The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14188082#post14188082 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ehutchby
Grimm and others,
Thank you for taking the time to help... Like a couple threads above, I have set up a 48X24X24, however this tank is SPS dominated. I am looking for good growth.
I currently have a Coralife Aqualight pro fixture w/2 250W DE Mh. I trying to cool things down and not run the chiller.
I was looking at the ATI Powermodule 8x54W fixture. The 10x54W could fit.
I would like to keep my SPS in all areas of the tank, except the sand. Thoughts? Suggestons?

Would you recomend the same set up as below?

8 lamp

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Blue Plus

That shouldn't look overly blue. The 75/25's are a tad pink so between them and the ivory green of the GE lamps you should end up with a bright tank with a nice tint of blue.

Yep, should do well.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14189558#post14189558 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DheereCrossing
Just got a IceCap 24" 4 bulb T5 retro kit - prewired with 660 ballast and IceCap timer. Three questions:

1) A friend gave me four 'used up' bulbs to test the fixture with. There is no switch that I could find so when I plug in the ballast, it lights all four bulbs for a second, the ballast ticks and turns off.
Looked over the troubleshooting on the icecap site - right now I don't have another ballast or new bulbs but I'll order new bulbs next month.

2) Wiring the timer - I've got the power cords wires on the left side of the timer poles but would I pull the black, white, and green wires from the ballast wiring harness to attach into the timer? I don't see any other wires that seem to match the description on the timer's instructions.

3) What is the 4 pole harness plug used for on the side of the 660 ballast next to the fuse? Nothing came in the package that would fit there. Is it for an electronic switch?

If all 4 lamps flash and go out your ballast is likely bad. Hit the Ice Cap forum in the vendor's forums section and see if they have anything you can check.

If you have a timer that hardwires yeas, just match the colors. The spare plug on the ballast is for a dimmer which wont work with T5's so don't sweat it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14190865#post14190865 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by insanefishguy
Does anyone know if 2x54w AccuStart ballast will fire and overdrive 39w bulbs? I need to get the lighting over my 125 fixed. I have 2 2x54w Accustarts already and would love to just buy a 4x39 vho to add to it to get enough light over my tank. $359 is much better than spending $709 for the 8x39vho

A manufacture tried to run 39 watt lamps on a 54 watt ballast and the lamps died in less than 2 weeks. Not something I would try.

Thanks a million Grim. I guess I need to keep thinking and saving. If I were to put 24w bulbs next to the 54w bulbs of the same manufacture and spectrum next to each other, do you think the color will be close enough to not know the difference across the span of the tank?

I really can not afford to replace the lights completely.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14193951#post14193951 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by insanefishguy
Thanks a million Grim. I guess I need to keep thinking and saving. If I were to put 24w bulbs next to the 54w bulbs of the same manufacture and spectrum next to each other, do you think the color will be close enough to not know the difference across the span of the tank?

I really can not afford to replace the lights completely.

I doubt you would notice a difference.

I need help with lighting my new tank its 72x36x27high. sps and all t5, i plan to use two ati powermodules my question is which ones?

2- 6x80w
2- 8x80w
or 1- 6x80w ,1- 8x80w

And what would you reccomend for bulbs?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14194759#post14194759 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by teenfish
I need help with lighting my new tank its 72x36x27high. sps and all t5, i plan to use two ati powermodules my question is which ones?

2- 6x80w
2- 8x80w
or 1- 6x80w ,1- 8x80w

And what would you reccomend for bulbs?

2 6 lamp fixtures

Front
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Pro Color
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus

ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Pro Color
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus

SHould five you 4 blue plus for dusk/dawn.

Grim, I have a 6 bulb solar flare, and this is my bulb setup.

Front
Blue Plus
Uvl Super Actinic
ATI Pro Color
Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
Blue Plus

I dont feel like my colors are popping so much, also I think the bulb order is a little messed up. Can you recommend a bulb combination. Im about to order new bulbs.
Thanks Grim.

Grim -

What are your recommendations of 2 or 3 of the better T5 light fixtures. I notice the TEK is popular - but I find it odd that it is not actively cooled. I would think this lack of feature hurts it's output rating.

So what's your suggestion? Maybe a "Best bang for your buck" suggestion as well.

P.S. Probably considering 36" &/or 48" fixtures.

I have just ordered 1 in the replacement lamps for my ATI Powermodules. Have ordered the following 4 -- ATI Blue Plus 2 -- ATI 12000K Aquablue 1 -- ATI True Actinic 1 -- ATI Pro Color We have 2 4X80W units and lamps come on in pairs I have no idea what order to fit the lamps, anyone?? We cannot easily get 80W marine tubes in my country so have had to order from the US so its a bit of a guess to see if the mix of bulbs is right. If anyone is running this combination I would appreciate a picture Cheers
Grim Suggested as follows
You want the actinic and the Pro Color front of center so the light they produce strikes the viewing side of the corals. If you are using the two fixtures for 8 rows try this Front Blue Plus Aquablue Pro Color Blue Plus Actinic Blue Plus Aquablue Blue Plus That should allow you to turn on the actinic/blue plus on the rear fixture, then add the two blue pluses on the front fixture, then the blus plus/aquablue on the rear fixture and Pro Color and Aquablue on the front fixture for a nice ramp up to full lights. You may prefer to bring in the Pro Color sooner and use the two Aquablues for the last on, depends on your personal taste.
Thanks for all the advice.
Heres how it looks with the new tubes, apologies for crappy pictures
P1190128.JPG

P1190129.JPG

P1190130.JPG

4 -- ATI Blue Plus
2 -- ATI 12000K Aquablue
1 -- ATI True Actinic
1 -- ATI Pro Color

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14196200#post14196200 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Montezuma
Grim, I have a 6 bulb solar flare, and this is my bulb setup.

Front
Blue Plus
Uvl Super Actinic
ATI Pro Color
Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
Blue Plus

I dont feel like my colors are popping so much, also I think the bulb order is a little messed up. Can you recommend a bulb combination. Im about to order new bulbs.
Thanks Grim.

ATI Blue Plus
UVL Aquasun
ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue

Try to have a Blue Plus and 75/25 or Aquablue for dusk/dawn. I don't know the firing order on a solar Flare

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14196238#post14196238 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FranktheTankTx
Grim -

What are your recommendations of 2 or 3 of the better T5 light fixtures. I notice the TEK is popular - but I find it odd that it is not actively cooled. I would think this lack of feature hurts it's output rating.

So what's your suggestion? Maybe a "Best bang for your buck" suggestion as well.

P.S. Probably considering 36" &/or 48" fixtures.

#1 is the ATI Powermodule. Expensive but very good.

#2 ATI Sunpower. Very good fixture for the price. This is probably the best bang for your buck option.

#3 Constellation. Comparable to the ATI Sunpower

That would be my top 3 for you. The TEK is not actively cooled but that is an easy fix. Go to foster and smith and buy the Azoo clamp on fan. Have it blow on the fixture. Not at the lamps. It increases output about 20%.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14196277#post14196277 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ganjero
how would arrange 3 blue +, one super actinic, 1 uvl aquasun, and 1 ge 6500?

Depends on firing order. Try to have the super actinic and a blue plus come on together for dusk dawn.

Blue Plus
Super Actinc
UVL Aquasun
Blue Plus
Blue Plus

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14196696#post14196696 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rtparty
#1 is the ATI Powermodule. Expensive but very good.

#2 ATI Sunpower. Very good fixture for the price. This is probably the best bang for your buck option.

#3 Constellation. Comparable to the ATI Sunpower

That would be my top 3 for you. The TEK is not actively cooled but that is an easy fix. Go to foster and smith and buy the Azoo clamp on fan. Have it blow on the fixture. Not at the lamps. It increases output about 20%.
Where are these fixtures found - some of the normal online stores such as Marine Depot, AquaCave, etc don't seem to have them.

Is the ATI Sunpower even available yet?

I have 12 36" t5 with geismann bulbs over my 30" deep 72" long mixed reef tank they are fired by 3 icecap 660's and have icecap reflectors what bulbs would you recommend? What's the best way to clean reflectors?
my current bulbs are(per side)
2-actinic plus
2-aquablue plus
2-midday 6000k

heres a pic
Tankpics019.jpg

Fishpics145.jpg

Thanks Phil

If you had to choose bulbs from the list here for a Tx5 what would go with??

ATI Aquablue Special
Koralin Zucht Coral Lights
UVL Aquasun
ATI Actinic
Geisman AquaBlue plus
GE 6500

I am setting up a new tank that can only fit a 3 bulb T5 retrofit, powered by an IC660. The tank will be mostly sps, can anyone suggest which 3 bulbs I should go with?

Thanks

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14199974#post14199974 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FranktheTankTx
Where are these fixtures found - some of the normal online stores such as Marine Depot, AquaCave, etc don't seem to have them.

Is the ATI Sunpower even available yet?

The ATI's can be found on Reefgeek. That is the best store to look for those. They will have the Sunpower sometime later this month. They are also getting the Constellations soon.

Go to Google and look for the constellation. I think AquaCave has Constellation but they are back ordered right now.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14200216#post14200216 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pontiac2002gtp
I have 12 36" t5 with geismann bulbs over my 30" deep 72" long mixed reef tank they are fired by 3 icecap 660's and have icecap reflectors what bulbs would you recommend? What's the best way to clean reflectors?
my current bulbs are(per side)
2-actinic plus
2-aquablue plus
2-midday 6000k

heres a pic
Tankpics019.jpg

Fishpics145.jpg

Thanks Phil

ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Aquasun or GE 6500K