock to lower light critters in the last 6 inches or so at each end.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15747841#post15747841 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chris023
Grim,
Running a 54w 7 bulb retro with bulbs about 9 months old on a 60x24x24 mixed reef. Been having a nasty little Cyano outbreak lately and wondering if my bulbs may be contributing (e.g. running out of life, configuration). Was planning on running them for about 1 year before replacement, but will change it up if needed, how often should these be switched out, i keep hearing different numbers?
Here is what i am currently running (11 hours all on, with 1 hour on each end (sunrise/sunset)). Was thinking of switching out one bulb for another Blue+, but still want to ensure SPS will have enough good light. Any thoughts on a new configuration, different bulbs, etc. and/or bulbs contributing to Cyano? Thanks.

ATI Blue+
UVL 75/25
ATI Blue+
GE 65k
UVL 75/25
ATI Blue+
UVL Aquasun

Thanks again.

Swap out a 75/25 for a Blue Plus, more blue and PAR. I think 10 months if you arent cooling the lamps is not too soon to swap out the lamps.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15747898#post15747898 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RDMike
Hey Grim,
I have a 58 gallon sps tank with a nova extreme pro fixture with 6x39watt bulbs. The stock light is way too white. What would you recommend for a crisp white/blue look where all the colors would really pop like when its under actinics. I also want good great as well.

Where are some good online sites to buy these bulbs. Thanks -Mike

Reefgeek.com. Do 4 ATI Blue Plus, 1 GE 6500K Daylight and a UVL Actinic White

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15747937#post15747937 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by newsalt
Grim:
I have a 72" 14 bulb Aquactinics Constellation. My bulb arrangement is:

FRONT
ATI Blue+
ATI Aquablue Special
ATI Aquablue Special
ATI Blue+
ATI Blue+
ATI Aquablue Special
ATI Blue+

I like the look of the tank with 8 Blue+ and 2 Aquablue Special bulbs on. It's a nice blue, but just a little too blue, but when the last 4 Aquablue Special bulbs come on, I feel the tank is too white. What do you think I can do to brighten up the blue look without getting too white?

Thanks

Add another row of Blue Plus and I would pull another row of Aquablues and add a row of UVL Actinic Whites.

Front
Blue Plus
Blue Plus
UVL Actinic White or Aquablue
Blue Plus
Aquablue
Blue Plus
Blue Plus

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15749125#post15749125 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Elan L.
Hey Grim,
Its time to change the bulbs on my TEK 48'' 8 bulb on 75. What is the best combo for an SPS dominated reef for both color and growth?

Also i need to buy new bulbs for the 4 bulb 24'' fixture that will go on the new frag tank (12'' tall) that will have SPS and some Zoanthids.

Thanks! Elan

For the fragger do 2 Blue Plus and 2 GE 6500K Daylight.

For the 8 lamp system do 5 Blue Plus, 1 ATI Aquablue, 1 UVL Actinic White and a GE 6500K Daylight.

Re: 29 gallon

Re: 29 gallon

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15749704#post15749704 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by seaspy
Hey Grim,

A friend of mine is running a 29g with a 400w halide above it. Unfortunately, he has no actinic supplementation and apparently the wrong color bulb, so his corals are all turning brown. He has the opportunity to replace it with a Finnex 4x24 fixture with no individual reflectors. Will this be enough light by itself to successfully grow SPS? Or should he try to find a way to add supplementation to the halide?

I suspect his water quality is the reason for the brown out unless his lamp is junk but the finnex will work if the SPS are off the bottom. I would run 2 ATI Blue Plus, 1 Aquablue and a UVL 75/25

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15749768#post15749768 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
For the fragger do 2 Blue Plus and 2 GE 6500K Daylight.

For the 8 lamp system do 5 Blue Plus, 1 ATI Aquablue, 1 UVL Actinic White and a GE 6500K Daylight.
thanks! What order would you put it? Is the 2 Daylight going to be too much yellow for the frag tank??

Also i really want to incorporate a kz fiji purple for a try.

Re: Re: 29 gallon

Re: Re: 29 gallon

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15749782#post15749782 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
I suspect his water quality is the reason for the brown out unless his lamp is junk but the finnex will work if the SPS are off the bottom. I would run 2 ATI Blue Plus, 1 Aquablue and a UVL 75/25

I don't think it's his water, his setup is fairly new and he only has 1 fish in there. It's possible though. Thanks for the advice!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15749914#post15749914 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Elan L.
thanks! What order would you put it? Is the 2 Daylight going to be too much yellow for the frag tank??

Also i really want to incorporate a kz fiji purple for a try.

Arrange the lamps so you get even light distribution and blues on the dusk/dawn. You can swap out the Actinic white for the fiji.

As far as thge frag tank use 3 blue plus and a ge if you want a nice look too.

I know this question has been asked a couple of times already, couldnt find an answer, thx guys

What is the difference in output between the Nova Extreme Pro with "Parabolic reflectors" Vs the Nova Extreme with "Single Lamp Reflectors"?

I know that the pro has 6 bulbs and the other one has 4 bulbs, but does the SLR in the nova extreme makes the fixture give more par or at least make it more efficient?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15750256#post15750256 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kmu
I know this question has been asked a couple of times already, couldnt find an answer, thx guys

What is the difference in output between the Nova Extreme Pro with "Parabolic reflectors" Vs the Nova Extreme with "Single Lamp Reflectors"?

I know that the pro has 6 bulbs and the other one has 4 bulbs, but does the SLR in the nova extreme makes the fixture give more par or at least make it more efficient?

IMO, this would be the T5 fixtures I would go with. Both are made by ATI.

T5 fixtures

Grim,
I appreciate all your help answering questions....your patience is to be commended! I am setting up a 185 Gallon, 60x30x24 Tank. I am planning on purchasing the ATI Powermodule 60" 10x80W fixture. I want a 14K look with the goal of great colors...so it could look closer to 20K. What bulbs/order should I use?
Thanks so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back