The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI GRIM ; WHICH BULB ORDER SHOULD I USE?

HI GRIM ; WHICH BULB ORDER SHOULD I USE?

I just ordered this retrofit kit, 48" 4x54W SLR item # CI0049 from the Reefgeek. I also ordered these bulbs, ATI blue plus, UVL 75/25, ATI Aqua sun and ATI Blue plus. Which order should I put them in starting from front to back? Also, which order for dusk to dawn? I have a 75RR Gallon tank.

Last edited:
Re: Re: new tank getting set up. a question

Re: Re: new tank getting set up. a question

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14405210#post14405210 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
I wouldn't try SPS in a 24" tall tank with the Pro, you just don't have much margin for error unless you keep the SPS on top of the rocks. If you try it use the mix you list except use a Aquablue instead of the Super Actinic, you'll need the extra PAR.

What fixture would you recommend for this tank? I am thinking an 8 bulb fixture, but am unsure.

Thanks

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14405177#post14405177 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
Do 3 ATI Aquablues and a Fiji Purple. The Aquablues ate ice white with a slight amount of blue. With the slight purple of the fiju lamp you should be looking like 10K halide with good actinics running.

Thanks Grim, do you think the 24" 4x24w ATI Powermodule is good enough for the Solana tank? 20x20x20?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14405150#post14405150 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
First hit reefgeek for the retros, for an extra 10 bux per retro kit you get to select your lamps, I wouldn't use current brand lamps on Ice Cap ballasts.

What you can do is get 1 VHO T5 retro (with IC Ballast) and set up 2 rows of lamps side by side and mount those over the area where you want clams or even SPS down lower in the tank and use the Ice Cap HO retros (Spec T5 Ballasts) for the rest of the tank. I must Have been thinking 30" tall. 10 rows of lamps should work on that setup. You could go with 4 rows over driven IC VHO T5's back over the front edge of the rock work/rear of the sandbed then use 4 rows of HO Tek II T5 retros (Wider Reflectors) over the rest. Thats 22" of illumination front to back. With the lamp array centered you will be stylin for about anything you want to raise.

Front
HO
HO
VHO
VHO
VHO
VHO
HO
HO

If you have enough timers you can set it up so the HO lamps turn on one row at a time (2 lamps per ballast) and 2 rows at a shot for the VHO's. Should be cool as far as a ramp up to full lighting.

Alright - you lost me there. It looks like there are 2 different options that my brain is trying to weld together.

Option 1. 2 rows (8ft long) of VHO (Icecap Ballasts) and 8 rows of HO (icecap) and put the VHO aproximately where I want the clams/SPS some day. (total of 10 rows)

48" 4x54W SLR T5 High-Output Retrofit Kit w/ Bulbs X4 (299 ea)
48" 4x54W SLR T5 Very High-Output Retrofit Kit w/ Bulbs X1 (359 ea)
TOTAL: 1555(plus shipping)

Option 2. 4 rows (8ft long) of VHO (Icecap Ballasts) and and 4 rows of Tek II HO. (total of 8 rows)

48" 4x54W SLR T5 Very High-Output Retrofit Kit w/ Bulbs X2 (359 ea)
48" 4x54W Tek 2 T5 High-Output Retrofit Kit w/ Bulbs X2 (299 ea)
TOTAL: 1316(plus shipping)

Is this what you are saying and if it is, which one is "better".... I know that is a judgement, but you are the expert! I appreciate the help and suggestions. The phasing in of the lights would be pretty sweet... I will have to work on getting enough timers or a controller than can handle it!

Thanks again!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14391537#post14391537 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
I'd go with the constellation, the ATI's would be a little overkill unless you plan 100% SPS.

Front
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus

Should be vivid blue and have plenty of umph for growth.

I'm trying to figure out this comment. The original post was about a 75g 48x18x20 tank, which is the same as I'm setting up. He asked about the constellation, the sunpower and powermodule.

You say that the SunPower is overkill...in what way? Too bright with less lamps? It's significantly cheaper than the Constellation, from the prices I can find.

Just curious about the comment, as I'm hunting down ideas for my tank as well.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14406566#post14406566 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chrisfowler99
I'm trying to figure out this comment. The original post was about a 75g 48x18x20 tank, which is the same as I'm setting up. He asked about the constellation, the sunpower and powermodule.

You say that the SunPower is overkill...in what way? Too bright with less lamps? It's significantly cheaper than the Constellation, from the prices I can find.

The ATI fixtures are the best available. With the active cooling and great reflectors they kill the competition.

If you went with a 6 bulb Sunpower over a 75 you couldn't keep shrooms and other softies very happy unless they were in caves and being shaded.

So if your tank is mostly SPS then the Sunpower is great for that. You could also run a lower PAR setup if you absolutely want the Sunpower. I personally think the Sunpower is the best bang for your buck but they are hard to find. You have to call Reefgeek and see if they have any left in stock.

Grim,

i just ordered an icecap660 with icecap slr individual reflectors. I have a standard 75g gallon with lps and softies on the bottom. What would the best four bulb setup be? I am not running dusk/dawn now as i only have the one ballast. I would also like some sps in the future. Oh yeah and What should I do to keep from shocking my corals as right now I just have 130w of 1 year old pc's. Thanks

Matt

Hiya Grim and thanks for such amazing information. I have the 6 bulb, Tek5 fixture above my standard 75 gallon tank. The fixture is 2 years old and it's time to order my 3rd set of bulbs for it. In the past, these are the bulbs I've always had in it, based on your and Greg at ReefGeeks suggestions, in the order listed:
Bulb Order:
ATI 54W Blue Plus T5 HO Fluorescent
UV Lighting 54W Super Actinic T5 HO Fluorescent
ATI 54W 12000K Aquablue Special T5 HO Fluorescent
GE 54W 3000K Daylight T5 HO Fluorescent
UV Lighting 54W 10000K AquaSun T5 HO Fluorescent

To my eye, this has always appeared just a bit too blue for me. Not much, just a tad. The tank is predominately SPS and clams (2 Croceas and 1 Maxima), lots of SPS. I do have some LPS and Zoanthids down low.

I'd like the best bulb recommendation for good growth and possibly just a tad less blue than the above list. If the above list is what's going to provide me the best growth though, I'd rather have good growth than a less blue look.

Also, I'd like the highest PAR ratings I can get, while still retaining a slight blue look. If the PAR rating is too high for the few LPS in the tank, they can be moved to another tank, making room for more SPS...lol. I guess what I'm asking for is a bulb list recommendation that will provide good growth and still allow the colors to pop...lol. I'm at your mercy!!

I have never ran a fan on this fixture and am considering it, to increase PAR. Any specific recommendation?

Also, what would your suggestions be about eventually replacing the 4 bulb ballast with an Icecap to overdrive those 4 bulbs?

Thanks so much for your very valuable information!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14407802#post14407802 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rtparty
The ATI fixtures are the best available. With the active cooling and great reflectors they kill the competition.

If you went with a 6 bulb Sunpower over a 75 you couldn't keep shrooms and other softies very happy unless they were in caves and being shaded.

So if your tank is mostly SPS then the Sunpower is great for that. You could also run a lower PAR setup if you absolutely want the Sunpower. I personally think the Sunpower is the best bang for your buck but they are hard to find. You have to call Reefgeek and see if they have any left in stock.

Ok...that's what I wanted to confirm.

It's just rare when the cheaper version of something is mentioned as "overkill." :D

I have contacted Reefgeek. First shipment is sold out. Second shipment is 4 weeks out (ish)...

I'm just setting up my tank, so I'm trying to figure out how that timing works with what I'm doing.

Grim,

I have a 36 inch Current USA SunDial T5 HO 4x39W and am upgrading to a 70 gallon tank that is 24 inches tall. My question is would this light fixture be good enough to keep sps as close to the top as possible, and if so what bulb combo. If you don't think this fixture is good enough what would you suggest upgrading to. Thanks

Im going to be using an icecap 8x80 retro. How many fans should I get for this setup? Should I just get the ones off reefgeeks site, or are there better fans out there?

Re: HI GRIM ; WHICH BULB ORDER SHOULD I USE?

Re: HI GRIM ; WHICH BULB ORDER SHOULD I USE?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14405644#post14405644 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JOESWOODWORKS
I just ordered this retrofit kit, 48" 4x54W SLR item # CI0049 from the Reefgeek. I also ordered these bulbs, ATI blue plus, UVL 75/25, ATI Aqua sun and ATI Blue plus. Which order should I put them in starting from front to back? Also, which order for dusk to dawn? I have a 75RR Gallon tank.

Front
Blue Plus
75/25
Aquasun
Blue Plus

Run the front 2 lamps as dusk/dawn.

Re: Re: Re: new tank getting set up. a question

Re: Re: Re: new tank getting set up. a question

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14405705#post14405705 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Crawf71
What fixture would you recommend for this tank? I am thinking an 8 bulb fixture, but am unsure.

Thanks

For serious SPS I would go with the 8 lamp Power Module.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14406097#post14406097 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ChrisMc73
Thanks Grim, do you think the 24" 4x24w ATI Powermodule is good enough for the Solana tank? 20x20x20?

Yes, as long as you don't plan a full blown SPS tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14406113#post14406113 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zlwags85
Alright - you lost me there. It looks like there are 2 different options that my brain is trying to weld together.

Option 1. 2 rows (8ft long) of VHO (Icecap Ballasts) and 8 rows of HO (icecap) and put the VHO aproximately where I want the clams/SPS some day. (total of 10 rows)

48" 4x54W SLR T5 High-Output Retrofit Kit w/ Bulbs X4 (299 ea)
48" 4x54W SLR T5 Very High-Output Retrofit Kit w/ Bulbs X1 (359 ea)
TOTAL: 1555(plus shipping)

Option 2. 4 rows (8ft long) of VHO (Icecap Ballasts) and and 4 rows of Tek II HO. (total of 8 rows)

48" 4x54W SLR T5 Very High-Output Retrofit Kit w/ Bulbs X2 (359 ea)
48" 4x54W Tek 2 T5 High-Output Retrofit Kit w/ Bulbs X2 (299 ea)
TOTAL: 1316(plus shipping)

Is this what you are saying and if it is, which one is "better".... I know that is a judgement, but you are the expert! I appreciate the help and suggestions. The phasing in of the lights would be pretty sweet... I will have to work on getting enough timers or a controller than can handle it!

Thanks again!

Best depends on what you want to concentrate on. If you just want a few clams to go with LPS and softies using the 2 rows of overdriven lamps with the 8 normally driven rows. If you want more high light critters then the 4 rows overdriven is better

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14406566#post14406566 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chrisfowler99

Sunpower his a lot of output for a tank with softies in it. You could use a couple actinics to tone things down a bit but I like the option of the 7th lamp myself.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14407928#post14407928 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by half5.0
Grim,

i just ordered an icecap660 with icecap slr individual reflectors. I have a standard 75g gallon with lps and softies on the bottom. What would the best four bulb setup be? I am not running dusk/dawn now as i only have the one ballast. I would also like some sps in the future. Oh yeah and What should I do to keep from shocking my corals as right now I just have 130w of 1 year old pc's. Thanks

Matt

ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14408424#post14408424 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by returnofsid
Hiya Grim and thanks for such amazing information. I have the 6 bulb, Tek5 fixture above my standard 75 gallon tank. The fixture is 2 years old and it's time to order my 3rd set of bulbs for it. In the past, these are the bulbs I've always had in it, based on your and Greg at ReefGeeks suggestions, in the order listed:
Bulb Order:
UV Lighting 54W Super Actinic T5 HO Fluorescent
ATI 54W 12000K Aquablue Special T5 HO Fluorescent
GE 54W 3000K Daylight T5 HO Fluorescent
UV Lighting 54W 10000K AquaSun T5 HO Fluorescent

To my eye, this has always appeared just a bit too blue for me. Not much, just a tad. The tank is predominately SPS and clams (2 Croceas and 1 Maxima), lots of SPS. I do have some LPS and Zoanthids down low.

I'd like the best bulb recommendation for good growth and possibly just a tad less blue than the above list. If the above list is what's going to provide me the best growth though, I'd rather have good growth than a less blue look.

Also, I'd like the highest PAR ratings I can get, while still retaining a slight blue look. If the PAR rating is too high for the few LPS in the tank, they can be moved to another tank, making room for more SPS...lol. I guess what I'm asking for is a bulb list recommendation that will provide good growth and still allow the colors to pop...lol. I'm at your mercy!!

I have never ran a fan on this fixture and am considering it, to increase PAR. Any specific recommendation?

Also, what would your suggestions be about eventually replacing the 4 bulb ballast with an Icecap to overdrive those 4 bulbs?

Thanks so much for your very valuable information!!

Front
ATI Aquablue
UVL 75/25
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
UVL Actinic White
ATI Blue Plus

The 75/25 and Actinic White will replace the red you get from the GE 3000K, the 6500K/ Actinic White and 75/25 are all pretty bright so the appearance of the tank should be brighter if maybe not too much whiter than you have now.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14409265#post14409265 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crigsby
Grim,

I have a 36 inch Current USA SunDial T5 HO 4x39W and am upgrading to a 70 gallon tank that is 24 inches tall. My question is would this light fixture be good enough to keep sps as close to the top as possible, and if so what bulb combo. If you don't think this fixture is good enough what would you suggest upgrading to. Thanks

That will work as long as the SPS is close to the top.

ATI Blue Plus
KZ Fiji Purple
GE 6500K Daylight.
ATI Blue Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back