The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14417386#post14417386 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by smleee
4 Bulb Suggestion:

Blue Plus, Super Actinic, Aquasun, Blue Plus
http://tfivetesting.googlepages.com/combinatio

Still applicable? I have the old Current Nova Extreme - no SLRs...

Thanks

Unfortunately I dont have the ability to update that site. Better ideas now.

Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
GE 6500K Daylight
Blue Plus

Running straight actinics just really doesn't do much when all the lights are on. That mix you get the red from the UVL and some nice yellow from the GE so overall the look is bluish but you get good color rendering.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14416276#post14416276 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
Personally I would do 10 lamps.

I think someone here has a 10 lamp PM running, is that you Todd.

Anyway

Front
ATI Blue Plus
KZ Fiji Purple
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Pro Color
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
KZ Fiji Purple
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus

Maybe someone else will chime in

Yeah, I would go 10 bulbs over 30"... I run a 10 bulb Powermodule over 26"wide tank and it's good for me, as I have livestock almost the whole width of the tank (Acros touching the back glass). 10 bulbs over 30" sound just about right. But this would vary, depending on your rock structure and how much livestock you plan on keeping in the 30" width. I've seen plenty of modern tanks with very little rock and huge open space (vast sandbed areas in the front) that could get away with only 8 bulbs over them, particularly if you plan on keeping zoas or LPS in the front. But really, 10 bulbs is your best bet (and really doesn't cost that much more).

Grim... are those pics of your tank??? Looks great!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14419348#post14419348 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
I think your lamp positioning is at least part of the problem.

Front
Blue Plus
Aquablue
Pro Color
Blue Plus
Pro Color
Aquablue

Try that before replacing lamps

Front
ATI Blue Plus
Aquablue
Pro Color
Blue Plus
GE Daylight 6500K
Blue Plus

The yellow/green of the ge plays off the red in the pro color nicely, If you like the warm red color try this

Front
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
UVL 75/25
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Actinic White
ATI Blue Plus

The Actinic White and 75/25 both have red in them but also have a lot of actinic, 75% and 50%.

This picture is 1 75/25, 1 actinic white and 4 blue plus. The color is pretty accurate but the corals pop way better than the pic shows.

FullLight3.jpg

need some help with bulb layouts i have a 8 bulb t5 tek setup with indivdule reflectors i plan on keeping sps lps and softies i want the tank to be bluer i curntly have 4 antic and 4 10k any sugestions

thanks matt

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14419628#post14419628 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jennmac415
Grim... are those pics of your tank??? Looks great!

Thats it, just sold off nearly all my zoos. Thinning things out because we are looking at another house and don't want to move a reef but now we may stay here and just buy a couple rentals, decisions decisions :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14419428#post14419428 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
Unfortunately I dont have the ability to update that site. Better ideas now.

Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
GE 6500K Daylight
Blue Plus

Running straight actinics just really doesn't do much when all the lights are on. That mix you get the red from the UVL and some nice yellow from the GE so overall the look is bluish but you get good color rendering.

Thanks Grim.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14419839#post14419839 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bigmatt1992
need some help with bulb layouts i have a 8 bulb t5 tek setup with indivdule reflectors i plan on keeping sps lps and softies i want the tank to be bluer i curntly have 4 antic and 4 10k any sugestions

thanks matt

Front
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Actinic Blue
ATI Pro Color
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Actinic blue
ATI Blue Plus

Hey,man, thanks, DFason, that's the first good view of a Sunpower I have seen. I really like the Sun's sleek look and shiny finish...

But it's great to see as a Powermodule owner, as you can really see what the extra charges with the PM are forâ€"the cooling vent/holes system, more separation of the bulbs for more active cooling, and just better/nicer quality finish on the interior overall. Of course you pay plenty more for this better cooling and finer interior...!

Here is a pic of the interior of the Powermodule (courtesy of and credit to jamesdawson for the pic), clearly showing the more detailed finish of the Powermodule, including a good view of the holes where the fans flow comes through, cooling the cold spot of the lampsâ€"

DSC00515.jpg

The Sunpower really is a great buy, though, it's going to sell very, very well at its price point, and I love it's sleek sexy silver look...!

Wow....kind of a let down.
I expected a little more with the sunpower.
Is the air coming out both end with this fixture? It looks like it has to with no air ducts to guide the air to the bulb.

I would gladly spend the extra money on the powermodule after seeing these pics.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14409603#post14409603 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
Best depends on what you want to concentrate on. If you just want a few clams to go with LPS and softies using the 2 rows of overdriven lamps with the 8 normally driven rows. If you want more high light critters then the 4 rows overdriven is better

I talked to Greg at Reefgeek and I think I will go with the 10 bulb option. He suggested going with all HO's and upgrading a ballast in the future if there is a demand for the VHO's. Either way, could you suggest a bulb configuration for me? I have no experience here at all. I'm not overally fond of too much blue, but I also don't want a starch white either. Here is one tank that I came across that looked pretty nice. http://www.hausriff.ch/media/DIR_158837/DSC04419.JPG

Also, there will have to be a 1" gap somewhere around the 3-5th bulb from the front because of heavy duty shelf brackets I'm using for a automated hood lift. Not sure if that will have too much of a downside? If that doesn't make sense... I can take pictures.

Here is a picture of the tank. The back is blue acrylic if that plays into any decisions or helps at all.
DSC_0204.jpg

Thanks again for all the help. It's nice to have a resource to turn to!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14421111#post14421111 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zlwags85
I talked to Greg at Reefgeek and I think I will go with the 10 bulb option. He suggested going with all HO's and upgrading a ballast in the future if there is a demand for the VHO's. Either way, could you suggest a bulb configuration for me? I have no experience here at all. I'm not overally fond of too much blue, but I also don't want a starch white either. Here is one tank that I came across that looked pretty nice. http://www.hausriff.ch/media/DIR_158837/DSC04419.JPG

Also, there will have to be a 1" gap somewhere around the 3-5th bulb from the front because of heavy duty shelf brackets I'm using for a automated hood lift. Not sure if that will have too much of a downside? If that doesn't make sense... I can take pictures.

Here is a picture of the tank. The back is blue acrylic if that plays into any decisions or helps at all.

zlwags85, the pic link you posted for the tank you liked the looks of, is that of famed European reefer, Iwan Lasser, know for his great and rich colors. On that tank he ran a 50/50 mixture of ATI AquaBlue Special and ATI Blue+. Here specifically is what he was running over his 220g tank:

2x54 Watt ATI Aquablue Special
2x54 Watt ATI Blue Plus
4x80 Watt ATI Aquablue Special
4x80 Watt ATI Blue Plus
For a total of 856 Watts. The lamps are changed every 6-8 months.

Also, it's important to note that Iwan kept his nutrients very low for such marvelous colors; at one time he was running full blown Zeovit...

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14420831#post14420831 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by painkiller1009
Wow....kind of a let down.
I expected a little more with the sunpower.
Is the air coming out both end with this fixture? It looks like it has to with no air ducts to guide the air to the bulb.

I would gladly spend the extra money on the powermodule after seeing these pics.

If you look at the Sunpower picture there are holes above the lamps just like the Powermodule has. I also think the lamp spacing is identical, will have the pull out the PM and double check that.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14420441#post14420441 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bigmatt1992
will that combo also give me good coral growth

A whole lot more information than you supplied in the above post :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14421417#post14421417 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
If you look at the Sunpower picture there are holes above the lamps just like the Powermodule has. I also think the lamp spacing is identical, will have the pull out the PM and double check that.

Yeah, the difference I see is that the in-flowing air isn't locked into each individual lamps' channel as it is with the Powermodule.

Are there vents at end of the SunPower for the airflow to exit, as with the PM...?

That pic makes the tank look very blue. For that color try

Front
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
ATI Pro Color
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Pro Color
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus

If I remember right Iwan was running Blue Plus and Aquablue only. The two pro colors will add some extra red which will help pink or purple colors.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14421111#post14421111 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zlwags85

DSC_0204.jpg

I am really leaning toward the Powermodule, and have asked for some advice earlier, but did not get a response.. Hopefully someone will help me out...Grim?

I have a tank that is mostly softies, lps and some zoa's. The tank is 48x18x22 or thereabouts. I am running PCs right now, 2 24" blue and 2 24" white..

My question is, will I be ok with the 6x54W fixture or will that pretty much melt the softies? I would like to keep some SPS in the future. Otherwise I was going to opt for the 4x54W.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jason

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14421464#post14421464 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Xartni
I am really leaning toward the Powermodule, and have asked for some advice earlier, but did not get a response.. Hopefully someone will help me out...Grim?

I have a tank that is mostly softies, lps and some zoa's. The tank is 48x18x22 or thereabouts. I am running PCs right now, 2 24" blue and 2 24" white..

My question is, will I be ok with the 6x54W fixture or will that pretty much melt the softies? I would like to keep some SPS in the future. Otherwise I was going to opt for the 4x54W.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jason

6 lamp fixture would be fine, just hang it higher above the tank or use a couple of actinic lamps in the mix to tone down the PAR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back