Time to end it...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9880959#post9880959 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tacocat

Duec may own a 29g, but it's stocked like a 75g. :D

lol...a reactor would probably allow me to keep the pH more stable that is for sure. I've done the quick fix for now, and made a dripper that will add the alk suppliments over much longer periods of time...

I tend to be leary of reactors based on the finicky nature I often hear they have. Given that, combining it with the small gallonage,(and assuming someone would probably have a larger setup for this tank because it would be used, and originally on a tank at least 2x if not 3x the size), I was thinking it would be overkill.

But to my own admission, I have not had the reactor set up and use a two part with a doser. I feel it is a very simple and straight forward approach and am probably a bit biased towards it and believe a perfect application for this situation, needed stuff to buy and size under the tank. Mine probably takes up 1 sq ft under my sump.

For size, equipment needed, cost(debateable), and simplicity considering the application.....I vote 2-part. But as mentioned, the other can work.

Got an idea.......just for fun, lets compare the two options on cost, space required for equipment, and maintence schedule. Lets put together a couple of shopping lists of packages and see how they compare. Lets start with three price ranges #1 el cheapo, #2 middle of the road, #3 "Keepin up with the Jonses" high end qizmos. Lets select it for an "average consumption" stocked SPS tank say in the 75g-90g range......is this the average tank size for most?

By doing this we can compare the two options. Base on the average need for a large tank, it should apply to this one as I agree with the above.

At the very least, people, (and me about reactors to see if I am incorrect with the above), will learn what is required for both methods........

Since I have more experience with the two part I will put together a couple of those......I encrourage others to do the same, especially for the reactor setup. Please use normal suppliers, not your first cousins Louie's neighbors best friend who can "hook" you up. Lets make this a real world comparison.

Someone may even want to throw in the Kalk one as an option as well just to give another alternative, but has limitations as have been mentioned

Last edited:
FYI Doug, and I am not trying to hijack a thread, but once I got my reactor dialed in and I took off my training wheels, my life has been a lot easier. I still do my regular testings, but once there are a lot of corals, your calcium and alk intake goes way up. Plus, what happens if you actually want to leave town for a couple of days. I know that is not allowed in this hobby, but it is nice to dream.

I bought my reactor used and it has been in use for 6 months. I spent 400 bucks for everything and for an extra thing of media. That should last me two years. I was spending 25 bucks a month on two part, lets see...25 bucks x 24 months= me being ahead at the two year mark.

BTW, while I am out of town, you can come over and look at my bubble counter :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9882172#post9882172 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Marko9
Plus, what happens if you actually want to leave town for a couple of days. I know that is not allowed in this hobby, but it is nice to dream.

That truely is a major problem...I haven't been able to take a weekend off to go camping or anything, let alone go on vacation for about two years now...Right now my maintainence schedual has me home every eight hours to add the alk suppliments.

As far as compairing 2-pt w/ doser to a calcium reactor. The 2-pt system is probably deffently much cheaper to set up and maintain. For this application you would need at least a two channel pump, and the best I've seen would be Aqua Medic Reefdoser â€"œ Twin which runs about $230...pretty expensive, but cheaper than a reactor fully set up. However, even though I think this is probably the best doseing setup out there, I personally think the pump heads and tubing size are a bit large for my preferences. The cost of the solutions drop way down if you make them yourself. I think I paid something like $10 for five pounds of dowflake durring the last group buy, and it's lasted me probably about a year, and for alk. I just buy the bulk baking soda boxes. BTW..anyone know where I can get some more dowflake?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9880959#post9880959 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tacocat
Typically, it IS the wrong application given the size of the tank, but IME, it is the correct application given the tank's demand. The statement that leads me to believe a Ca reactor (a small one) would work is because deuc mentions that he has issues keeping the alkalinity up. Ca reactors are excellent for keeping alkalinity high. Kalkwasser actually depresses alkalinity.

In addition, a reactor would gradually add alkalinity and calcium through out the day versus adding it in larger doses, which can be more problematic in smaller aquariums.

Duec may own a 29g, but it's stocked like a 75g. :D

:confused: Ive always understood it to be the exact opposite.
Kalkwasser shoots alkalinity up, at least IME. And with calcium, by nature drives alk down, hence the need for a 2 part sollution.

-Justin

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9893635#post9893635 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Justin74
:confused: Ive always understood it to be the exact opposite.
Kalkwasser shoots alkalinity up, at least IME. And with calcium, by nature drives alk down, hence the need for a 2 part sollution.

-Justin

Kalk helps maintain alkalinity to a degree, but a calcium reactor is much more efficient at raising alkalinity.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/sh/feature/index.php

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9881296#post9881296 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dots
I tend to be leary of reactors based on the finicky nature I often hear they have.

Thos people are dorks. :D Some reactors are easier to adjust than others. My Schuran is definitely one of the more finicky reactors. IME, any reactor that you can pressurize is easy to adjust. I recommend the GEO reactors to most anybody looking at getting one. I had one, and it was a set and forget machine. I set the drip rate, and adjusted the bubble count accordingly.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9892089#post9892089 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dots
http://www.twopartsolution.com/

No deal there IMO....I was looking more for a hardware store locally that sells the DowFlake....wich sould be about 1/10 the price he is asking..without delivery costs. It's just hard to find de-icer in the sacramento valley when summer is coming. LOL

Speaking of... I just ordered and received there 5lb of Mississippi Kalk, and must sayIm thoroughly happy with the product! For 20$ shipped, it will easily last me a couple years. Very fast desolving, quality product! Dont know if it was pure coicidence, but noticed excellenct P.E. the next day that was hard not to notice!

-Justin

Back