The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grim,

Just need a quick 6-lamp to 5-lamp conversion. I have a buddy that is converting to a T5 setup and wants something comparable to my 6-lamp color combo. Both are 60" and I have some spare ATI lamps to swap in/out if needed. I didn't know if a Pro Color would be too much for a 5-lamp combo.

My setup:
- 180g AGA
- 2x Icecap 660s
- 60" Tek2 reflectors

BACK
Blue Plus
Aquablue
Pro Color
Blue Plus
Blue Plus
FRONT

His setup:
- 80g (72"x13"x20")
- Icecap 430 and Icecap 660 (already has them)
- I recommended 5 of the Reefgeek reflectors (60" long, 2.5" wide)

[Need combo recommendations]

Edit: Would 4 lamps be enough on that tank if he's looking at getting more SPS? or do you recommend 5 lamps since he has the ballasts to drive them anyway?

Thanks,

Alan

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14413563#post14413563 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chippy70
Hi,

I will be choosing ATI as my lighting choice in a 8x80w. Question is what is the difference between the PM and the Sunpower.

Do you get the bang for the extra bit of money. My Tank is a 60wx24w28d.??

also can you direct me in bulb choice for this for my tank. I would like to have the oppunity to have any type of coral in my system.

Cheers

As MBVette stated, the Sunpower only comes in 4 and 6 bulb fixtures. You could get by with only 6 bulbs over 24", depending on how little or how much rock you have and your aquascaping, but it probably won't be ideal for SPS and light lovers. The 8 bulb Powermodule would be a better choice if you anticipate SPS or high light loving corals, and will give you a wider growing area (depending again on your rock formations).

MBVette & Todd March,

Thankyou for your replys, all clear now on my choice, the PM it is.

And regards to bulb choice?
and is it possible to have moon lights in this light fixture?

Searched through the thread and didn't find any that fit ... took awhile too, this thread is getting long ;-) Anyway, I just bought a 195g 60x30x25 tank that I want to setup as a mixed reef with possibly clams. I'm thinking about getting an ATI 8x80W PM. Will this be enough light for the tank? do I need the 10x80W or could I get away with a 6x80w?

Secondly, are the bulbs provided by ATI a good value or should I get it without bulbs and use one of grim's suggested setups?

Thanks!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14413563#post14413563 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chippy70
Hi,

I will be choosing ATI as my lighting choice in a 8x80w. Question is what is the difference between the PM and the Sunpower.

Do you get the bang for the extra bit of money. My Tank is a 60wx24w28d.??

also can you direct me in bulb choice for this for my tank. I would like to have the oppunity to have any type of coral in my system.

Cheers

I'd do the Powermodule. It is a little better according to the folks at ATI. You want all the PAR you can get.

Front
ATI Blue Plus
KZ Fiji Purple
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
KZ Fiji Purple
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus

Re: AquaticLife T5HO

Re: AquaticLife T5HO

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14413684#post14413684 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LuvAngels88
Hi Grim,

What do you think about the 48 Inch 4x54 Watt AquaticLife T5 HO Light Fixture W/ 4 Lunar LEDs?

Thanks for your help!

No nothing about them. Maybe someone in the Denver area will buy one so I can get my hands on it for a test :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14414736#post14414736 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ChrisMc73
Grim,
Can you post a picture of that light combo? I would love to see it.
Do you think this combo you've suggested is too white, and not enough blue for anything to thrive?

Jenny, is that you? :D

Didn't play with the camera settings but amazingly the color of the light is pretty accurate but the brightness level is off. Dusk/dawn is more subdued than the pic shows and the corals look more vivid in person

Dusk/Dawn
DD3.jpg

All on (BP 75/25 BP Actinic White BP BP)
FullLight3.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14414760#post14414760 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ChrisMc73
I was planning a mixed reef tank. I have no idea how I will take to this new hobby, never done the "reef" before. So I don't know if I like SPS/LPS, softies etc...I know I like fish. So there will be fish. Full Blown SPS? Not sure, not planned, but not sure?

What would be the issue with this fixture if I did?

If you hang the light up high you can always lower it if you decide to keep high light critters, kinda hard to go the other way.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14415439#post14415439 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by alanmorehead
Grim,

Just need a quick 6-lamp to 5-lamp conversion. I have a buddy that is converting to a T5 setup and wants something comparable to my 6-lamp color combo. Both are 60" and I have some spare ATI lamps to swap in/out if needed. I didn't know if a Pro Color would be too much for a 5-lamp combo.

My setup:
- 180g AGA
- 2x Icecap 660s
- 60" Tek2 reflectors

BACK
Blue Plus
Aquablue
Pro Color
Blue Plus
Blue Plus
FRONT

His setup:
- 80g (72"x13"x20")
- Icecap 430 and Icecap 660 (already has them)
- I recommended 5 of the Reefgeek reflectors (60" long, 2.5" wide)

[Need combo recommendations]

Edit: Would 4 lamps be enough on that tank if he's looking at getting more SPS? or do you recommend 5 lamps since he has the ballasts to drive them anyway?

Thanks,

Alan

4 lamps will work

Front
ATI Blue Plus
KZ Fiji Purple
GE 6500K
ATI Blue Plus

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14416033#post14416033 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PUParrothead
Searched through the thread and didn't find any that fit ... took awhile too, this thread is getting long ;-) Anyway, I just bought a 195g 60x30x25 tank that I want to setup as a mixed reef with possibly clams. I'm thinking about getting an ATI 8x80W PM. Will this be enough light for the tank? do I need the 10x80W or could I get away with a 6x80w?

Secondly, are the bulbs provided by ATI a good value or should I get it without bulbs and use one of grim's suggested setups?

Thanks!

Personally I would do 10 lamps.

I think someone here has a 10 lamp PM running, is that you Todd.

Anyway

Front
ATI Blue Plus
KZ Fiji Purple
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Pro Color
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
KZ Fiji Purple
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus

Maybe someone else will chime in

Just an FYI for everyone. After doing quite a bit of research on the TEK T5 Retrofits, the new versions now have a T5 ballast not that workhorse ballast and new reflectors.

I just ordered a 2-buld set from BulkReefSupply after I sent an email to them about Sunlight Supply having the new ballast listed and they had the workhorse ballast listed. They replied that it is indeed a T5 ballast and are the latest kits, the website is now corrected to show this.

Got the 48" DIY kit with reflectors, ballast, WP endcaps, standoff, etc. PLUS two Giesemann Powerchrome Actinic+ for just under $140. Not a bad price at all since parted out the reflectos and bulbs would cost $100+ alone.

Cheers again for Grim, Todd and everyone sharing the knowledge...keep it up!

Hey Grim, I've been using various t5's for a few years now and I was looking for some advice. My tank is 72x24x24 mixed reef with sps from the middle to the top. I had been using reefgeek's tek II t5 ho retrofit kit with this configuration and got great growth.
front
UVL super actinic
ATI Blue plus
ATI Aquablue special
GE 6500k daylight
ATI Blue plus
ATI Aquablue special
Rear

For the last 6 months I switched to 2 icecap 660's and kept the reflectors with this configuration.
Front
ATI Pro color
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue+
ATI Pro Color
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue+
Rear

I like the color of the new bulbs, but I think I'm missing some pop from lack of actinic bulbs. If I were to add 1 more bulb to each ballast, for a total of 2, which should I add and in what order? Feel free to change any or all of my bulbs. I listed the old and new bulbs to show how my preference changed and what direction I took the tank in.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14417233#post14417233 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jc1of2
Hey Grim, I've been using various t5's for a few years now and I was looking for some advice. My tank is 72x24x24 mixed reef with sps from the middle to the top. I had been using reefgeek's tek II t5 ho retrofit kit with this configuration and got great growth.
front
UVL super actinic
ATI Blue plus
ATI Aquablue special
GE 6500k daylight
ATI Blue plus
ATI Aquablue special
Rear

For the last 6 months I switched to 2 icecap 660's and kept the reflectors with this configuration.
Front
ATI Pro color
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue+
ATI Pro Color
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue+
Rear

I like the color of the new bulbs, but I think I'm missing some pop from lack of actinic bulbs. If I were to add 1 more bulb to each ballast, for a total of 2, which should I add and in what order? Feel free to change any or all of my bulbs. I listed the old and new bulbs to show how my preference changed and what direction I took the tank in.

Add a Blue Plus and UVL Super Actinic

ATI Blue Plus Ballast 1
UVL Super Actinic Ballast 1
ATI Aquablue Ballast 2
ATI Pro Color Ballast 2
ATI Blue Plus Ballast 1
ATI Pro Color Ballast 2
ATI Aquablue Ballast 2
ATI Blue Plus Ballast 1

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14409681#post14409681 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
Sunpower his a lot of output for a tank with softies in it. You could use a couple actinics to tone things down a bit but I like the option of the 7th lamp myself.

What bulb combination would you recommend on an ATI Sunpower on a standard 75g tank, assuming actinics to tone things down a bit?

The price difference, Sunpower versus Constellation is pretty hard to absorb...Hell, the price difference between the Sunpower and the Nova Extreme Pro is pretty hard to absorb...going to the Constellation would be a double jump. :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14417386#post14417386 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by smleee
4 Bulb Suggestion:

Blue Plus, Super Actinic, Aquasun, Blue Plus
http://tfivetesting.googlepages.com/combinatio

Still applicable? I have the old Current Nova Extreme - no SLRs...

Thanks

I would run:

ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25 or KZ Fiji Purple
ATI Aquablue or GE 6500k
ATI Blue Plus

Depends on how much PAR you need. With that fixture you need higher PAR bulbs IMO.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14417743#post14417743 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chrisfowler99
What bulb combination would you recommend on an ATI Sunpower on a standard 75g tank, assuming actinics to tone things down a bit?

The price difference, Sunpower versus Constellation is pretty hard to absorb...Hell, the price difference between the Sunpower and the Nova Extreme Pro is pretty hard to absorb...going to the Constellation would be a double jump. :D

ATI Blue Plus
UVL Super Actinic
ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25 or ATI Pro Color
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14418490#post14418490 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rtparty
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Super Actinic
ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25 or ATI Pro Color
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue

What's the major difference between the UVL 75/25 and the ATI Pro Color?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14417069#post14417069 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bbl_nk
Just an FYI for everyone. After doing quite a bit of research on the TEK T5 Retrofits, the new versions now have a T5 ballast not that workhorse ballast and new reflectors.

I just ordered a 2-buld set from BulkReefSupply after I sent an email to them about Sunlight Supply having the new ballast listed and they had the workhorse ballast listed. They replied that it is indeed a T5 ballast and are the latest kits, the website is now corrected to show this.

Got the 48" DIY kit with reflectors, ballast, WP endcaps, standoff, etc. PLUS two Giesemann Powerchrome Actinic+ for just under $140. Not a bad price at all since parted out the reflectos and bulbs would cost $100+ alone.

Cheers again for Grim, Todd and everyone sharing the knowledge...keep it up!

When your stuff arrives measure the width of the reflectors and let us know. Also brand of ballast would be nice to know.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14417233#post14417233 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jc1of2
front
UVL super actinic
ATI Blue plus
ATI Aquablue special
GE 6500k daylight
ATI Blue plus
ATI Aquablue special
Rear

Front
ATI Pro color
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue+
ATI Pro Color
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue+
Rear

I think your lamp positioning is at least part of the problem.

Front
Blue Plus
Aquablue
Pro Color
Blue Plus
Pro Color
Aquablue

Try that before replacing lamps

Front
ATI Blue Plus
Aquablue
Pro Color
Blue Plus
GE Daylight 6500K
Blue Plus

The yellow/green of the ge plays off the red in the pro color nicely, If you like the warm red color try this

Front
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
UVL 75/25
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Actinic White
ATI Blue Plus

The Actinic White and 75/25 both have red in them but also have a lot of actinic, 75% and 50%.

This picture is 1 75/25, 1 actinic white and 4 blue plus. The color is pretty accurate but the corals pop way better than the pic shows.

FullLight3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back