The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14180343#post14180343 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by albertan22
Hi there, I'm setting up a new 120g (48x24x24) tank. I'd like to keep a mixed reef with mainly lps and a few softies, possibly some sps high in the tank. I think I've more or less settled on a Sunlight Supply Tek fixture, my first question is, 6 bulb or 8 bulb? My second question is, can you recommend a bulb arrangement? I'm not a fan of really blue tanks, but want to stay away from the really white/yellow looking tank as well.

Thanks!

If you go with the TEK fixture you will want the 8 bulb. I would look into the ATI Sunpower. Not much difference in cost but big difference in performance.

If you get the TEK go to foster and smith and pick the Azoo fans to help cool the fixture.

As for an 8 bulb config:

ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Aquasun
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K or UVL 75/25
ATI Aquablue

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14177829#post14177829 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefpimp#1
GRIM REEFER I'm u may have seen me asking this question in different threads but i was wondering what you thought.

I'm thinking of buying a 350gal thats 72"L x 30"W x 36"T. would t5s work on a tank that deep for sps and if so what fixure or retros would u recommend?

Tank that big and deep screams halides for anything but softies.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14178119#post14178119 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bassist6108
Grim:
I have a 5 bulb t5 light, and like it a lot, but I would like to have a slightly warmer light than its putting out now. My bulbs are: two of the Geissman Actinic Plus, one Aquablue, one UV 75/25, and a UV superactinic. Any suggestions on what new bulbs I should try to get a yellower spectrum, and which ones I should take out for the new bulbs? Any help would be VERY appreciated. Thanks!

I'd pull the Super Actinic and put a GE 6500K Daylight or Giesemann midday in. If that doesn't get you there swap the Aquablue for another one of either of those lamps (Gmann or GE)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14178309#post14178309 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gig
Hey Grim, just an update, let me know if you think I need to adjust, I like the look, but it might be still too white:

front to back

VHO - UVL Super Actinic
T5 - ATI Blue Plus
VHO - UVL Actinic White (50/50)
T5 - ATI Blue Plus
VHO - UVL Actinic White (50/50)
VHO - UVL Super Actinic

I do plan to swap out the back Actinic White with a UVL AquaSun, but will that add more reds? I think that would be good.

Pics

Picture004.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Looks cool. The Aquasun will add more red if the VHO colors follow the T5's

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14178314#post14178314 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cash cow
hey grim! my ATI Sunpower comes in 2 weeks!! please give me front to back for a 6 bulb t-5..........thanks a lot

I think the outter 2 are paired for dusk dawn

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus

You may need to tweak around the positions a bit.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14180343#post14180343 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by albertan22
Hi there, I'm setting up a new 120g (48x24x24) tank. I'd like to keep a mixed reef with mainly lps and a few softies, possibly some sps high in the tank. I think I've more or less settled on a Sunlight Supply Tek fixture, my first question is, 6 bulb or 8 bulb? My second question is, can you recommend a bulb arrangement? I'm not a fan of really blue tanks, but want to stay away from the really white/yellow looking tank as well.

Thanks!

8 lamp

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Blue Plus

That shouldn't look overly blue. The 75/25's are a tad pink so between them and the ivory green of the GE lamps you should end up with a bright tank with a nice tint of blue.

hello grim, iam new to T5s as of today,

iam deciding on a tank and i whant to use T5s and would like to keep SPS and a clam or two,

my first option is a 72g bowfront with a 4 bulb tek light

or a 90g with a 6 bulb tek light

even though theres ony 4 bulbs on the 72 sence its not as tall by afew inches dos that help a lot? iam gesing the 90 is to tall for clams on the sand but mabie on the rocks?

my mother likes the 72s bowfront, but i like all the room in the 90 and under it, so it comes down wich can keep the most coral

also wat bulb configuration would you suggest?
thanks

Hey Grim, You seem to be the person to ask here. I have a 60 x 28 (high) x 18 oceanic ,mixed with fish and softies. I want to purchase the Ati sunpower 6 bulb fixture. What bulb combo would you recommend .

I decided to remove my no t5s,

I am now setting up with 7 bulbs, 4 on 1 660 3 on the other. All have ice cap refectors.

What would be a good mix of bulbs for a 7 bulb set up?

I am thinking,

Blue +
10k uvl
aquablue special
super actinic uvl
aquablue special
procolor
Blue +

Blue + and super actinics will be onw one 660 to simulate dusk to dawn.

How do you think this will look?

I have a Aquactinics Tx5 5 bulb fixture and the bulbs that came with it needs to be replaced soon. I was wondering what bulbs and what combination is best. I have a 55 gallon tank that had fowlr and abot to start adding corals soon.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14183810#post14183810 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jasony816
I have a Aquactinics Tx5 5 bulb fixture and the bulbs that came with it needs to be replaced soon. I was wondering what bulbs and what combination is best. I have a 55 gallon tank that had fowlr and abot to start adding corals soon.

ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Aquasun
ATI Blue Plus or Aquablue

Use the Blue Plus if you want it to be bluer. The Aquablue really makes it brighter but less blue. I am not sure what order the lamps come on in the TX5 but try to get a Blue Plus and 75/25 coming on together for dusk dawn. Looks really cool that way

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14183778#post14183778 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jeremy Blaze

I am now setting up with 7 bulbs, 4 on 1 660 3 on the other. All have ice cap refectors.

I am thinking,

Blue +
10k uvl
aquablue special
super actinic uvl
aquablue special
procolor
Blue +

I would try to get the Pro Color more towards front center so it strikes the corals on their viewing side. I would also suggest the 75/25 instead of the Pro Color. Overall I like the combo but would also suggest this

ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Aquablue
UVL Aquasun
ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Aquablue

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14181664#post14181664 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by silence88
hello grim, iam new to T5s as of today,

iam deciding on a tank and i whant to use T5s and would like to keep SPS and a clam or two,

my first option is a 72g bowfront with a 4 bulb tek light

or a 90g with a 6 bulb tek light

even though theres ony 4 bulbs on the 72 sence its not as tall by afew inches dos that help a lot? iam gesing the 90 is to tall for clams on the sand but mabie on the rocks?

my mother likes the 72s bowfront, but i like all the room in the 90 and under it, so it comes down wich can keep the most coral

also wat bulb configuration would you suggest?
thanks

I do believe the 72 and 90 are the same height, 24".

do the 72 with an Aquactinics TX5 fixture,

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14182686#post14182686 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kenmx10
Hey Grim, You seem to be the person to ask here. I have a 60 x 28 (high) x 18 oceanic ,mixed with fish and softies. I want to purchase the Ati sunpower 6 bulb fixture. What bulb combo would you recommend .

Assuming you are getting the 48" fixture

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
UVL 75/25
ATI Blue Plus

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14183778#post14183778 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jeremy Blaze

I am thinking,

Blue +
10k uvl
aquablue special
super actinic uvl
aquablue special
procolor
Blue +

Shoule look slightly blue with a hint of purple in the blue.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14183810#post14183810 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jasony816

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
GE 6500K
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue

That will give you lamp 2 and 5 as dusk/dawn

thanks grim, but i think the bowfront is a little shorter than the 90 but i gess afew inches dont matter,

we dont have aquactinics here that i have ever seen just the sunlight supply tek T5s, is the tek an ok fixture?

and can i keep clams/SPS in the 72 with the 4 bulbs?

Hi Grimm. There is a lot of quality information in this post. I'm finally getting close enough to making the big purchases for my 300 gallon tank that I could use some advice on the best setup. The tank is 8' long, 30" wide, and 24" tall. I'm looking to keep mainly LPS and maybe dive into some SPS someday when I'm more comfortable with everything. Is there any way to stagger retrofit kits in the canopy to maximize light and reduce electrical costs? Any suggestions are appreciated... this is all sort of new to me on larger tanks. Thanks.

Does anyone know if I can run 2 VHOs and 2 T5s on the same 660 ballast? Just wondering, I am doing my wiring harness now, and didn't know.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14185803#post14185803 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by silence88
thanks grim, but i think the bowfront is a little shorter than the 90 but i gess afew inches dont matter,

we dont have aquactinics here that i have ever seen just the sunlight supply tek T5s, is the tek an ok fixture?

and can i keep clams/SPS in the 72 with the 4 bulbs?

Didn't notice you were in the great white north.

See if you can get the Azoo clamp on Fan arrays up there. the 2 fan version will work. You want it blowing across the center of the fixture from the back. Not pointed at the lamps. Horizontal or even a downward angle from a little above the fixture works best. Good for about a 20% increase in output. With that if you are careful you could do clams in the 72. Just don't but babbies in the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back