The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14186589#post14186589 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zlwags85
Hi Grimm. There is a lot of quality information in this post. I'm finally getting close enough to making the big purchases for my 300 gallon tank that I could use some advice on the best setup. The tank is 8' long, 30" wide, and 24" tall. I'm looking to keep mainly LPS and maybe dive into some SPS someday when I'm more comfortable with everything. Is there any way to stagger retrofit kits in the canopy to maximize light and reduce electrical costs? Any suggestions are appreciated... this is all sort of new to me on larger tanks. Thanks.

2 48" retros should fit in end to end. With the endcaps on it they are slightly less than 48" long, bout 47.5 I believe.

I would do 6 rows of 2 x 54 watt T5's.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14186991#post14186991 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fireworm
Does anyone know if I can run 2 VHOs and 2 T5s on the same 660 ballast? Just wondering, I am doing my wiring harness now, and didn't know.

As long as they are 4 foot lamps or shorter.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14184875#post14184875 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
GE 6500K
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue

That will give you lamp 2 and 5 as dusk/dawn

The firing order is 1-3-5 and 2-4 I believe what is difference between both recommendations of bulb combinations? What type of timing cyce should I have them on?

Kind regards
Jason

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14187252#post14187252 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jasony816
The firing order is 1-3-5 and 2-4 I believe what is difference between both recommendations of bulb combinations? What type of timing cyce should I have them on?

Kind regards
Jason

Tep

10~12 hours for the dusk/dawn 8~10 for the rest.

Hi Grim,

2 questions about the sunpower. on the 6 bulb unit how many power cords and what order do they come on?

If i did 2 x 6 bulb units over my 36inch deep (back to front) would there be a low light area when they units meet in the middle?

thanks

I have never put my lights on any type of schedules, what do I need and how do I set it because I have been doing it manually.

Kind regards
Jason

Keeper of the T5 -

I have a Nova Etreme 2x24w brand new fixture (individual reflectors). I plan on replacing stock bulbs with:

UV Actinic White
ATI Blue Plus

How would you rate this fixture w/ said bulb configuration over:

15g (24"x12.5"x12.5")

or

26g bow (24"x15"x21")

I really would prefer the 26g bow - but I'm concerned it's too deep for just 2x24w. Let me say, this is only a planted display refugium holding xenia, a few mushrooms, zoo's, halimeda, GSP. No SPS. Would it suffice? Or is the 15g best?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14187367#post14187367 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snaza
Hi Grim,

2 questions about the sunpower. on the 6 bulb unit how many power cords and what order do they come on?

If i did 2 x 6 bulb units over my 36inch deep (back to front) would there be a low light area when they units meet in the middle?

thanks

3 cords, 2 for lights 1 fan. These have about a 1 inch flare in the edge of the housing so you would have a 2" gap between reflectors where they meet. I don't really think you would notice a dim spot at all.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14187591#post14187591 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jasony816
I have never put my lights on any type of schedules, what do I need and how do I set it because I have been doing it manually.

Kind regards
Jason

2 Appliance timers. Set one for 10AM to 10 PM for the dusk/dawn pair and set thge other from 11AM to 9PM. Or whatever time suites you.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14187838#post14187838 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FranktheTankTx
Keeper of the T5 -

I have a Nova Etreme 2x24w brand new fixture (individual reflectors). I plan on replacing stock bulbs with:

UV Actinic White
ATI Blue Plus

How would you rate this fixture w/ said bulb configuration over:

15g (24"x12.5"x12.5")

or

26g bow (24"x15"x21")

I really would prefer the 26g bow - but I'm concerned it's too deep for just 2x24w. Let me say, this is only a planted display refugium holding xenia, a few mushrooms, zoo's, halimeda, GSP. No SPS. Would it suffice? Or is the 15g best?

Need 4 lamps for the 26, 2 would work for the 15.

Grimm and others,
Thank you for taking the time to help... Like a couple threads above, I have set up a 48X24X24, however this tank is SPS dominated. I am looking for good growth.
I currently have a Coralife Aqualight pro fixture w/2 250W DE Mh. I trying to cool things down and not run the chiller.
I was looking at the ATI Powermodule 8x54W fixture. The 10x54W could fit.
I would like to keep my SPS in all areas of the tank, except the sand. Thoughts? Suggestons?

Would you recomend the same set up as below?

8 lamp

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Blue Plus

That shouldn't look overly blue. The 75/25's are a tad pink so between them and the ivory green of the GE lamps you should end up with a bright tank with a nice tint of blue.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14183778#post14183778 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jeremy Blaze
I decided to remove my no t5s,

I am now setting up with 7 bulbs, 4 on 1 660 3 on the other. All have ice cap refectors.

What would be a good mix of bulbs for a 7 bulb set up?

I am thinking,

Blue +
10k uvl
aquablue special
super actinic uvl
aquablue special
procolor
Blue +

Blue + and super actinics will be onw one 660 to simulate dusk to dawn.

How do you think this will look?

I'd try to get one more Blue+ in that array, maybe ditch one of the Aquablue Specials. As presented, your selection is going to be very white and will tend to wash out any brightly colored corals you may plan on keeping, IME (providing your nutrients are low). I'd also keep that array, with so much white and overdriven to boot, fairly high above the water, particularly if you plan on keeping zoas or any LPS toward the bottomâ€"with that many white tubes, they're gunna be ticked off but good in all odds. I only have 2 white tubes (Aquablue Specials) out of 10 bulbs in my Powermodule, and in a 21" tall tank with a 1" sandbed, my zoas really only flourish under rocks in the shade, and my Grandis Palys on the sandbed are ticked and won't fully open...

It really is true what they say about the water penetration capabilities of T5's...!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14188082#post14188082 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ehutchby
Grimm and others,
Thank you for taking the time to help... Like a couple threads above, I have set up a 48X24X24, however this tank is SPS dominated. I am looking for good growth.
I currently have a Coralife Aqualight pro fixture w/2 250W DE Mh. I trying to cool things down and not run the chiller.
I was looking at the ATI Powermodule 8x54W fixture. The 10x54W could fit.
I would like to keep my SPS in all areas of the tank, except the sand. Thoughts? Suggestons?

Would you recomend the same set up as below?

8 lamp

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Blue Plus

That shouldn't look overly blue. The 75/25's are a tad pink so between them and the ivory green of the GE lamps you should end up with a bright tank with a nice tint of blue.

Yeah, I think that sounds like a marvelous combo. If the colors don't POP enough for you, I'd think about replacing the 6500K's with UVL 10K's or Aquablue Specials, but everyone is so different, and color is so subjective, you may love the 6500K's, particularly since you are looking for good growth...

Personally, I'd go for the 10 bulb PM and add two UVL actinics, but then I really adore high color POP over all else...

Just got a IceCap 24" 4 bulb T5 retro kit - prewired with 660 ballast and IceCap timer. Three questions:

1) A friend gave me four 'used up' bulbs to test the fixture with. There is no switch that I could find so when I plug in the ballast, it lights all four bulbs for a second, the ballast ticks and turns off.
Looked over the troubleshooting on the icecap site - right now I don't have another ballast or new bulbs but I'll order new bulbs next month.

2) Wiring the timer - I've got the power cords wires on the left side of the timer poles but would I pull the black, white, and green wires from the ballast wiring harness to attach into the timer? I don't see any other wires that seem to match the description on the timer's instructions.

3) What is the 4 pole harness plug used for on the side of the 660 ballast next to the fuse? Nothing came in the package that would fit there. Is it for an electronic switch?

Does anyone know if 2x54w AccuStart ballast will fire and overdrive 39w bulbs? I need to get the lighting over my 125 fixed. I have 2 2x54w Accustarts already and would love to just buy a 4x39 vho to add to it to get enough light over my tank. $359 is much better than spending $709 for the 8x39vho

I installed my new t5 bulbs today, arranged per Grim's recommendation....

The tank looks phenomonal - color couldn't be more perfect, colors pop, it's like having a new tank all over again - I can't stop starting at it.

Thanks!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14187990#post14187990 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jasony816
Thanks, do you know where should I get the suggested lamps from with the best prices?

Kind regards
Jason

Usually reefgeek.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back