The Ultimate DIY Rocks!

From my understanding in a nutshell you pour the rock let in dry/moist CURE for around 3 weeks and THEN release the salt and after start the KURE?

I've been reading this thread for years along with other sources and the general consensus seems to be that this is a good way to do it, so it's the procedure that I'm following too, only mine have been dry curing for weeks now and I have yet to soak them.

There are other ways to do it successfully though, as you've seen in this monster thread, and also some recipes that don't work so well. I guess it's DIY and FIFY (find out for yourself) :lmao:

BTW, I'll be following your blog. I'll be looking at your tank quite a bit since I'm doing something similar, a US version, but an oyster reef. I'm sure that I can learn from your experiences.

Thanks Chasmodes for confirming that. Yeah I guess there is a good bit of FOFY ;-) Did my first rocks from the "preferred recipe" method and it still isnt sticking together... Well, I guess materials can very so much that everybody has to finetune the recipies to suit themselves. But its great fun :)

Cool thanks, I hope you can find something useful from my blog. I am only in the native marine hobby since 1.5 years now but its so brilliantly exiting! Let me know when have your setup ready, would love to see it.

Question, what is a reef safe paint to use? I've heard Krylon fusion. Just curious if anyone else has used something else. Real reef rock must use something. I have older rock I want purple. Yes yes I know it will cover over time, but for now. Please let me know.

I've heard of people using the purple pvc glue as a "paint" on their pipes in the tank. Like, when they connected the plumbing they smeared it all over the place. Idk how it turned out, but you could google that. Also, some people add pigment to the diy cement itself, idk if there's a particular one or just find a food-safe one. Iirc that's what reef rocks does. If the rocks already made I guess you'd be stuck finding some kind of stain for it... Maybe look at what they use in kitchens? My friend has some fancy cement counters that are stained a nice color so that could be an option. But really, patience is prolly the easiest.

I just tried out the mini rock sauna trick using a cooler and pressure cooker. My curing times seem to have been greatly reduced using it. My first batch was curing for weeks in water and my PH tests were off the charts. Second batch I tried using the sauna and within days were already showing levels well below that of the max PH my strips can read.

i use the salt to just give texture and it washes out easily.
to create voids i use balloons cover them with the mix throw the salt at it .
pop the balloons after set and pull them out

Planning on attempting DIY rocks in the near future and was wondering a couple of things. I plan on mixing in rock salt that is about marble sized right before I mold the rocks. How much does the salt melt (thereby making the holes it creates smaller) and what size do you think the holes will be after cure?

I'm thinking 2:1 quickrete to aragonite sand and mixing it half and half with small (pea size) medium (marble size) and large (golf ball size) rock salt. to give it a somewhat lacy rock with lots of holes like that from BRS.

I found that salt significantly reduces strength during cure and permanently afterwards.

I only used it as surface texturing and then later moved away completely.

There are online reviews that talk about concrete failing years later due to the salt content remaining in the mix.

I know if fine-grained salt is mixed with concrete it will dissolve leaving not much concrete to hold together to itself. Sort of a really lacy rock. I'm hoping to replicate rather holey rock using gravel sized rock salt. More like the first picture attached than the second. Maybe a few larger holes like the second pic but mostly small holes.

Here in the north-east we use a ton of salt on the roads to control the snow and ice and the concrete definitely takes a beating from the salt.

I'm wondering if a dryer concrete/sand mixture would dissolve the rock salt less during the cure. I can soak the rock in DI water and replace the water daily to remove the dissolved salt, I just need to slow down the salt dissolving during the cure period. Being hot and humid where I'll be curing the rock I'm hoping it'll cure quickly.

Know of any concrete-friendly materials that dissolve quickly in water? I know I can use balloons filled with liquid or sand to create the larger holes, as long as they meet the outside of the rock, what other items would you recommend?

Attachments

• Coral-Base-Rock.jpg
    Coral-Base-Rock.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1
  • texas_holey-rock.jpg
    texas_holey-rock.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I tried that. The peanuts don't mix well and don't stick to the concrete mix. They should melt in vinegar so my idea was to dip them in vinegar to make air pockets... It just didn't work. The structure was too fragile and brittle.

Same with Cheerios :)
They also sucked the water out too fast. It made the cement cure funny and be unstable.
Plus the peanuts are starch, cereal made a big mess of the water I used. I bet they would too.

Back