The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the life of me I can't seem to find a link to Sanjay Joshi's par calculator.

I love my phoenix bulbs but I want to research the par values of mine vs the Radiums. I'm on the fence on what MH bulb to use for my DE lamps.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14196200#post14196200 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Montezuma
Grim, I have a 6 bulb solar flare, and this is my bulb setup.

Front
Blue Plus
Uvl Super Actinic
ATI Pro Color
Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
Blue Plus

I dont feel like my colors are popping so much, also I think the bulb order is a little messed up. Can you recommend a bulb combination. Im about to order new bulbs.
Thanks Grim.

Front
You could maybe try a fiji purple in place of the Pro Color. Maybe the lamps are just old. How long have they been running? The mix you have should be pretty good.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14196238#post14196238 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FranktheTankTx
Grim -

What are your recommendations of 2 or 3 of the better T5 light fixtures. I notice the TEK is popular - but I find it odd that it is not actively cooled. I would think this lack of feature hurts it's output rating.

So what's your suggestion? Maybe a "Best bang for your buck" suggestion as well.

P.S. Probably considering 36" &/or 48" fixtures.

ATI Powermodule

Aquactinics Solar Flare

ATI Sunpower

Aquactinics Constellation

SLS Tek Light

In that order as far as output.

The best bang for the buck is the 6 lamp Sunpower without a doubt. under 550 bux.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14196277#post14196277 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ganjero
how would arrange 3 blue +, one super actinic, 1 uvl aquasun, and 1 ge 6500?

BP
SA
AS
BP
GE
BP

Just wanted to say thanks for advice earlier in this thread (before the split) and after the suggestions here and trying a few different things, this is where I'm at now.
Still open to suggestions if you think there is room for improvement with either different bulbs or just the order. Keep in mind that this is a bowfront and the front bulb starts a little farther back, just behind the bow.

FRONT
ATI Actinic
Geisemann AquaBlue+
Geisemann Actinic+
[space for moonlight led's]
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Aquasun
ATI Blue Plus

458692183_mpBjD-O.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14203475#post14203475 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Montezuma
What bulbs have the most par? Blue +??

More than likly the Aquablue followed by the Blue Plus then GE 6500K Daylight.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14196469#post14196469 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RTBS
Thanks for all the advice.
Heres how it looks with the new tubes, apologies for crappy pictures
P1190128.JPG

P1190129.JPG

P1190130.JPG

4 -- ATI Blue Plus
2 -- ATI 12000K Aquablue
1 -- ATI True Actinic
1 -- ATI Pro Color

Damn I do good work:lol:

Nice tank

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14199974#post14199974 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FranktheTankTx
Where are these fixtures found - some of the normal online stores such as Marine Depot, AquaCave, etc don't seem to have them.

Is the ATI Sunpower even available yet?

Sunpower will be any day. Pre Order from Reefgeek. I think they are just putting names on a list so you don't have to do a deposit or anything

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14200216#post14200216 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pontiac2002gtp
I have 12 36" t5 with geismann bulbs over my 30" deep 72" long mixed reef tank they are fired by 3 icecap 660's and have icecap reflectors what bulbs would you recommend? What's the best way to clean reflectors?
my current bulbs are(per side)
2-actinic plus
2-aquablue plus
2-midday 6000k

heres a pic
Tankpics019.jpg

Fishpics145.jpg

Thanks Phil

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14203677#post14203677 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
More than likly the Aquablue followed by the Blue Plus then GE 6500K Daylight.

So if I go back to this

Front
Blue Plus
Uvl Super Actinic
ATI Pro Color
Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
Blue Plus

what would you change to add more par?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14200314#post14200314 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by saltyVT
If you had to choose bulbs from the list here for a Tx5 what would go with??

ATI Aquablue Special
Koralin Zucht Coral Lights
UVL Aquasun
ATI Actinic
Geisman AquaBlue plus
GE 6500

I'd shoot myself. I assume you have one of each.

Gmann Aquablue
ATI Actinic
Aquasun
Coral Light
ATI Aquablue

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14203783#post14203783 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Montezuma
So if I go back to this

Front
Blue Plus
Uvl Super Actinic
ATI Pro Color
Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
Blue Plus

what would you change to add more par?

Well the Super Actinic and Pro Color are the lowest PAR bulbs in the mix. Click on the red house on Grim's posts. It has all PAR readings there. They are off a little but you still get a good idea.

Change the SA with the 75/25 then replace the Pro Color with an Aquasun. Then where the 75/25 was put in an ATI Aquablue.

Looks like this:

ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Aquasun
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14200467#post14200467 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by inerratum
I am setting up a new tank that can only fit a 3 bulb T5 retrofit, powered by an IC660. The tank will be mostly sps, can anyone suggest which 3 bulbs I should go with?

Thanks

Aquablue
Fiji Purple
Aquablue

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14200598#post14200598 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefhippieyeah
I've got a 24x24x24 and I would like to turn it into an sps tank (Acros middle to top, montis down low) and run t-5's. I would like to retro my own fixture and would like to know if 8x24w ran off of 2 Workhorse 5 ballasts and using individual reflectors (IC? or Tek?) would be fine? Six bulb setup ok?

What bulb combo would you recommend as well?

I aint a fan of Workhorse so I am not sure but I think the 5 can run 4 24 watt lamps

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus

Run the Blue Plus on one ballast for dusk/dawn. You might try a 75/25 mixed in.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14200987#post14200987 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cham
Hi Grim,
I just bought a Giesmann 11k to use as a white bulb but I've been reading that the GE 6500k might be better. Does it have much better par or are they similar?

Right now I have a 48" two 250w HQI running Phoenix 14k, that should cover the blues nicely. The fixture also has two 54w T5 slots and I bought a Giesmann 11k, ATI pro color, UVL aqua sun, ATI blue +.

Right now I have the Giesmann & pro color in so that I have a white spectrum, red spectrum & my blues from phoenix.

What changes if any would you make?

This is over a 120g 48x24x24 SPS only tank.

If you like the red the pro color adds you could try running 2 UVL 75/25. They add a little red and actinic as well. The 14L halides have little actinic. If you want more blue you could do a Blue Plus in front and the Pro Color behind (or the 75/25). The Aquablue lamp is pretty damn close to what the Phoenix 14K does.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14202205#post14202205 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chris&Mel
Hi there, I bought a 36" nova sundial a few months ago. Now I know the stock bulbs are garbage so I want to line up some new ones. I have no idea what to get or what brands to look for.
I have a 18" deep 60gal and have room for 4 bulbs in this fixture. Right now I have some softies and LPS.....in the future I'd like to put a few SPS in the upper part of the tank.
Could you recommend a good combo that will have nice color and will have the right spectrum for my corals?

Thanx for your help
Chris

ATI Blue Plus
Fiji Purple
Aquablue
Blue Plus

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14202670#post14202670 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by silence88
so iam thinking of getting the 4 bulb light what would be a good combo of bulbs to use?
the lights i can order are aqua science, URI, giesmann, figi purple and i think thats it

Front

Actinic Plus Gmann
fiji purple
Gmann Midday
Actinic Plus

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14203382#post14203382 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cham
For the life of me I can't seem to find a link to Sanjay Joshi's par calculator.

I love my phoenix bulbs but I want to research the par values of mine vs the Radiums. I'm on the fence on what MH bulb to use for my DE lamps.

Sanjay's site has been moved. You can find it HERE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back