Through the Looking Glass

what is your export system? Do you run gfo or anything?

How often are you feeding your fish and what do you aim to keep alk at?

what is your export system? Do you run gfo or anything?

How often are you feeding your fish and what do you aim to keep alk at?

Hey Cody,

For export: protein skimmer, chaeto in refugium, siporax in sump and refugium, 10% weekly water change. I use to run gfo but not currently

I feed the fish at least once and mostly twice a day, usually flakes and pellets but occasionally frozen food. In the display, my alk is around 7.5 managed by a calcium reactor

I really like chalices especially old school ones. this one is making a comeback. I believe I have enough nitrates but every once in a while, an lps will just slowly wither away. This one was on its way out and I placed it in my frag tank--it did better there and I just put it back in the display. I hope it does well.

Thanks for your kind remarks & I was born in 03/59.

You're just a kid, I started first grade that year.

Just got this baby yesterday. It is indeed a small frag but hopefully with a little patience and luck, it will do well. I appreciate most of you are not into named coral, but I have want this one for a while. These pictures are shot under metal halides with t5s.

Reef Raft USA Angry Bird

I have had these next two for a little while and I am optimistic that they will turn out pretty.

Thanks for the nice pictures.For my part i appreciate when you give the name of yours frags,it give me an idea of what said coral might look light in my tank (mh + t5).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're just a kid, I started first grade that year.

Just got this baby yesterday. It is indeed a small frag but hopefully with a little patience and luck, it will do well. I appreciate most of you are not into named coral, but I have want this one for a while. These pictures are shot under metal halides with t5s.

Reef Raft USA Angry Bird

I have had these next two for a little while and I am optimistic that they will turn out pretty.

Love these! I missed my chance on an angry bird earlier this year.. but those two others look really special. Can't wait to see them in a bit..
Well, you and olddude out do me by at least 7 years.. sorry, but thanks for making me feel a bit younger. Doesn't happen that often.. ;)

My Angry Bird doesn't seem to grow. It's just chillin in stasis I guess. Hopefully one day it wakes up and starts taking off.

I have taken a gazillion pictures of this coral, but I somehow can not capture how beautiful the blue is in it. this coral was originally imported into Canada and I fortunately was able to get a piece a couple years ago.

Blueberry Wine

Probably one of the most underrated, under noticed corals out there!
And one of the hardest to photograph.
It is really unique in the metallic blue/purple tones it has.
I absolutely adore this coral.
And when it's happy, it's a very good grower.
Your colonie is getting big!

Love that Blueberry Wine. That light blue color is fantastic. Glad to see everything is going good.

Thank you, the tank is in a happy stage at the moment.

More metal halide photos from this morning (that means no led supplements were on):

Reef Raft Canada Ultimate Orange Passion

I know the next photo looks photoshopped but its not. Corrected to 20k temp and exposure corrected. Metal halides and t5's, no leds. When you get into the body color it transitions from pink tips to orangish. But the bright yellow polyps are everywhere.

Z's Yellow eyed jawdropper

I have taken lots of pictures of the following coral but have had a hard time capturing how pretty it really is. Its called Z1. This photo is also with metal halides and t5's but no leds. You can see the rock work and coralline algae at the bottom of the picture for color reference.

Z1

A great reefing buddy shared this frag with me a while back. It is showing some great color potential. My friend always has the best colored coral of anyone I know. I am using a new macro lens and so its fun taking pictures. The field of depth is certainly shallow. The purple haze at the base of this frag is my rock work.

The next one has really tight branching. It has awesome color. Its called Z's Favorite. You can see some of my rock work in the right hand corner.

Z's Favorite

I have two colonies of the Pink Floyd. One in high light and one much lower down in the tank.

Reef Raft USA Pink Floyd

Last edited:
Man o man those are happy corals.
Just superb.
That Pink Floyd is just amazing. The true yellow and red polyps, with that pe- it's just incredible.
Your buddy's piece also looks fantastic.

Awesome update =).. Thanks for sharing always look forward to the notification for you and a few others threads cause I know I get to drool..

I didn't Google it yet but where are the "Z's" corals from? A distributor or store? Your thread is the first I've heard of them and man they are some fricken stunners..

Man o man those are happy corals.
Just superb.
That Pink Floyd is just amazing. The true yellow and red polyps, with that pe- it's just incredible.
Your buddy's piece also looks fantastic.

Thank you
Awesome update =).. Thanks for sharing always look forward to the notification for you and a few others threads cause I know I get to drool..

I didn't Google it yet but where are the "Z's" corals from? A distributor or store? Your thread is the first I've heard of them and man they are some fricken stunners..
Z is indeed my secret weapon. Best darn coral grower that I know. Sometimes you get lucky and find a great coral connection.
I am curious how the coral you showed in post #844 looks now. Any recent pics?

Working on digging those up. I usually label about 1/2 my photos on lightroom even though I wish I labeled (keyword) all of them so I could track them easier.

A coral doing pretty well right now. It is interesting how over the course of time, you'll notice one coral not exactly unhappy but just not as colorful as you remember. This coral went through a browning out stage to some extent but has really come back nicely.

And a little chalice under some blue light, it looks good under white but this is with a little help from blue leds.

On a side note, me kessil refugium light failed after two years plus. It would overheat then turn off and then later turn back on. It was an H150 magenta. Well Kessil, although it was out of warranty and no longer manufactured, kindly allowed me to upgrade to an H350 deep purple at a very nominal cost. Pretty wonderful customer service at Kessil. Glad I kept the invoice from my original purchase though. I switched from the magenta to purple because I understand that may be the best choice for chaeto growth. Just replaced it last night so I will see how it does.

Back