The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15750256#post15750256 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kmu
I know this question has been asked a couple of times already, couldnt find an answer, thx guys

What is the difference in output between the Nova Extreme Pro with "Parabolic reflectors" Vs the Nova Extreme with "Single Lamp Reflectors"?

I know that the pro has 6 bulbs and the other one has 4 bulbs, but does the SLR in the nova extreme makes the fixture give more par or at least make it more efficient?

Still doesn't match the Tek.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15751011#post15751011 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefPug
Grim,
I appreciate all your help answering questions....your patience is to be commended! I am setting up a 185 Gallon, 60x30x24 Tank. I am planning on purchasing the ATI Powermodule 60" 10x80W fixture. I want a 14K look with the goal of great colors...so it could look closer to 20K. What bulbs/order should I use?
Thanks so much!

Front
ATI Blue Plus
KZ Fiji Purple
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus
KZ Fiji Purple
ATI Blue Plus

Had a fish splash my t5's tonight. I heard the splash and then it was lights out. A bulb cracked from the splash. Can I put glass or plexi? or will this reduce PAR significantly?

Taz

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15751258#post15751258 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tazmanian_cowboy
Had a fish splash my t5's tonight. I heard the splash and then it was lights out. A bulb cracked from the splash. Can I put glass or plexi? or will this reduce PAR significantly?

Taz

What setup are you running?

Quick question, Grim. I switched to a 45g tank and I'm having a little trouble deciding on the light. I'm hoping to use T5s but with the tank being 24" deep and only 12" wide any suggestions for lighting? Would be a 4x39w IceCap retro provide plenty of light down to the sand bed for a clam or would I have to go more like a TX5 or ATI fixture? Thanks again!

WOW that was a quick reply!

I have 2 Ice Cap 660's running their prewired retros (2 units...4 x 54w bulbs w/individual reflectors on each bulb,,,,Confusing. 8 bulbs total

Tank is 27" deep.

Taz

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15749692#post15749692 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
Run 3 Blue Plus, 1 UVL Actinic White and a ATI Aquablue. Run 1 Blue Plus on one ballast and the other 2 on another. Then not only do you have dusk/dawn, you have 2 stage dusk/dawn.

Thanks for all the help.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15749692#post15749692 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
Run 3 Blue Plus, 1 UVL Actinic White and a ATI Aquablue. Run 1 Blue Plus on one ballast and the other 2 on another. Then not only do you have dusk/dawn, you have 2 stage dusk/dawn.

Should i have them in a certain order front to back? Any suggestion on the amount of time staggered between each stage of lighting?

Hey Grim what would be the benefit of going with

4 ATI Blue Plus,
1 GE 6500K Daylight
1 UVL Actinic White

Vs.

4 ATI Blue Plus
2 Aquablue specials

or
3 ATI Blue Plue
2 Aquablue specials

I am scared the first combo will be too white. Thanks in advance

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15751325#post15751325 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jflick345
Quick question, Grim. I switched to a 45g tank and I'm having a little trouble deciding on the light. I'm hoping to use T5s but with the tank being 24" deep and only 12" wide any suggestions for lighting? Would be a 4x39w IceCap retro provide plenty of light down to the sand bed for a clam or would I have to go more like a TX5 or ATI fixture? Thanks again!

The IC retro with a 660 ballast or even one 430 and one standard T5 ballast will work.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15751350#post15751350 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tazmanian_cowboy
WOW that was a quick reply!

I have 2 Ice Cap 660's running their prewired retros (2 units...4 x 54w bulbs w/individual reflectors on each bulb,,,,Confusing. 8 bulbs total

Tank is 27" deep.

Taz

OK, let me attempt my amazing Kreskene impersonation. Not running fans and the lamp cracked by the reflector clip? If you don't cool the lamps on a overdriven setup the lamps crack at the clips. Did I guess right?

Otherwise some sort of splash shield will be OK as long as it doesn't mess with the cooling.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15751802#post15751802 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kysalty
Should i have them in a certain order front to back? Any suggestion on the amount of time staggered between each stage of lighting?

Just play with the timing. I would say an hour between the first and second ballast then maybe all on 6 or 8 hours. Place a Blue at the front then Actinic White, Blue Aquablue Blue.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15751856#post15751856 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RDMike
Hey Grim what would be the benefit of going with

4 ATI Blue Plus,
1 GE 6500K Daylight
1 UVL Actinic White

Vs.

4 ATI Blue Plus
2 Aquablue specials

or
3 ATI Blue Plue
2 Aquablue specials

I am scared the first combo will be too white. Thanks in advance

Grab a Aquablue as a spare for the first combo and if you think its too white you can swap out the GE for the Aquablue. The GE is going to make green colors pop better, yellow too. It is a good idea to have a spare anyway.

Hello Grim and others,

First let me apologize if this specific question has been asked and answered before in this thread. I did peruse most of the 100+ pages:) and I could not find the answer I am looking for.

To that end, I am currently on a new 180 gl. custom sps build and I need some lighting questions answered. Right now I ma running three LumenBright 250W SE fixtures with CoralVue E-Ballasts with 12k ReefLux bulbs. I have not been overly happy with MH in general and thinking of jumping the fence to T5 setup. I need to know who makes the best T5 fixture? I know I can obtain the proper color if bulb selection is correct, but will I get the same growth as MH? And given my tank is 29" in height will T5 work at that depth? And lastly, I have a 60" length (I know an odd size) so what company's fixtures can handle that length?

I really hope all of you have positives to say about T5 because this is really interesting me on my new design/build. I GREATLY appreciate any and all help you can give me and again apologize if these questions have been answered to ad nauseam. Thx..........

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15751912#post15751912 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
OK, let me attempt my amazing Kreskene impersonation. Not running fans and the lamp cracked by the reflector clip? If you don't cool the lamps on a overdriven setup the lamps crack at the clips. Did I guess right?

Otherwise some sort of splash shield will be OK as long as it doesn't mess with the cooling.

Grim, You are correct. It did crack at the tip. There is currently no fan. The unit is wide open to the room air. Being that there is no trapped air, I thought I'd be alright. When I make the canopy and enclose the lights I have 2 IC variable fans to cool the bulbs. How do you suggest I place themside by side on end, opposing ends blowing inward? Exhaust on top or sides?

I was actually thinking about a splash guard way befor this happened though to help with salt creep. occasionally I get a few microbubbles or a splash or two and after 1 year of use, I see I need to take them and clean everything. Would you recommend plexi or glass if I decide to go this route?

Taz

Grim, I have the Aquactinics TX5. I bought 5 bulbs 2 ATI blueplus, UVL aquablue and actinic white, and GE 6500. I have been told the 6500 will foster too much algae and I would be better off with something else. What do you recommend?

I asked about positions before and the 1,3,5 spots are on one switch 2,4 on the other. You suggested using the blueplus on the 2,4 for dawn twilight, but the fan only comes on with the 1,3,5 so I'd rather do those 3 lights for the lower light setting and use the timer on the 2,4 to add midday intensity 4-6 hours. What are your thoughts on the 1,3,5 positions. 1 is closest to the front.

Thanks

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15752361#post15752361 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tegee
Hello Grim and others,

First let me apologize if this specific question has been asked and answered before in this thread. I did peruse most of the 100+ pages:) and I could not find the answer I am looking for.

To that end, I am currently on a new 180 gl. custom sps build and I need some lighting questions answered. Right now I ma running three LumenBright 250W SE fixtures with CoralVue E-Ballasts with 12k ReefLux bulbs. I have not been overly happy with MH in general and thinking of jumping the fence to T5 setup. I need to know who makes the best T5 fixture? I know I can obtain the proper color if bulb selection is correct, but will I get the same growth as MH? And given my tank is 29" in height will T5 work at that depth? And lastly, I have a 60" length (I know an odd size) so what company's fixtures can handle that length?

I really hope all of you have positives to say about T5 because this is really interesting me on my new design/build. I GREATLY appreciate any and all help you can give me and again apologize if these questions have been answered to ad nauseam. Thx..........

60" ATI Powermodule from reefgeek. It should have planty of PAR. You could even use the 48" version and be OK. That gives you more lamp options and saves some bucks

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15752577#post15752577 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Frogmanx82
Grim, I have the Aquactinics TX5. I bought 5 bulbs 2 ATI blueplus, UVL aquablue and actinic white, and GE 6500. I have been told the 6500 will foster too much algae and I would be better off with something else. What do you recommend?

I asked about positions before and the 1,3,5 spots are on one switch 2,4 on the other. You suggested using the blueplus on the 2,4 for dawn twilight, but the fan only comes on with the 1,3,5 so I'd rather do those 3 lights for the lower light setting and use the timer on the 2,4 to add midday intensity 4-6 hours. What are your thoughts on the 1,3,5 positions. 1 is closest to the front.

Thanks

Use Blue Plus in 1, 3 and 5 and the Aquablue and Actinic White in 2 and 4.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15751925#post15751925 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
Grab a Aquablue as a spare for the first combo and if you think its too white you can swap out the GE for the Aquablue. The GE is going to make green colors pop better, yellow too. It is a good idea to have a spare anyway.
few more questions before i purchase the bulbs. what is the benefit of the uv actinic bulbs? if i got with the 6 bulb combo u recommended, would it be equivalent to a 14k look? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back