Thos with Vortechs

Capt_Cully

I'm getting used to my 2 MP40s. I'm not sure I'm getting the flow I want, but I'm used to the point and blast flow of powerheads and the directed, laminar flow of Tunze streams.

When I put the alkalinity portion of BRS 2part into the display, I note that the whole body of water appears to be rolling, but not fast. I intended on establishing a gyre, it looks successful.

Those with Vortechs, do you notice high flow areas or is the whole mass of the water collumn moving?

i think mine has a more high flow for the first foot or so directly in front of the vortech with the rest of the water moving forward just not as hard.

2-part should go into the sump, not the display - put into a high flow area of the sump - I dose into the top turbulence of the return section.

The MP40s have a nice smooth flow, not the "sharp pointed" of the tunze - once you get more corals in you should see the full tank movement better. I just lost one of mine and a single MP40 can whip the corals on the opposite side of the 120 (4ft).

With nothing in the tank, I'm using the 2 part as tracers to examine flow. I have BRS disrespect in the box ready for action once the hood is complete and ancillary systems are in place.

I'm trying to determine if I need a third MP40. I'm thinking I've got enough flow, but its new school flow. Observing it reminds me of open ocean flow.

What setting are the mp40's on? Different settings will give you different flow patterns. Also, where are they in your tank? Placement affects everything, especially relative to your aqua scape. My pair of mp10's have my whole 45g cube rockin and rolling on any setting above ~50%. Try moving them around to see if you can get the flow you want. Might as well make sure you need another one, they're not cheap haha.

MP60 here

MP60 here

i think mine has a more high flow for the first foot or so directly in front of the vortech with the rest of the water moving forward just not as hard.
once a gyre is established from my MP60 (takes at least 15 seconds in my aquarium) the whole aquarium circulates in a somewhat even fashion except the areas around my penductors.

Water at surface rocks- especially around that pink/red Pocillipora we were talking about in another thread.

I was watching a couple of big chunks of alkalinity supplement. I essentially have 2 gyres. Looking in the side panel there is a lower clockwise gyre that moves like the second hand of a clock, say 45 seconds for a chunk to go 360 degree. Upper third or quarter of tank has a counter clockwise roll back towards overflow which is a bit faster. It rolls nicely over the highest point of the aquascape in the back right hand corner where I plan to have stags growing upward.

Does this roll sound adequate? If it was your tank would you want the gyre rolling faster? FWIW I'm getting decent surface aggitation when the reefcrest mode kicks all the way up.

Let me see if this works, I can kind of appreciate it, but here's a video. Can you see the upper gyre rotation with the deliniation being at the Vortechs. The lower gyre has a much bigger, slower roll.

I mean I guess it's pretty hard to see. I'll try another vid at feeding time, see if that captures it.

But look how easily the fish swim around. Doesn't seem to be a ton of directed current in there, which I guess it the point. I'm used to seeing them hit the flow of a Tunze and take off across the reefscape :fish1:

Back